Computer Comparison

Wrist, console...for recreational or technical diving. Questions and information.

Computer Comparison

Postby Buck Rogers » Sun Apr 20, 2008 11:08 am

Hello All,

I would be interested to hear from people who have owned or used either of the following computers as to pro's and cons.

I'm looking at getting either a Suunto Mosquito ($315 US) or a Suunto Vyper ($359US) / Vyper 2 ($499 - is there really much difference apart form the electronic compass and is that a bit of a "pay me lots of money for somewhat limited tech?") and am curious to pro's and con's for either. Before I get recommendations to go for a Vytec (I know you love yours Andy and Flipper!) it's out of my price range, even through Ebay and US sites so let's stay clear of that one!

My needs for it at this stage are purely recreational - but in the future I will probably look to do some Nitrox diving so that is a consideration as I don't want to be re-buying any time soon!
I definitely want a wrist model (not a hunter me) and 'style' doesn't really matter for me - I don't care what it looks like! Apart from that it would be cold water, up to 40m depth at this stage (probably a lot less to be honest!). I'm looking for reliability, battery life and ease of use.

Happy to consider other computers in that kind of price bracket but have been put off Oceanic ones due to last computer I had - constantly telling me battery is dead!

ta for help.
Probably the best dive club in the World... www.sods.co.nz
Buck Rogers

Re: Computer Comparison

Postby DiveDiva » Sun Apr 20, 2008 2:06 pm

I would go for the Suunto Mosquito because it is solid and good value for money. I'm not sure what the Vyper has to offer in terms of addtional functionality but I do know you're pretty safe with the Mosquito.
DiveDiva
Forum Administrator
DiveDiva
Forum Administrator

Postby justsimon » Sun Apr 20, 2008 6:01 pm

I replaced my ancient matrix a couple of months back with a gekko. I was thinking about a vyper but the matrix died all of a sudden, straight after I'd just got a drysuit so was constrained by funds. The gekko is fine and (so far) works for what I want it for - recreational diving, single tank with air. It will do nitrox. I've cable tied my old compass on the back until I can get around to replacing it, prob with a wrist mount.
justsimon
U/W Photographic genius

Postby Andy » Sun Apr 20, 2008 7:05 pm

To be honest, Buck.... any Suunto computer gets my vote.

The mosquito is fine, but consider how visible the display is as it's a lost smaller than you'd get with the vyper. The actual algorithm is likely to be the same - though I think the vyper 2 now has deep stops? I'd have to check to be sure.

Deep stops are well worth a few extra $$$s. Graduated ascents will reduce the likiehood of type II DCS (which affects the CNS rather than body tissues) and you'll feel much better after a dive. Sure, you can introduce deep stops and graduated ascents using a computer where the algorithm doesn't have them - but you'll get pinged for the time on the stops.

I'd suggest going to a Suunto stockist and playing with both options - looking at how intuitive the interaction/menus are and how big the display is. I'll check up tomorrow about the introduction of the DS algorithm in the Vyper 2 tomorrow.

I think Flipper is going to be putting his Vytec in the bin and swapping it for something more simple after our GUE course this week!! You might be able to make him an offer......
Andy
Serial Poster

Postby Buck Rogers » Sun Apr 20, 2008 11:00 pm

I'll be having a look this week - it would appear that Leisurepro are shut for a week for Passover so I have a little time.
Buck Rogers

Postby blee017 » Mon Apr 21, 2008 4:03 am

Gekko seems to be a trimmed down version of Vyper without 1) backlight, 2) gauge mode, and 3) PC download.
There is a get-around for PC download so it's not an issue. (don't you love it when manufacturers pay to block certain functions on a lower-end model? :x )

Leisurepro uses UPS and they hold packages until GST on the total including shipping is fully paid.
So factor in additional 12.5% on the total that Leisurepro charges.
I have yet to pay GST on packages sent via USPS so it might be worthwhile to find a seller who's willing to do USPS, perhaps an eBay seller.
blee017

Postby Andy » Mon Apr 21, 2008 10:02 am

Buck Rogers wrote:I'll be having a look this week - it would appear that Leisurepro are shut for a week for Passover so I have a little time.

Had a look at the Suunto website, and it looks like there are three differences between the Vyper and the Vyper2. Firstly, the electronic compass.... I don't know how useful this really is other than giving a general idea of direction?? I certainly would prefer to do precise navigation with a real compass. Second is the introudction of the deep stop algorithm. I like this feature on my Vytec, but it has one drawback.... when you switch it into DS mode it gives you either a 1 or a 2 minute stop at half way between your max depth and the current ceiling - in recreational terms that's a stop at about half your maximum depth.

