Oceanic HUD mask/computer system

Wrist, console...for recreational or technical diving. Questions and information.

Postby Packhorse » Tue Apr 10, 2007 10:19 pm

DiveDiva wrote:Wonder how much this will cost in NZ....around $1000??

DD

How much for a good mask? How much for a good wireless AI computer?
Add them both together and x2.

My guess is $2495RRP
Packhorse

Postby Martin-PK Divers » Tue Apr 10, 2007 10:50 pm

They are quoting $1600 US.

Frankly, i don't care. If the actual release model is as nice as the one i got to handle and put on my face then i'm customer No.1.
Martin-PK Divers

Postby powley » Wed Apr 11, 2007 12:05 am

cant imagine having people jabbeing at me while Im trying to have a peaceful dive
death can be fatal
powley

Postby PoorKnightsDiver » Wed Apr 11, 2007 12:06 am

powley wrote:cant imagine having people jabbeing at me while Im trying to have a peaceful dive

Any other comments that will put him off it, will be gratefully received :wink:
PoorKnightsDiver

Postby powley » Wed Apr 11, 2007 10:16 am

PoorKnightsDiver wrote:
powley wrote:cant imagine having people jabbeing at me while Im trying to have a peaceful dive

well he would be the 1 jabbering, you ever tried to shut him up??? :lol:
death can be fatal
powley

Postby PoorKnightsDiver » Wed Apr 11, 2007 10:40 am

powley wrote:
PoorKnightsDiver wrote:

well he would be the 1 jabbering, you ever tried to shut him up??? :lol:

We all know that would be a hopeless task! (Bless :wink: )
PoorKnightsDiver

Re: Oceanic HUD mask/computer system

Postby NEMES1S » Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:17 am

I hate to dredge up this old ghost thread... *tumbleweed blows past*....

But I was wondering has anybody had a go with one of these?
Are they a gimmick or is it REALLY something the US Navy uses..?

The reason I ask is that AERIS has by the looks of things bought and re-branded the idea for half the price under the name AERIS Compumask Dive Computer.
They are on Trade Me for $1200.00 compared to the OCEANIC one at $2000+.
Sport DIVER mag has been doing an ongoing review on the Datamask and have said nothing but good things about it,apart from the slightly restricted veiw out of one eye.

Features are:

In-Mask Air Integrated Dive Computer Technology. The CompuMask HUD Mask contains a miniature liquid crystal display (LCD) panel, proprietary in-mask Digital Optic System, microprocessor, depth transducer, wireless cylinder pressure receiver, diver replaceable battery, and controlling software. The Digital Optic System allows you to keep your eyes focused on the dive while presenting critical dive data including: current depth, elapsed dive time, cylinder pressure, and dive time remaining. The optical lens provides a clear, highly magnified image of the LCD, which is viewable regardless of environmental conditions and may be seen clearly by the vast majority of people, regardless of vision.

In-Mask Digital Optic System
Wireless Air Integration
Advanced Free Dive Mode
Patented Air Time Remaining Algorithm
Full-Time Air Time Remaining Display
Dive Time Remaining
Turn-Around Pressure Alarm
Oversized Digits
Audible Alarms
Audible Alarm Acknowledgement
Air or Nitrox
AERIS Personal Dive Computer Algorithm
Personal Conservative Factor Adjustment
"The Ultimate Adjustable Algorithm"
No Deco Safety Stop Prompt with Adjustable Depth and Time
FastSet User Interface
Date and Time Stamp
Alphanumeric Display
Automatic Altitude Compensation
Diver-Replaceable Batteries
Battery Hot Swap
24-Hour Fly Countdown and Calculated Desaturation Time
Depth-Dependent Ascent Rate
Adjustable OceanGlo Backlighting
24 Dive On-Unit Log Book
History Mode
ACI PC Download and Settings Upload Interface
Split Set Mode Access

