AIDA Individual World Depth Championships 2013

Breath-hold diving. Tips and advice.

Postby Phantom Menace » Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:10 am

Four kiwis are about to compete in this. Dave Mullins (posts here as Mullins occasionally), William Trubridge, Jonathan Sunnex and Kate Middleton.

Link to Will Trubridge Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/williamtrubridge?hc_location=stream

And a recent post by him:
"The New Zealand freediving team has chosen the Maui's Dolphin as their mascot while competing at the World Championships in Kalamata, Greece. David Mullins, Jonathan Sunnex, Kate Middleton and myself will all be attempting to go as deep as possible on a single breath, descending to depths in the same range as the Maui's dolphin's maximum foraging depth.
"It is an honour for us to represent NZ and the Maui's Dolphin at the Aida Individual Depth World Championship. However with the Maui's species in such a critical state then unless it is protected unequivocally throughout its range we will soon lose this iconic species, and then it may no longer be an honour for us to represent our country.."
For more information visit: http://www.hectorsdolphins.com/
"
Phantom Menace

Re: AIDA Individual World Depth Championships 2013

Postby Phantom Menace » Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:52 am

Also, Dave did a constant weight dive of 120m in training over there. The world record is 126m. A quote from him on another website in response to questions about the WR and his 120m in training ...

"Gimme a few more days...."
Phantom Menace

Postby Phantom Menace » Thu Sep 12, 2013 3:47 pm

Womens World Record for Free Immersion (FIM) set in the "pre-competition" phase ...
(FIM is when competitors pull themselves down and up a rope by hand)

Jeanine Grasmeijer of Netherlands set a new AIDA Freediving World Record, in the women’s free immersion (FIM) discipline, with an extraordinary dive to -90m (295 feet). Jeanine broke the previous record, held by Natalia Mochanova, at the 2013 Kalamata Open: the pre-competition to the 2013 AIDA Depth World Championships in Kalamata, Greece, commencing on 16 September. (Coverage of the 2013 AIDA Depth World Championships will be available at: http://www.aidainternational.org/). Jeanine’s dive took approximately 4:20 (all on a single breath of air). Jeanine is 20 years old and only recently started to compete–we expect to hear more from this exciting young diver! - See more at: http://www.aidainternational.org/news/? ... X9rsf.dpuf
Phantom Menace

Postby Phantom Menace » Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:54 pm

Here is some footage of the first day of the mini-comp (pre world champs). The first part is footage of Mike Board's dive. He ruptured an eardrum at 97m and, to quote Mullins ...

"totally lost his sense of balance. tried to swim up spiralled around line, swam sideways, swam back down... Footage from the bottom camera is scary. Finally found the lone which seemed to be going sideways and pulled himself up / along it. Blacked out just below the surface, good effort. "

That is some scary shyte ...

http://youtu.be/xKaR2NhlZnk

It also shows a FIM dive - not sure if it is the new WR dive ???
Last edited by Phantom Menace on Sat Sep 14, 2013 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Phantom Menace

Postby Phantom Menace » Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:32 pm

While the main comp has yet to start the mini-comp is underway.

Dave Mullins has announced a depth of 125m for constant weight (i.e. with a monofin). This would be a new NZ national record and just 1m shy of the current WR. Johnny Sunnex has announced 105m for CWT - again a big dive!

All of this will be preceded by Russian World Record Holder Alexey Molchanov attempting 128m for CWT (extending his WR by 2m if he is successful).

The boundaries of what we think of as humanly posible are being pushed further!!
Phantom Menace

Postby Phantom Menace » Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:44 pm

Update - Mullins has completed his 125m dive successfully but Alexey blacked out deep!

To quote Mullins from a few minutes ago:
"white card for me, 125 in 3:41. Alexei was immediately before me, had a huge blackout attempting 128. Think the first safety picked him up at 40m, well done that man. Plenty of blood so must have been squeezed too.

Jono turned early at 97 but otherwise felt good, kate is diving now
"

(The safety divers are also free-diving so being at 40m to meet a competitor and deal with what ever is happening is quite something!)
Phantom Menace

Postby Ali Perkins » Sat Sep 14, 2013 8:26 am

This is riveting reading. Is there a risk of these people dying in competition?
To view the underwater photography of Alison Perkins from InspiredToDive.com - visit http://www.inspiredtodive.com
Ali Perkins
U/W Photographic genius

Postby Phantom Menace » Sat Sep 14, 2013 8:56 am

Ali, free-diving at this level is an extreme sport IMO. Yes, there is risk!

Here is another comment from Mullins about Alexey's deep BO:
"the first safety handed him up to the second guy with a scooter at 30m, who took him to the surface. Still had potential to go bad though. Plus they broke the second comp line before our dives, lost all the rope with the counterweight"

I don't know if the BO and squeeze has taken the Russian out of the world champs - depends on recovery time I guess.

Mullins has said that he is going to have a crack at -130m in training before making plans for the comp.

