Replacement computer

Wrist, console...for recreational or technical diving. Questions and information.

Replacement computer

Postby ChrisB » Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:22 pm

Went out for a dive the other night at Jones Bay... came out with one important piece of kit missing....
So I'm on the hunt for a new computer. I had a Mares Nemo XL and really liked it... however dont have the funds to re-buy it so am looking for some advice on a new model?? I'm aiming for something that covers nitrox standard, and with a view to going more tech in the future?

Any thoughts appreciated
Sometimes I think I understand EVERYTHING ---- then I regain consciousness
ChrisB

Re: Replacement computer

Postby ChuckyBob » Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:54 pm

Get a VR3. They are the best and girls go wild over guys with one.

As it happens I am married and am having trouble with all the girls going wild over me as I dive with my VR3 so sadly I have to sell it.

PM me for details.
ChuckyBob

Postby binklebonk » Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:57 pm

Well I think if you are thinking of doing diving at some stage where you may need gas switching, trimix capability, a clear and simple user interface and bombproof construction then as far as I'm concerned a Shearwater Predator can't be beat.

There are stand alone open circuit models as well as O2 cell monitoring and set point controlling options for rebreathers.

http://www.shearwaterresearch.com/

It's only a matter of time till I have two... :mrgreen:
binklebonk

Postby NEMES1S » Fri Dec 17, 2010 8:22 am

binklebonk wrote:Well I think if you are thinking of doing diving at some stage where you may need gas switching, trimix capability, a clear and simple user interface and bombproof construction then as far as I'm concerned a Shearwater Predator can't be beat.

There are stand alone open circuit models as well as O2 cell monitoring and set point controlling options for rebreathers.

http://www.shearwaterresearch.com/

It's only a matter of time till I have two... :mrgreen:

Seconded...Shearwater...its survived some big knocks in surge in Welly and still ticks,not a scratch on it either....amd also the constant flow of USEFULL firmware updates are a real bonus...!
NEMES1S
Moderator / NIGHTDIVERS99 Crew

Postby ChrisB » Fri Dec 17, 2010 7:08 pm

ok - my question was not quite right... thanks though for your input. I was waiting for insurance to come to the party (which they have and i now have $500 to replace the missing computer) so was looking for right now a computer similar spec to the Nemo so i can continue to dive this summer.
Later in the year, around August I will look hard at the Shearwater or something similar and use the old computer as a backup BT

Are the low cost Suunto's worth buying??? they all seem to be much bigger than the Nemo and I'm thinking I now want one that has bungee attachment instead of a watchstrap that can fail
ChrisB

Postby DeepPenetrator » Fri Dec 17, 2010 8:26 pm

ChrisB wrote:ok - my question was not quite right... thanks though for your input. I was waiting for insurance to come to the party (which they have and i now have $500 to replace the missing computer) so was looking for right now a computer similar spec to the Nemo so i can continue to dive this summer.
Later in the year, around August I will look hard at the Shearwater or something similar and use the old computer as a backup BT

Are the low cost Suunto's worth buying??? they all seem to be much bigger than the Nemo and I'm thinking I now want one that has bungee attachment instead of a watchstrap that can fail

Gekko's are all good, you could pick one up for around that and you can buy the bungie mount for it (or any suunto comp) from http://www.subaquatic.com.au/instrument_mounts.htm email sales@subaquatic.com.au if you want to ask questions or make an order. Only down side with them is they dont have gauge mode unless you violate deco obligations and they tend to be slightly conservative and you cant gas switch or do trimix, I use one and have had no probs. On another tangent im back in AKL in 3 weeks so will need to catch up for a dive.
DeepPenetrator

Postby ChrisB » Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:42 pm

UPDATE: I have replaced the missing computer with an Oceanic Geo --- this at least will allow me to continue diving until i have the funds to find one that matches my skill levels and the types of diving i want to do. On that note, have any of you instructors/techies seen or heard any bad press on these:
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=345781290

Is it worth considering as an option in the future??
ChrisB

Postby ChuckyBob » Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:07 pm

Have not seen one in the flesh.
They look good on paper with lots of cool features but I cant see any mention of Trimix or CCR capabilities.
Now these features may not mean much to you now but you never know whats around the corner!
Since its software upgradable they may bring out a trimix upgrade or even a CCR upgrade ( non cell reading or maybe cell reading through a separate wireless device).

Also it talks about a potted design. It means its probably quite strong but it may also mean that the battery is not replaceable.

For the $$ I'd probably go with a Shearwater though. It may not have as many features but they are a bloody good computer, very reliable and excellent support.
ChuckyBob

Postby binklebonk » Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:32 pm

ChrisB wrote: have any of you instructors/techies seen or heard any bad press on these:
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=345781290

Is it worth considering as an option in the future??

It looks ok at first glance but... here are a few observations I've made.

1, The screen is very cluttered and font size is small.
2, It has a rechargeable battery which can be a total pain in the a*** and costly.
3, It seems to have a very "hand holding" philosophy and there is so much unnecessary stuff.
4, It doesn't support Trimix at the moment, they said it was going to last year.
5, Why oh why should you ever need to spy on your buddies gas and deco status???
6, You have to send it to Zurich for warranty claim.
7, Solar panel on a comp? Gimmick.
8, How old is it? And will it still be in warranty?

$1200 on a punt when there are proven alternatives that are simpler more reliable and more capable?
binklebonk

Postby ChrisB » Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:01 pm

Thanks bink and chucky

It struck me as being a bit overloaded with features/data and a bit gimmicky - cool, but gimmicky. i was also concerned about the warranty/repairs issues too, PITA to get anything done on it. Glad to have your thoughts on it. What would you say are the top say, 5 tech-grade computers and what features are most often used? Assume upgrades to CCR could be possible (unlikely for a few years yet, though) and multiple gas mixes for deco are a must.
ChrisB

Postby binklebonk » Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:10 pm

Sorry Chris on this I am too biased to give any opinion that may be helpful.

But once you've done all the comparing and evaluating the answer will be obvious. :wink:
binklebonk

Postby ChuckyBob » Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:53 pm

In no particular order and brands listed not models...

Shearwater
VR tech
http://liquivision.com/
Suunto
http://www.heinrichsweikamp.net/

If you are unsure of which to choose then check out TDS and RBW forums and see what others have to say.

But 1st work out what functions your really need in a computer.
If doing accelerated deco dives then a DC with multiple gas capabilities is good. If you are doing lots and often then one with Gradient factors or VPM algorithms
is a plus but not really needed.
If you dive trimix infrequently then you could just cut tables for it. If you do it regular then you can probably afford and computer you want.
If you dive a rebreather then one with PPO monitoring is almost mandatory... almost.
ChuckyBob

Return to Dive Computers