USER SETTINGS AND OPTIONS

Air or Nitrox
FO2 50% Default On/Off
Receiver ON/OFF
Dive Mode Selection
Audible Alarm On/Off
Maximum Depth Alarm
Elapsed Dive Time Alarm
Nitrogen Tissue Loading Bar Graph Alarm
Dive Time Remaining Alarm
Turn-Around Pressure Alarm
Ending Pressure Alarm
Maximum PO2 Level Alarm (Nitrox)
Water Activation On/Off
Units of Measurement
Automatic Safety Stop Prompt with Adjustable Depth and Time
Personal Conservative Factor
User-Defined Backlight Duration and Intensity
PC Interface Sampling Rate
Transmitter Link Cord

NEMES1S
Moderator / NIGHTDIVERS99 Crew

Postby Andy » Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:51 am

This year hasn't been a good year for me.... twice after a long surface swim I've forgotten that my mask has been on my head, and pulled my hood off to watch the mask disappear. DOH! Image

Not that big a deal at $90 or so a mask, but at $1200 to $2000!?!?! :mrgreen:

I also think you'd look a right pillock in the bar after a dive, with your mask in your hand writing out your log book!
Andy
Serial Poster

Postby NEMES1S » Thu Oct 02, 2008 10:38 am

Andy wrote:I also think you'd look a right pillock in the bar after a dive, with your mask in your hand writing out your log book!
Well thats the end of that then....ha ha ha ha ha :D

I havent heard pillock for ages,or at least since I met my Dad last... :D

"You can be a right pillock at times Rob,bloody hell" ha ha ha he is a laugh a minute...

I think his best was when he was working on a VW Badga Beetle (Beach Buggy DIY ) and the bolt sheared off taking the skin off all his knuckles.
He leapt back threw the cresent at the engine staring at it with a hatred that even the Devil would be proud of then started:

"Of all the f#$king b@stard bloody things,you miserable shyte,hells god dammned bloody bugering bells" ( I can remember it as if it was yesterday,I was hanging off the bench vice hysterical...tears running down my face.) and then the wrath gets turned towards me "And you you giggling b@stard piss off!!" classic.. :lol:
NEMES1S

Postby Andy » Thu Oct 02, 2008 10:53 am

Sounds a laugh a minute, NEM!

Am I right in thinking your Dad's English?? Or have I got the wrong end of the stick? Pillock, like plonker, is a very English word I think...
Andy
Serial Poster

Postby NEMES1S » Thu Oct 02, 2008 11:10 am

Andy wrote:Sounds a laugh a minute, NEM!

Am I right in thinking your Dad's English?? Or have I got the wrong end of the stick? Pillock, like plonker, is a very English word I think...

All of my family are Scottish and I was the one to be born in England as my Dad was working there as an Engineer,also spent a good few years in the Navy so yeah,Pillock,Bollocks,etc all well used terminology... :lol:
NEMES1S

Postby NEMES1S » Thu Oct 02, 2008 11:19 am

So Andy and the team...
What do you guys reccomend for a decent DIVE COMPUTER?

I am using a Cressi Archemede's 2 that Tim the bloody legend gave me to use,I have been thinking for a while now about getting a VYPER or a VYPER 2 (But who wants the compass.. :? ) or going air integrated and going for a VYTEC DS (But at 2k I havent been swayed yet).

The Cressi one does its job but it has a user manual that is so incredibly hopless,unless I am dyslexic...and havent been diagnosed yet.
Its not very user freindly either,the modes are all over the show.
I just want something that tells you all you need to know with a glance,and big enough not to squint,backlit for the Nightdiving,decent strap as it must be wrist mounted.With a user manual in ENGLISH ENGLISH not translated from one language into their version of ENGLISH... :lol:
And maybe a PC download so I ca start logging up my dives on there.

