Liquivision X1

Wrist, console...for recreational or technical diving. Questions and information.

Liquivision X1

Postby ChrisB » Sat May 15, 2010 11:17 pm

Has anybody seen/played with/tested this ???
Available from: http://www.divegearexpress.com/computers/x1computer.shtml

If so, how does it stack up against the Shearwater Predator or VR3? I am trying to decide at the moment if i should start looking at multi gas deco computers as tech diving is where i see myself heading... must be the group i hang round with haha
Sometimes I think I understand EVERYTHING ---- then I regain consciousness
ChrisB

Re: Liquivision X1

Postby binklebonk » Sun May 16, 2010 12:03 am

Well I have no experience of the X1. I have a Predator and reckon it's great. The predator is stupidly simple to use and seems more robust than a hammer.

Here's a whole bunch of critiques, reviews and gripes on the pros and cons of each. http://www.rebreatherworld.com/liquivision-computers/ http://www.rebreatherworld.com/shearwater-computers/ You'll need to become a member.

The small size, big cost and bumpy tappy interface of the X1 turns me off big time.
binklebonk

Postby tara » Sun May 16, 2010 12:12 am

i think i heard Skip talking about having bought one - or something very very very similar.
tara
Dive Mistress

Postby ChuckyBob » Sun May 16, 2010 8:56 am

Cannt comment on the X1 as I havent even researched it.

But my question to you is why do you need such a computer?

For CCR diving these types of computers are great mainly due to their O2 monitoring and CCR deco abilities but for open circuit its a mammoth investment for something that doesnt really offer you anything more over a multi gas Suunto.

Mind you if you have the spare cash burning a hole in your pocket then why not!
ChuckyBob

Postby ianskip » Sun May 16, 2010 11:07 am

Yeah, I have one. The tapping is OK but I have have had a fair few nuisance taps where it changes menus etc by itself. This probably sounds like it could be quite annoying... and it is! I recently changed the tap sensitivity which has helped and I figure I just need to learn to drive it a little better and the tapping will probably be fine.

For me, it was either Shearwater or X1. Both seem to have a reasonably good reputation but they're different in a few ways.

Things I like about the X1:
Sealed unit with rechargable battery - no oddball battery.
Open platform - can be used with a variety of firmware - I use V-Planner Live which produces plans matching the desktop version of V-Planner.
Can monitor up to 3 O2 cells and has another input channel which in the future could monitor CO2 or He sensors.
Small size
Built in compass
Bright OLED display
Looks cool!

Skip
ianskip
U/W Photographic genius

Postby Andy » Sun May 16, 2010 5:56 pm

I know a few people who have X1s and love them. There are a few early ones that had some issues with the pressure sensors, but that all got cleared up.

In terms of the price, you need to also pay for firmware on top of the unit price... I'm not sure how much extra.

If you want to try a VR3, Chris, you are more than welcome to try mine when we go up to Goat Island. Incidentally, it is for sale at the bargain price of $850. Apart from being completely unintuitive, I love the VR3. I'm still thinking about just keeping it for sentimental reasons. VR3s have been replaced by the VRx, which ain't cheap.... but look at the NHeO that is basically a non-upgradeable VR3 that does trimix out of the box. They were on sale at Dive Gear Express for US$800.

You'll also find that most of the people you hang out with don't use mixed gas computers for serious dives - just a bottom timer. Things like the Suunto Vytec (or Vyper Air) are perfect in that sense... a gauge mode for deeper dives, then pop it into computer mode if you are just doing a little bit of deco or non-deco diving.

There is an alternative to the X1 and Shearwaters...... it's called the OSTC. Mine just arrived last week and I have yet to get it wet.

The OSTC is made by a German company, Heinrichs Weikamp. It's definitely not a mass appeal computer. When you turn it on, the entry screen basically says.... "This product has no warranty, not even the implied warranty that it is fit for use as a dive computer. There is no liability if you use it as such".

The OSTC is a funky little unit:

I ended up getting one of these for a couple of reasons:

1. It is very configurable to suit your preferences
2. It has an average depth display and a resettable stopwatch
3. It is a a trimix computer that has a gauge mode
4. It is "open source" and I am a geek

So you can download the computer code that makes it all work, look at it.... and if you want, change it.

The OSTC is really an OC computer, it does have a CC setpoint mode but no Fischer connection, so not much use for the leaky valve divers. You can get the big brother, the DR5... but it's not got a competitive pricing point in comparison with a Shearwater. It does look good, though:

Andy
Serial Poster

Postby ScubaDog » Sun May 16, 2010 8:58 pm

yep ... and it is a very nice computer with a nifty tappy tappy and tiny compared to the VR3 and simple to use compared to the VR3. No experience with the Shearwater and based on seeing it once at LIDS it's the bomb and bets Windows XP aka cut tables :-)
ScubaDog

Postby ChrisB » Sun May 16, 2010 10:15 pm

Andy wrote:If you want to try a VR3, Chris, you are more than welcome to try mine when we go up to Goat Island.

Thanks Andy - might take you up on that... wouldn't mind trying it

Andy wrote:You'll also find that most of the people you hang out with don't use mixed gas computers for serious dives - just a bottom timer. Things like the Suunto Vytec (or Vyper Air) are perfect in that sense... a gauge mode for deeper dives, then pop it into computer mode if you are just doing a little bit of deco or non-deco diving.

Is that what you regularly do? Does the VR3 allow you to switch modes on the fly? Coz the Nemo excel locks any changes once you get underwater.

I wont be buying anything soon, just very interested in looking at other computers on the market... specially after 'aquiring' a few tanks on the weekend :oops: :twisted:
Sometimes I think I understand EVERYTHING ---- then I regain consciousness
ChrisB

Postby Andy » Sun May 16, 2010 10:33 pm

ChrisB wrote:Thanks Andy - might take you up on that... wouldn't mind trying it

No worries, I'll chuck it in the box.

ChrisB wrote:
Andy wrote:You'll also find that most of the people you hang out with don't use mixed gas computers for serious dives - just a bottom timer. Things like the Suunto Vytec (or Vyper Air) are perfect in that sense... a gauge mode for deeper dives, then pop it into computer mode if you are just doing a little bit of deco or non-deco diving.

Is that what you regularly do? Does the VR3 allow you to switch modes on the fly? Coz the Nemo excel locks any changes once you get underwater.

The VR3 doesn't have a gauge mode, so it's just on. The Sunnto's let you switch from computer to gauge, but not gauge to computer. I wasn't really thinking of dives on the same day.
Andy
Serial Poster

Postby Chriso » Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:42 pm

We have sold about 40 X1's in Australia now.

We had a few issues with the very first ones with the pressure sensors but these have now been changed out for new ones.

The X1 now has dual pressure sensors on board and we have not seen any play up since.
More info is here
http://www.divetub.com.au/dive-computer ... e-computer

Most our customers have swapped to X1's from VR#'s because they wanted a smaller easier to read and much easier to navigate computer.

Cheers
Chriso
Chriso

Return to Dive Computers