AIDA Individual World Depth Championships 2013

Breath-hold diving. Tips and advice.

Re: AIDA Individual World Depth Championships 2013

Postby Phantom Menace » Mon Sep 16, 2013 2:55 pm

Will Trubridge has announced a depth of 96m (5m shy of his WR of 101m) for CNF. This looks to be the deepest CNF announced.

Natalia Molchanova has announced a depth of 69m for CNF. This would be 1m deeper than her current WR.

Both of these attempts should happen Monday in Greece (ie. overnight tonight NZ time)
Phantom Menace

Postby Phantom Menace » Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:57 pm

Dive Pirate,
There are other acronyms in addition to CWT, FIM and CNF (but these others won't be held at the AIDA Depth WCs).

* Dynamic Apnea without Fins = DNF. Undertaken in a pool, horizontally. Dave Mullins has the current WR at 218m
* Dynamic Apnea (DYN) - again a pool discipline but with fin. Dave did have the WR for this I think but it is currently 281m (Goran Corak of Croatia)
* Static Apnea (STA) - another pool event. breathhold while face down in the water. current WR 11m 35 sec. (Stephen Mifsub)
* Variable Weight Apnea (VWT) - a depth event. Bomb down with a weight, release at depth and swim back under your own steam. (William Winram, 145m)
* No Limits Apnea (NLT) - get down and back on one breath by whatever means you want (scary stuff this!). Current WR is 214m (Herbert Nitsch).

NLT is falling from favour - too suicidal! On an attempt not too long ago Herbert pretty much toasted himself (bent etc.) I believe that AIDA NZ dosen't want to be involved in NLT at all (and hasn't for a long time). It is very open to gear failure - they seem to use weighted sleds to get down and then fill a lift bag to get back up.

I don't know what their thoughts on VWT record attempts are but I imagine it would be similar to NLT.

Here is the AIDA World Record page: http://www.aidainternational.org/competitive/worlds-records

Might see some of these change in the next week or so ...
Phantom Menace

Postby Phantom Menace » Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:46 pm

"Natalija Molchanova WR white card" was the update on the comp FB page. This means a new womens WR for CNF of 69m.

Will Trubridge should be diving in 30 min or is - say completed by 8:15pm ish tonight.
Phantom Menace

Postby Phantom Menace » Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:02 pm

"William surface BO, DQ"

Bugger
Phantom Menace

Postby Phantom Menace » Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:41 pm

I think next comp days are:
* Thursday - CWT (i.e. Thursday night NZ time)
* Saturday 21st - FIM (i.e. Saturday night NZ time)

I would guess that Mullins will be up there in CWT and Trubridge in FIM (but I don't really know which ones they will be focussing on)
Phantom Menace

Postby Phantom Menace » Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:37 am

Here is a video showing the safety divers at work - scary stuff but it does give an idea of how they work.

http://youtu.be/hUAYKjkoOs0

The other safety mechanism they have is to deploy the counter-weight which would then bring the base-plate and tethered diver up to the surface.
Phantom Menace

Postby Ali Perkins » Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:56 pm

How/where do they stash the tag they grab from the bottom?

Watching those people pass out underwater did make me feel a bit ill. It's amazing what they're doing, but I'm not sure it's going to take off as a mega spectator sport. Although people do seem to enjoy watching boxing.
To view the underwater photography of Alison Perkins from InspiredToDive.com - visit http://www.inspiredtodive.com
Ali Perkins
U/W Photographic genius

Postby Phantom Menace » Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:11 pm

Where they stash the tag they grab from the bottom plate depends on the discipline I think. For FIM it looks like the favoured spot is in the mouth while for CWT many seem to hold on to it in one hand as they are not using their arms on the way up. I don't know if some tuck it in somewhere.

The black out and samba things are scary although AIDA haven't had anyone die in a competition setting. No Limits record attempts have been pretty bad IMO. Yes, free-diving is not really a spectator sport.

Mullins is a wealth of knowledge on the physiology of deep free-diving (or what little is really known about it) and it seems that there are no recorded longterm negative side effects from lack of oxygen on deep free-divers. They do however run the risk of getting bent, narced, etc. and therefore most only do one deep dive per day I believe (although I am no expert).

Interestingly at least 90% of the competition free-divers I know (which is not a huge sample :) ) are educated to at least a bachelors degree level with several above this - the sport seems to appeal mostly to those who are self-reliant quiet achievers IMO.
Phantom Menace

Postby Phantom Menace » Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:29 am

CWT announcements are in.

Will Trubridge has announced 120m, Dave Mullins 128m (which would be a new World Record if successful) and Alexei, the current WR holder (126m), has also announced 128m.

