What computer do you dive with?

Wrist, console...for recreational or technical diving. Questions and information.

Postby Packhorse » Mon Feb 12, 2007 9:46 pm

Andy wrote:

yeah, probably a nice slow ascent? lots of off gassing as you ascend.

us navy tables kinda suck, though. did you compare them to standard buhlmann?

Was off the chart for buhlmann tables.
It was a multilevel dive with 5 min or less at 46m
Its hard to plan a multilevel dive. As they say
"No plan survives the water"
Packhorse

Postby Andy » Tue Feb 13, 2007 1:12 pm

Xman wrote:I find it super conservative, so turn it to gauge mode if doing any deco normally. I don't often get the chance to do a lot of repetitive dives :(

I admit it, I'm a geek... I tend to leave mine in computer mode just to compare the stops with the VPM ones.

Interestingly enough (well, for me anyway) there's a huge difference between air and nitrox - much more than you would account for by the ratio of extra nitrogen. it's super super conservative on air, with the last stop dragging on (i'd normally blow the stop).
Andy
Serial Poster

Postby nitrox » Tue May 15, 2007 2:56 pm

D9 Suunto , Wrist mounted , air integrated computer can down load to pc and print out , easy to use
nitrox

Postby Space Kat (=^.^=) » Tue May 15, 2007 3:04 pm

Very nice, they're also a full decompression computer but for the money I think I'd still go a VR3.

Currently I use a Sherwood Wisdom AI Nitrox / Full Decompression computer that appears to run quite closely with the Suunto algorithm.
Space Kat (=^.^=)

Postby Andy » Tue May 15, 2007 3:26 pm

Space Kat (=^.^=) wrote:Very nice, they're also a full decompression computer but for the money I think I'd still go a VR3.

VR3s not as expensive as you might think... ok, I only paid for half of mine and my olds paid for the rest as a birthday present...

But it cost me less landed in NZ than some dive shops are charging for Suunto Cobras or Uwatec SmartCOMs....
Andy
Serial Poster

Postby Space Kat (=^.^=) » Tue May 15, 2007 3:32 pm

Oooh - do tell me more :D What did it cost all up and where did you get it from, the UK ?
Space Kat (=^.^=)

Postby Andy » Tue May 15, 2007 3:37 pm

I paid about $1300 for mine. I got lucky in that it cleared customs without GST, so could potentially have been just under $1500 if I'd got caught for GST....

The going price for a Cobra is aroun $1700, and SmartCOMs around $1995. So, ok, they're air integrated but so what???
Andy
Serial Poster

Postby Hybrid » Tue May 15, 2007 3:39 pm

Space Kat (=^.^=) wrote:Oooh - do tell me more :D What did it cost all up and where did you get it from, the UK ?

Just buy three of them then sell two of them on TM to pay for your one. Thats how I bought my vytec :)
Hybrid

Postby Martin-PK Divers » Tue May 15, 2007 5:49 pm

Or break into Andy's place. There is a nice new VR3 in there...

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Martin-PK Divers

Postby Xman » Tue May 15, 2007 6:02 pm

Martin-PK Divers wrote:Or break into Andy's place. There is a nice new VR3 in there...

Yeah, but it isn't colour.......
ImageXman
Forum Moderator
Xman

Postby Space Kat (=^.^=) » Tue May 15, 2007 6:02 pm

$1300 isnt bad tho.. who cares about having an AI computer, techies should have backups of everything - so as long as the backup computer has a pressure gauge then your sweet aye?
Space Kat (=^.^=)

Postby Andy » Tue May 15, 2007 6:07 pm

Xman wrote:
Martin-PK Divers wrote:Or break into Andy's place. There is a nice new VR3 in there...

Yeah, but it isn't colour.......

It's also hidden amongst my dirty underwear..... which will deter most thieves, I reckon!
Andy
Serial Poster

Re: What computer do you dive with?

Postby P38 » Sat Apr 04, 2009 5:09 pm

I still use my Mares Surveyor which I bought new in 1999.

Works great for me.
P38

Postby Discus » Sun Apr 05, 2009 7:52 am

I used to use an Eon which I found superb, now have a Cobra 2 which is good but doesn't display all the info without pushing buttons (Eon scrolled automatically). Don't like the compass on the Cobra 2 so I went back to a real one. Also the Cobra only has a 5min surface time before it thinks you are on a new dive.
Discus

Postby ScubaDog » Thu Apr 09, 2009 7:43 pm

Suunto Coba, Vyper, Vytec DS and just picked up a VR3
ScubaDog

PreviousNext

Return to Dive Computers