Suunto cobra3

Wrist, console...for recreational or technical diving. Questions and information.

Suunto cobra3

Postby Wayne » Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:38 pm

Any one know the price on the Suunto cobra3? or used one? just wondering what the compass is like to use. and weather it's worth looking at?
Wayne

Re: Suunto cobra3

Postby DiveDiva » Wed Apr 29, 2009 9:45 pm

Wayne wrote:Any one know the price on the Suunto cobra3? or used one? just wondering what the compass is like to use. and weather it's worth looking at?

I have a Cobra 2 with a digital compass. I like it, personally... although it did take my little brain a while to learn how to use it!
DiveDiva
Forum Administrator
DiveDiva
Forum Administrator

Postby tara » Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:01 pm

i had a play with a Cobra3 tonight and i was rather impressed. awesome screen on it!
the 45 degree tilt on the compass makes it easy to hold and use too.

i can rustle you up a price in the morning.
tara
Dive Mistress

Postby binklebonk » Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:25 pm

$1564 landed in NZ incl GST From http://www.scubastore.com

I've bought a ton of stuff from them and they have a very good reputation for warranty honouring.
binklebonk

Postby Wayne » Sat May 02, 2009 4:46 pm

tara wrote:i had a play with a Cobra3 tonight and i was rather impressed. awesome screen on it!

Hi, did you find a price? As I would like to buy it in NZ not over seas.
Wayne

Postby binklebonk » Sat May 02, 2009 5:08 pm

Wayne wrote:
tara wrote:i had a play with a Cobra3 tonight and i was rather impressed. awesome screen on it!

Hi, did you find a price? As I would like to buy it in NZ not over seas.

Each to their own of course and I would not try to dissuade you from that choice, but I am curious as to your reasoning?
binklebonk

Postby Wayne » Sat May 02, 2009 5:22 pm

I like to support local shops when ever I can. All so Suunto use to never sell on line so they would be a grey market thing and if something goes wrong I don't want to be left with a head ache and a bigger bill than if I just paid a bit more the first time.
Wayne

Postby binklebonk » Sat May 02, 2009 5:37 pm

Fair enough you must have much deeper pockets than myself. I should reopen one of the LDS is gouging us threads... :wink:
binklebonk

Postby gingerninja » Sat May 02, 2009 5:58 pm

Wayne wrote:I like to support local shops when ever I can.

Good on you for doing so Wayne, but I believe you will pay a sh*tload for this computer as evil aquanaut charge heaps.

If you aren't dead set on a cobra3 try looking at other brands. Oceanic/Aeris is one brand that springs to mind. I know Dive HQ Westhaven (Auckland) has them in stock, and they seem to be heaps cheaper than equivelent Suunto products.
Willie Apiata is the reason why Osama is hiding.
gingerninja

Postby binklebonk » Sat May 02, 2009 6:22 pm

Wayne wrote:I like to support local shops when ever I can.

Aquanaut Pty Ltd is a wholly Australian owned company

*Source http://www.aquanaut.co.nz/

And believe me they are the ones who really profit...

Just think you'll probably pay.. oh at a guess, about the $2500 mark for the cobra3. The local LDS would see a profit of perhaps (and I'm really starting to pluck numbers outta my a*** now but I have to in order to support my rant) $400 something like that.

So with the extra $1000 I'd save buying on the net I could..

1, Give $400 to the LDS to show my appreciation for them being a business. and still have $600.
2, Spend $1000 on dive charters (I think all the charters in NZ are wholly NZ owned?).
3, Give it to a worthy cause like.. http://www.trashvoyage.com/
4, Get involved with the fight to liberate those gold reserves held against the will of a grieving disenfranchised former dictators widow in a Nigerian bank..

I could also if I was to be canny about it, put aside $30 just in case something needed warranty work so I could send it back to the seller...

Disclaimer. I do not have financial interest in where anyone buys gear and I don't really care, I just like to see fellow divers know options before shelling out their cash. YMMV!
binklebonk

Postby Andy » Sat May 02, 2009 6:28 pm

To be fair, it's always worth trying your local dive shop before buying online. Sometimes, not always, they will come down to close to an internet price if they can negogiate something with the wholesaler and/or be prepared to take a hit themselves. It costs nothing to ask.

You might get a better deal on the Cobra 2 right now, Wayne. In fact, the original Cobra will be going cheap. I got a pretty good quote on a Vytec2 a few weeks ago from Global Dive, thanks to Aquanaut's Easter sale. Still waiting to see whether my Vytex DS comes back from Finland repaired before committing.

Out of curiousity, on the Aquanaut front, my other half was in some legal training a whiles back and apparently Aquanaut were used as a case study because (presumably in Aus?) they were done for price fixing. No idea of the truth behind it, anyone know?
Andy
Serial Poster

Postby binklebonk » Sat May 02, 2009 6:32 pm

Andy wrote:Out of curiousity, on the Aquanaut front, my other half was in some legal training a whiles back and apparently Aquanaut were used as a case study because (presumably in Aus?) they were done for price fixing. No idea of the truth behind it, anyone know?

No, but i'm never too shy to speculate.. or gossip.. :lol:
binklebonk

Postby Wayne » Sat May 02, 2009 8:00 pm

Yes I know I may pay more if I go the LDS way, but I want to give them first chance, you never know. But as there is no Aquanaut sockets in town, I can't just go and have a look at one or ask them the price. That is why I'm asking here, hoping someone would know the price or has used one and what they think about them.

Any idea what Oceanic/Aeris has that compare to the Cobra 3 or if I'm aloud to dream the D9?
Wayne

Postby kevfish » Sat May 02, 2009 8:45 pm

binklebonk wrote:
Andy wrote:Out of curiousity, on the Aquanaut front, my other half was in some legal training a whiles back and apparently Aquanaut were used as a case study because (presumably in Aus?) they were done for price fixing. No idea of the truth behind it, anyone know?

No, but i'm never too shy to speculate.. or gossip.. :lol:

Fits in with my beliefs!
Love my Cobra2 btw - did have to send it back to the UK after a fault, 2 yrs after I bought it, bu they were sweet :lol:

Local LDS are at the MERCY of the local wholesaler - nugh said
Kevin Delonge
www.oceanblue.co.nz Poor Knights Liveaboards
'It is better to have lived one day as a tiger than a thousand as a sheep' - Alison Hargreaves RIP
kevfish

Postby tara » Sat May 02, 2009 9:27 pm

Wayne wrote:Hi, did you find a price? As I would like to buy it in NZ not over seas.

woops, yes i did.

Retail price for Cobra 3 is $2350 incl GST and 5 year warranty.
Global Dive club members get 10% off this.
tara
Dive Mistress

Next

Return to Dive Computers