Dive Computers - wrist vs gauges

Wrist, console...for recreational or technical diving. Questions and information.

Dive Computers - wrist vs gauges

Postby Chels » Wed Jun 10, 2009 5:44 pm

I've had a quick look and can't find anything that strictly talks about this on the forum...so i'm wanting to know what people prefer...having a wrist computer or having your computer mounted on your gauges (you get my drift can't work out how to word it properly late on a Wednesday arvo 8) ) and why you prefer your set up?

I'm looking at buying a computer in the not too distant future and currently use a wrist comp (thanks Nem!) but have heard different opinions...so really want to see where people are coming from and why they like their wrist/gauge mounted computer!

So fire away...
To infinity and beyond!!!
Chels
NIGHTDIVERS99 Crew

Re: Dive Computers - wrist vs gauges

Postby binklebonk » Wed Jun 10, 2009 6:57 pm

Computer on wrist is the shiz! No question! anyone who tries to argue otherwise is your enemy! Destroy them!!!

:D

But seriously I can only think of one way the brick mounting is better and that is that you have less chance of losing it...
binklebonk

Postby justsimon » Wed Jun 10, 2009 7:24 pm

I have mine with my gauges and am considering moving it to a wrist mount.
justsimon
U/W Photographic genius

Postby NEMES1S » Wed Jun 10, 2009 7:39 pm

Well there is a bit of personal preference,the "Recreational" divers tend to go for the guages mounted on the "block" as was previously mentioned,I have heard all manner of reasons for this....everything from "Its just better" right the way though to "Well its one less thing for me to lose"...
Realisitcally I think one of the best reasons I heard for not going wrist mounted was from the "Hunter's" reason of course is having a wrist mounted guage it will get damaged everytime you reach into a hole for a Crayfish...

Now for the "Tech" crew there is only one real option and that is wrist mounting,"Hunting" is definately not an issue,from Justsimon/and photographers perspective's I would imagine with a big serious camera it would be far easier to look at a wrist mounted guage than have to draw out a retracted console.
One major benefit I find is you can clearly see you ascent rate without really moving out of trim or having anything in your hands,also sitting at safety stops or deco stops...watching the time count down.
Having the compass on the left and PC on the right works great as to can have you hands clasped in front of you or just in front of you and you can hover and clearly see both as you move around.

Another thing is when in tight environments like wrecks and caves one less dangling line can be very useful.

Mind you THIS is never a good look in any environment...the classic guages dragging in the silt or worse octi...

Heres one on the camera side of things...to some extent illustrating what I was talking about.

NEMES1S
Moderator / NIGHTDIVERS99 Crew

Postby Paul » Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:04 pm

Like wot Nem said. Wrists for me.

Easier to travel with too if you're renting gear.
Who needs a hobby when you have an obsession?
Paul

Postby Chels » Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:00 am

Thanks gents!!! You've pretty much convinced me to stick with the wrist mounted computer...i'm not much of a hunter and do want (at some stage!) to get into uw photography....so the pros for a wrist mount outweigh the pros for a gauge mounted comp!! Thanks again
To infinity and beyond!!!
Chels
NIGHTDIVERS99 Crew

Postby guru » Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:19 am

One of the few good arguments i've had for gauge=mounted is you can have air-integrated without the need for the expensive (and breakable) electric sender on the first stage.
Self confessed IT hack and genuine nutjob.
Wise words of Mr Miyagi: "Don't forget breathe..very important!"
guru

Postby binklebonk » Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:22 am

What benefit is air integrated?
binklebonk

Postby guru » Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:28 am

binklebonk wrote:What benefit is air integrated?

Digital vs Analogue gauge, Warning on air levels ( and yes you should know this but i'm just listing features), calculator on bottom time remaining relating to air in the tank, incl decom times (again, proper planning). I'm sure there are more.

I know one of the definate downsides is that if your computer fails then you are unable to read your current air-levels, although some by design always show air level in case of failure.
guru

Postby NEMES1S » Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:35 am

guru wrote:

Digital vs Analogue gauge, Warning on air levels ( and yes you should know this but i'm just listing features), calculator on bottom time remaining relating to air in the tank, incl decom times (again, proper planning). I'm sure there are more.

I know one of the definate downsides is that if your computer fails then you are unable to read your current air-levels, although some by design always show air level in case of failure.

KISS....Digital vs Analog SPG.... Analog please... :D no batteries to fail...nice and Simple... :D
NEMES1S
Moderator / NIGHTDIVERS99 Crew

Postby binklebonk » Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:38 am

guru wrote:

So features for sure, but what what are the benefits? Can you say without reservation that your diving is enhanced by having this?
binklebonk

Postby guru » Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:01 pm

binklebonk wrote:So features for sure, but what what are the benefits? Can you say without reservation that your diving is enhanced by having this?

Not personally. I was more inferring that if someone wanted the option of air integrated, then there are benefits of having it on the console instead of wrist. Not that air integrated is actually a benefit itself.
guru

Postby gingerninja » Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:59 pm

binklebonk wrote:
guru wrote:

So features for sure, but what what are the benefits? Can you say without reservation that your diving is enhanced by having this?

Only one instrument to look at.
gingerninja

Postby binklebonk » Thu Jun 11, 2009 2:24 pm

Aye true.. I would still prefer to diversify my instrumentation portfolio. :wink:
binklebonk

Postby ChuckyBob » Thu Jun 11, 2009 6:12 pm

Analogue SPG's still fail.
When they do fail it may not be obvious .
When a digital SPG fails its going to be much more obvious.

Still, Im moving to a analogue SPG.
ChuckyBob

Next

Return to Dive Computers