dive computer

Wrist, console...for recreational or technical diving. Questions and information.

dive computer

Postby netmystar » Tue Dec 18, 2007 7:08 am

Hi just found out my computer is had it. can anyone recommend a cheap basic computer
netmystar

Postby nathanbarlow » Wed Dec 19, 2007 9:07 am

what do you need it to do?

If just using air as your gas, with little/no deco diving you cant go far wrong with anything - just look around and get what you find has the most 'natural' logical layout. I've got a Suunto Favor S, whihc does that job pretty nicely. Nice and easy to use, though i did get a bit confused with the deco mode as its a bit basic for that. I'll probably need to upgrade in a yr or two

However, if you think you will end up doing the various voodoo gases and want/need gas switching, the Uwatec/Aladdins or the higher end Suuntos look pretty good in my opinion. Or just go the whole hog and get a VR3 haha.

You're welcome to borrow my suunto sometime if you wanna try it out..
가장 큰 짐이 있는 큰가지, 낮게 걸림새에는
(The bough that has largest load, hang lowest)
nathanbarlow

thanks

Postby netmystar » Wed Dec 19, 2007 9:19 am

just doing air so am looking at Suunto Gekko
netmystar

Postby nathanbarlow » Wed Dec 19, 2007 9:34 am

are you likely to want to do deco diving and/or nitrox in the near future? If so, you probably want to look at getting a one with multiple gases with variable O2% value

Otheriwse the Gekko looks pretty good feature-wise, with the option of going down the nitrox (as a backgas) route later if you want.
가장 큰 짐이 있는 큰가지, 낮게 걸림새에는
(The bough that has largest load, hang lowest)
nathanbarlow

Postby Xman » Wed Dec 19, 2007 1:42 pm

nathanbarlow wrote:are you likely to want to do deco diving and/or nitrox in the near future? If so, you probably want to look at getting a one with multiple gases with variable O2% value

Otheriwse the Gekko looks pretty good feature-wise, with the option of going down the nitrox (as a backgas) route later if you want.

Not necessarily. Once you get to multiple gases, a lot of people would go with pre calculated plans and backps rather than relying on the computer deco. I think it is important to have gauge mode though.

The Gekko is just a simpler Vyper, and I like my vyper. Far from flashy, but tried and tested, reliable, and easy to change batteries on.

The Favor S and other similar puck style computers are fine too, but make sure you never NEVER allow them to completely run out of batteries, as their model is in memory that will be lost if battery power is lost, resulting in a worthless hockey puck with a non functioning LCD screen.
ImageXman
Forum Moderator
Xman

Postby bluey » Wed Dec 19, 2007 5:33 pm

I've been really happy with my Gekko.
When I bought it about a year ago, there was an offer to hand in your old computer (dead or alive) and get 30% discount. Not sure if the offer still stands but worth asking.
bluey

Re: thanks

Postby skipjack » Wed Dec 19, 2007 8:10 pm

netmystar wrote:just doing air so am looking at Suunto Gekko

The Suunto Gekko is an awesome basic computer! Nice and simple, easy to use, good for normal every day diving. I have a Cobra, but would go for a Gekko now as the air intergration is a bit of a pain.
skipjack

Postby netmystar » Sun Dec 23, 2007 7:10 am

Hi all ended up buying a oceanic veo 200 wrist computer money was tight so i rang the crowd i was going to buy the gecko off to see if they had any second hand computer and managed to get the veo (shop demo) for 150 us
which brings me to the next question does any one know were i can get a cheap usb cable for downloading the dive info of my computer
netmystar

Return to Dive Computers