Unfortunately, what it does is also switch off the count down of a three minute stop at 6m. There's nothing tos top you doing a shallow safety stop, there just isn't a prompt to do so. You get used to it fairly quickly, particularly if you're diving with someone who has a computer that prompts for a safety stop anyway. The other option is to get into the habit of doing a staged ascent over the last 10m or so. IMHO, a safety stop is more about getting control of your ascent in that top ten meters rather than prevent any DCS issues.

The final difference is that they've changed the display, primarily it seems to incorporate the electronic compass. Here's how the Vyper looks;

and here the Vyper2;

I prefer the layout of the display on the Vyper - possibly as it's the same as my Vytec, mind you! I really don't like the fact that if you switch into compass mode on the Vyper2 that you actually (seem to, at least) lose your dive time and your no deco time displays in order to see both a general heading (N, NE etc) plus what seems to be a precise bearing.

If you want, Buck, you're more than welcome to borrow my Vytec - if I change it back to the default settings it will look and feel exactly like an old Vyper. You'd get an idea on how intuitive (or not as the case may be) it is at 30m or so.
Andy
Serial Poster

Postby Andy » Mon Apr 21, 2008 10:07 am

Oh, one last thing.... the Vyper2 seems to have an extra button..... four buttons on a computer?? Also the plastic mount with button covers is a bit of a salt trap, when I took my Vytec out of that mount there was rust spots.

I bought one of these for my Vytec;

http://www.divingniknaks.com/proddetail ... d=dssvyper

A fantastic bit of kit, a lot less fiddly than the Suunto strap and a lot cleaner as well. It's also two seperate loops of bungee, so less likely to ever lose the computer if something breaks.
Andy
Serial Poster

Postby DiveDiva » Mon Apr 21, 2008 10:09 am

And just to throw in some confusion...I have a Cobra 2 console AND I LOVE IT!! Aie integration rocks 8)
DiveDiva
Forum Administrator
DiveDiva
Forum Administrator

Postby Andy » Mon Apr 21, 2008 11:02 am

DiveDiva wrote:And just to throw in some confusion...I have a Cobra 2 console AND I LOVE IT!! Aie integration rocks 8)

Do you lose the no deco time and dive time from the display when you use the compass??

I like my old cobra, but not really an option if Buck is looking for a wrist option.
Andy
Serial Poster

Postby DiveDiva » Mon Apr 21, 2008 11:04 am

Andy wrote:
DiveDiva wrote:And just to throw in some confusion...I have a Cobra 2 console AND I LOVE IT!! Aie integration rocks 8)

Do you lose the no deco time and dive time from the display when you use the compass??

I like my old cobra, but not really an option if Buck is looking for a wrist option.

Yes you do for the brief time you're using the compass but you can flick back and forth easily. That's true, 'tis a console (which I much prefer as it's a lot less likely I will lose it!!) I had a Mares Nemo wrist computer for a while but I didn't really rate that.
DiveDiva
Forum Administrator
DiveDiva
Forum Administrator

Postby Buck Rogers » Mon Apr 21, 2008 12:49 pm

thanks for opinions, I think that I am going to go for a Vyper1. I decided that the premium required for an electronic compass, and gas switching which I won't use for a number of years ye - and when I do I will probably buy a new comp anyway and make this a backup, just wasn't worth the money.
The deep stops thing was interesting for a time, but again - I can control this myself and have yet to get close to a no deco limit on my diving (air becomes an issue much quicker than that!) so again - $140 (US) premium over the Vyper1 just doesn't make sense.

Add to that the chance of getting it considerably cheaper than the $359us through ebay right now and I'll see how that pans out. $359 is the most I will need to pay so I'm pretty happy anyway if the ebay doesn't work out.
Buck Rogers

Postby Buck Rogers » Mon Apr 21, 2008 1:39 pm

so I got a Vyper 1, off ebay for $420 nz, inc shipping, inc usb data cable and software, boxed inc manuals. 12 dives old.
cheapest new I could get that was over $600NZ!
very chuffed and now waiting for it to arrive! :D
Buck Rogers

Postby Buck Rogers » Mon Apr 21, 2008 2:29 pm

Andy wrote:I bought one of these for my Vytec;

http://www.divingniknaks.com/proddetail ... d=dssvyper

A fantastic bit of kit, a lot less fiddly than the Suunto strap and a lot cleaner as well. It's also two seperate loops of bungee, so less likely to ever lose the computer if something breaks.

hey - they don't look a bad piece of kit. stupid question time - do you need to buy the bungee seperately, and how much do you actually need?
Buck Rogers

Postby Andy » Mon Apr 21, 2008 4:07 pm

I think the Vyper was probably the better choice, Buck. You'll get on fine with it.

Re: the bungee for the computer mount, don't buy it from divingniknaks.... just go to Bivouac or another outdoor shop and buy a metre of it from them.

The mount rocks - you can also buy direct from the manufacturer, http://www.deepseasupply.com - might be slightly cheaper, particularly given the state of the US$.
Andy
Serial Poster

Next

Return to Dive Computers