NEW World records - DYN 265m, DNF 218m (TVNZ clip added)

Breath-hold diving. Tips and advice.

NEW World records - DYN 265m, DNF 218m (TVNZ clip added)

Postby Phantom Menace » Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:39 am

Dave Mullins will be attempting to break world records in the next few days - if you are in Wellington head along to the pools and support him.

Dynamic Apnea with fins 255m
Nae Nae Pool 25th September 10am - 12pm

Dynamic Apnea no fins 213m
Porirua Aquatic Centre 27th September 10am - 12pm
Last edited by Phantom Menace on Mon Sep 27, 2010 12:12 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Phantom Menace

Re: World records falling ...

Postby Phantom Menace » Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:00 am

Articl from Stuff:
http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/other-sports/4162539/A-remarkable-depth-of-talent

It could be the biggest sports story to come out of Naenae since Ewen "Charlie" Chatfield. Tomorrow, around 11am, the lanky figure of David Mullins will wander onto the Naenae Pool deck, don his wetsuit, strap on his fins, drape an 8.5kg weight around his neck and clamp on a nose clip.

Then, lungs crammed with nearly 15 litres of oxygen, he'll submerge and skim along underwater for about four minutes in pursuit of a world freediving record.

A distance of 255m, held by Frenchman Fred Sessa, is the magic number – a tick over five lengths of the Olympic-length pool.

The 2m-tall Wellingtonian, who works for the Social Development Ministry by day, has double the lung capacity of the average man his height. And he's no novice.

Seven weeks ago he broke Sessa's world record at the 25m Porirua Pool, cruising to a personal best of 257m before coming up for air, but it wasn't recognised because of the absence of official judges.

Nerves and too much adrenaline will be the 29-year-old's biggest enemies this time, in front of two judges from Australia.

"I am confident, but on the downside I've got more pressure and expectation, which is never helpful, especially in freediving because you need to calm down rather than get all excited," Mullins said.

"But on the plus side, that last swim wasn't too hard and this time we've got a longer 50m pool and half the number of turns."

Mullins says the attempt is costing about $6000, which wouldn't have been possible without his sponsors, Placemakers Evans Bay and Dive Kapiti. The biggest cost is flying two judges across the Tasman, sourcing the required doping test kit from the United States and paying the lab fees to get his sample tested.

The discipline is known as dynamic apnoea, with fins. Safely through tomorrow, Mullins will return to Porirua on Monday to have a crack at dynamic apnoea, without fins. The official world record is 213m, and Mullins' national record stands at 232m, so he should get there comfortably.

He came unstuck last month when he tried to do both swims within 24 hours at Porirua.

"An extra day of rest should be enough. If I'm still not feeling up to it I can put it off until Tuesday if I'm not feeling recovered.

"There's a long way back to the next guy in no fins at the moment. With fins there's three or four guys up around the 250m mark, so it's tougher competition."

And, if his lungs aren't screaming, he might chase another PB in front of the judges – static apnoea, which stands at 8min 07sec.

MULLINS will covet the fins world record in the pool but he admits the big one, the glamour record among freedivers, is the constant weight in open water. He's plunged to a depth of 118m, which ranks him third in the world behind Austria's Herbert Nitsch (124m).

"The competition there is even tighter and it's a much, much tougher discipline. That's the one I'm really after."

He hopes to have a crack at that world record at an invitational event in the Bahamas in April. His preparation will take him to Lake Taupo and Rarotonga, the latter venue with its warmer water a better gauge of his progress.
Ad Feedback

"It makes it tougher in Taupo, you have to wear a thicker wetsuit, which means you have more buoyancy," he said.

"I've done 100m in the lake, which is the same as doing 110-115m in the Bahamas. It's good training, but it's not quite the same."
Phantom Menace

Re: World records falling ... (article from Stuff)

Postby Phantom Menace » Sun Sep 26, 2010 9:12 am

Mullins has set a new world record for DYN - 265m
http://tvnz.co.nz/national-news/kiwi-breaks-freediving-world-record-3800931/video

Go along for the DNY attempt if you can!
Phantom Menace

Re: NEW World record - DYN 265m (TVNZ clip added)

Postby ChuckyBob » Sun Sep 26, 2010 10:39 am

Great news. Big congrats to him.

Then, lungs crammed with nearly 15 litres of oxygen,

Did actually prebreath O2?
ChuckyBob

Postby Phantom Menace » Sun Sep 26, 2010 6:23 pm

No, Dave did not pre-breathe O2 - the article shows the typical journalists grasp of fact. It should read 15l of air.

He has a naturally larger lung capacity than most of his size and "packs" before the dive. I am no expert but from the little I know packing involves using the tongue and throat like a piston to "pack" more air than normal into the lungs. I have seen guys doing this and it looks kinda wierd, it looks like the tongue is moving forward then sealing and the muscles are used to pack more air in and the process is repeated quickly.

Check out the start of this video where Chris is packing.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_xCP5kQGq4&feature=related
Phantom Menace

Postby Phantom Menace » Sun Sep 26, 2010 6:39 pm

And a video of the full swim for the record - you can see the packing process reasonably well in this.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0WFDWYNs4Ac
Phantom Menace

Re: NEW World records - DYN 265m, DNF 218m (TVNZ clip added)

Postby Phantom Menace » Mon Sep 27, 2010 12:14 pm

Breaking news ...

Another new WR for Dave Mullins no fins (DNF) 218m and almost a WR from Kathryn McPhee at 161m but she dipped her airway.

This was in the 25m pool at Porirua.
Phantom Menace

Postby binklebonk » Mon Sep 27, 2010 1:35 pm

Wow I wish I could've come along and seen these records being broken. Had to work though..

Well done Dave!
binklebonk

Postby binklebonk » Mon Sep 27, 2010 1:38 pm

Phantom Menace wrote: she dipped her airway.

And "dipping" your airway is ?.....
binklebonk

Postby Phantom Menace » Mon Sep 27, 2010 2:41 pm

Dipping an airway is dropping your mouth into the water during the surface protocol period after you have surfaced.

Apparently there is a strict order in which you need to remove goggles, nose peg etc., signal you are OK, say you are OK and then get the all clear from the judge. I guess all this is to show the judges that you are lucid and not near to blacking out.
Phantom Menace

Postby Phantom Menace » Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:53 pm

Phantom Menace

Return to Freediving