It is also worth noting that the BO happened immediately before Mullins did his dive to -125m (previous PB was -118m BTW). I would think it would mess with your head something chronic to see that happen while you are prepping for your own dive to a very similar depth.
Phantom Menace

Postby Phantom Menace » Sat Sep 14, 2013 9:19 am

This youtube video should include Daves -125m dive ... (I am having problems with youtube at the moment so let me know if it works for you)

http://youtu.be/mWh0Ew-Zk6E

FYI: I don't have a special source for my comments - just grabbing info from other fora as I think these guys need more recognition than they get from the media :)
Phantom Menace

Postby Ali Perkins » Sat Sep 14, 2013 9:39 am

These vids are great but why don't they provide a caption identifying the athlete? It would be good to know who we're looking at.
To view the underwater photography of Alison Perkins from InspiredToDive.com - visit http://www.inspiredtodive.com
Ali Perkins
U/W Photographic genius

Postby Phantom Menace » Sat Sep 14, 2013 10:04 am

Good question Ali - captions would be handy!

I did recognise Mullins as the male CWT diver though :)

Note also that William Trubridge is there and did a DNF of -98m (he holds the WR with 101m for this discipline).

It seems there are 3 disciplines for this comp:
* DNF - Dynamic No Fins
* CWT - Constant Weight with fin
* FIM - Free Immersion (pull yourself down the line and back up - with no kicking or arm strokes)
Phantom Menace

Postby Ali Perkins » Sat Sep 14, 2013 10:33 am

I think a subtitle overlay with athlete and discipline would be a great addition to their vids. A sport becomes more interesting when you can follow/know the people.
Ali Perkins
U/W Photographic genius

Postby Phantom Menace » Sat Sep 14, 2013 11:13 am

More kiwi news ...

Kate Middleton set a new NZ womens record for FIM with 60m.

(The NZ mens record is also the world record of 121m set by Will Trubridge a couple of years ago).

Here is a grab from an FB post by Jonathan Sunnex to give you an idea of his failed dive:
"Today I attempted my first PB in nearly a year with an announced performance of 105m CWT. I have to say that many things went right on this dive and in some ways it was the best I've had since arriving.. but I still pulled up short at 96/97m. A combination of rustiness and inattentiveness caused me to loose pressure on equalization and I was too slow in re-acting to re-open my (eustachian) tubes. A little frustrated that I an old problem has come back to haunt me but fingers crossed I can do it better next time! Thanks to everyone for the well wishes and congrats to my team mates David Mullins and Kate Middleton for their new national records!"
Phantom Menace

Postby divepirate » Mon Sep 16, 2013 2:44 pm

Awesome stuff, and good to see the Kiwi's 'getting it on'.
Thanks for the abbreviation definitions as, I have not been involved in the sport, it is good to get some background.

Also very scary, it is a good thing to have the safety divers for the cases where it could go 'horribly wrong'.
Matt.
Forum Administrator.

I cant think of anything more relaxing, than being in the downunder, breathing some nice clean fresh filtered 21% nitrox.
divepirate
Forum Administrator

Postby Phantom Menace » Mon Sep 16, 2013 2:49 pm

Here is the blurb describing the set-up (safety etc.) of the dive platform.

http://www.aidaworldchampionships.com/index.php?option=com_k2&view=itemlist&task=category&id=28:competition-training-setup&Itemid=587

The AIDA 2013 CHAMPIONSHIP event will be based off a 40m2 platform permanently moored at 160m of water 1,3miles off the beach front of the venue hotel. Three motorized counterballast systems will be used for the main dive lines capable of lifting divers at speeds of 2m/s or faster in case of emergency. Two high resolution sonars will be operating on the platform and the dive boat, giving detailed realtime information on the diver’s progress. Traditional counter-ballast system will be available as back up as well as safety scuba on the surface. A fully equipped hospital with an ER is located in the city of Kalamata 15 minutes from our dive location, via our rapid evacuation boat. Medical Staff and Life guards will be available on location to assist in cases of serious incidents. Evacuation will be to Kalamata Harbour approximately 4minutes from the dive location were a fully equipped ambulance will be on standby, to take any athlete requiring treatment, to the Kalamata Hospital (6 minute drive from the port). O2 will be available for cases requiring it and decompression O2 will be available on the dive location. Dry area boats will be available for athletes wishing to warm up dry. 8-10 Warm up lines will be available.

The FreedivingClub safety team comprises of 12 experienced and specifically trained professional competition safety divers with an extensive back ground of safety diving in AIDA depth competitions.

The above set up and crew have been used in the 2011 AIDA Depth World Championships and the very successful Mediterranean World Cup competitions. All factors (team,location,safety procedures,equipment and co-ordination) have been tested and are known to work properly with large numbers of athletes(140+ divers per day).It should be noted that using the above set up through out the 25 days of the 2011 AIDA Depth World Championships no delays or incidents occurred that affected the normal progress of the competition.
Phantom Menace

Next

Return to Freediving