Kate Middleton has announced 61m.

These dives should be this evening NZ time (Thursday)

Edit: here is a comment from Mullins ...
"So, Alexey and I are both going for 128m. I'm going first, luckily - because regardless of the outcome of his dive I'm sure there will be a bit of disruption. Guillaume wanted to announce 127m but got sick this morning and has gone for 123m instead. Will is next on 120m, then back to Morgan Bourchis on 105m. Jono is doing 104m along with one of the Greeks."
Phantom Menace

Postby Phantom Menace » Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:57 pm

Will got a white card for his 120m dive so all OK.

The Frenchman turned early.

Dave turned early in his 128m attempt and didn't do the surface protocol so is disqualified.

Alexei got a white card for his 128m dive so has set a new World Record for CWT!!
Phantom Menace

Postby Phantom Menace » Sat Sep 21, 2013 12:11 am

An interesting post on facebook from Will Trubridge about the quandary he was faced with after the world record CWT dive by Alexei (Will go the silver medal).

Free-diving is a developing sport, needs to maintain a solid safety focus (which is a big reason for the surface protocol being so strict) but still let athletes push the boundaries ...

https://www.facebook.com/groups/aida.freediving/permalink/10151567490042202/

Will's original post is there as well as replies from many - including Alexei (who set the new WR) and Guillaume (who placed third).
Phantom Menace

Postby Ali Perkins » Sat Sep 21, 2013 1:12 am

So what was the suspected breach of surface protocol... that he didn't give an okay on the surface?

In the video Alexei looks remarkably perky on the surface afterwards so you can't help thinking he's going to go deeper yet.

I have a question: you set a depth and you try and achieve that. If you turn early and complete the dive with surface protocol, do you get credit for the depth you achieved, or is it just pass/fail on the depth you were going for?
To view the underwater photography of Alison Perkins from InspiredToDive.com - visit http://www.inspiredtodive.com
Ali Perkins
U/W Photographic genius

Postby Ali Perkins » Sat Sep 21, 2013 1:35 am

Does that wrap up the competition?

I could see this sport growing. The athletes are remarkable examples of fine human form. They're competing at something that is really quite raw, and yet graceful. And I can't even fathom the psychology. It's impressive.

I bet the athletes photograph well in their natural habitat - the ocean. Beautiful model material - mind is spinning.
Ali Perkins
U/W Photographic genius

Postby Phantom Menace » Sat Sep 21, 2013 1:01 pm

No Ali, still one more event to go - Free Immersion (FIM).

Kate Middleton has nominated 61m (NZ record if she is successful), Jonathan Sunnex has nominated 95m, Will Trubridge has nominated 115m. Alexi M and a Spanish guy have nominated 110m. Will is the current WR holder and has nominated the greatest depth.

Yes, you need to make it to the baseplate and return with a tag for the dive to be successful. I will dig up the surface protocol rules (I cannot remember the details).

First page of FIM depth nominations / official top times

1274191_674688549209233_1169061369_o.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Phantom Menace on Sat Sep 21, 2013 2:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Phantom Menace

Postby Phantom Menace » Sat Sep 21, 2013 1:04 pm

Extract from the AIDA Summary of rules page: http://www.aidainternational.org/competitive/summary-of-the-rules

"The purpose of the rules is to make the freediving disciplines: safe, measurable, and comparable. Aida educated judges work as a witnesses for the dives and verify that the diver has respected all the Aida competition rules.
In all disciplines there is a safety protocol after the dive containing 3 simple things:

removal of the face equipment (mask or goggles and nose clip)
ok hand sign
and a verbal " I am ok "
And this all has to be done within 15 seconds of surfacing in this specific order.

After the surfacing post-blackout mechanical movements (PBMM) or fainting (black-out) is not allowed. PBMM can be observed after a freedive and is for example dropping or nodding of the head repeatedly as an athlete loses and regains consciousness for short moments over and over again. In these both incidents the dive will be disqualified.

In all depth disciplines the safety lanyard is mandatory. The safety lanyard connects the freediver to the diving rope line. In all depth disciplines dive depth has to be announced beforehand.

Judges have use of three different cards to score the dive:

white card = ok (no deductions)
yellow card = ok with some penalty points
red card = disqualified
A card will be shown by the judge no earlier than 30 seconds after surfacing The judge may elect to hold the card up to one minute to ensure the consciousness of the athlete. Prior to that, the athlete may not be touched or the dive is disqualified!

There are 3 different kinds of competitions: national, international and world championships. There are also world record attempts. World records can be accepted only if there are no penalties in the attempt. For example; the diver must present a tag.
"
Phantom Menace

PreviousNext

Return to Freediving