Any suggestions guys....whats the story with the VR2s? again big $$$ I assume,the VR3s are big $$$ if I remeber correctly,but getting either of them would possibly be pointless as I dont YET dive mixed gas and dont do TECHNICAL diving and dont do DEEP diving.
Hmmm....
NEMES1S

Postby Andy » Thu Oct 02, 2008 12:21 pm

Couple of quick comments on th VRs and Suuntos. I've got both a VR3 and a VytecDS, love them both!

There's very little advantage of a VR3 over a VR2 for most divers - more gases and a more solid feel, but to be honest who is going to use more than 4 gases on a singe dive? VR2 is fine.

The VRs aren't that intuitive to use in terms of going through the menus etc, there are sequences of short and long pushes of the buttons. There are screen prompts that help you as you go, but they do take a bit of getting used to. A huge feature of the VRs, though, is that you can access ALL menu functions underwater - not just those in "dive mode". The screen display in dive mode is fairly clear, but there is a lot of information. I particularly like the tissue compartment loading graphs - much richer information that the single bar of consumed bottom time on most computers.

A disadvantage of the VRs is that they do give relatively short bottom times - when I dive with both, my VR3 can be in deco whilst I still have 10 minutes no-deco time on the Vytec. However, once in deco it clears much more quickly than the Vytec.

The Vytec is awesome - I don't have a single negative comment, and you're welcome to take either or both for a spin next time we're in the same place. If you went with a Vytec, you don't have to go air integration which does lower the cost a little. The Vyper is also a good computer - though I'm not a fan of the Vyper 2. The display is not as intuitive, plus if you opt to use the electronic compass you lose your dive information from the screen which is not something I'd be happy about.

There was a thread a while back comparing the VR3 with the Vytec:

viewtopic.php?f=124&t=839
Andy
Serial Poster

Postby NEMES1S » Thu Oct 02, 2008 1:16 pm

Andy wrote:Couple of quick comments on th VRs and Suuntos. I've got both a VR3 and a VytecDS, love them both!

There's very little advantage of a VR3 over a VR2 for most divers - more gases and a more solid feel, but to be honest who is going to use more than 4 gases on a singe dive? VR2 is fine.

The VRs aren't that intuitive to use in terms of going through the menus etc, there are sequences of short and long pushes of the buttons. There are screen prompts that help you as you go, but they do take a bit of getting used to. A huge feature of the VRs, though, is that you can access ALL menu functions underwater - not just those in "dive mode". The screen display in dive mode is fairly clear, but there is a lot of information. I particularly like the tissue compartment loading graphs - much richer information that the single bar of consumed bottom time on most computers.

A disadvantage of the VRs is that they do give relatively short bottom times - when I dive with both, my VR3 can be in deco whilst I still have 10 minutes no-deco time on the Vytec. However, once in deco it clears much more quickly than the Vytec.

The Vytec is awesome - I don't have a single negative comment, and you're welcome to take either or both for a spin next time we're in the same place. If you went with a Vytec, you don't have to go air integration which does lower the cost a little. The Vyper is also a good computer - though I'm not a fan of the Vyper 2. The display is not as intuitive, plus if you opt to use the electronic compass you lose your dive information from the screen which is not something I'd be happy about.

There was a thread a while back comparing the VR3 with the Vytec:

viewtopic.php?f=124&t=839

Great info there Andy cheers,
I am pretty keen on the Vytec what sort of price do they retail at,about 2k isnt it with the transmitter.
And possibly there are better prices from off shore... :lol:

EDIT:
About NZD $1,371.27 from Scuba Store
NEMES1S

Postby Andy » Thu Oct 02, 2008 1:33 pm

Try Global Dive for probably the most competitive NZ price. It's always worth asking a local shop whether they can match an offshore price first.

Deepbluedive in the UK (www.deepbluedive.com) currently have a special on Vytecs, £339 which includes VAT. If they remember to knock VAT off for an international order (they sometimes forget, cheeky gits) that would be £288, or NZ760. Add shipping and GST on to that.and you're still looking at less than $1k.
Andy
Serial Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Dive Computers