Greg Holland Jewellery Diamond Deep 2013

Breath-hold diving. Tips and advice.

Greg Holland Jewellery Diamond Deep 2013

Postby Phantom Menace » Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:08 pm

aka Deep Obsession 2013 ...

Yes, the event has a new sponsor and prizes!!! I couldn't figure out how to edit the thread title on the other one so I just started a new one. Rob has asked me to post info about it here so read on ... (below are his words not mine - but I will keep the thread updated with info as he lets me know.)

"Wow, what a week it has been for us organising the Lake Pupuke Freediving Competition on the 30th of November 2013.
A few significant developments since my initial posting!!

The Deep Obsession event is now officially the Greg Holland Jewellery Diamond Deep Freediving Competition. As you can see, we have a brand new name sponsor. In a strong show of support, Greg Holland Jewellery has offered a diamond worth $1000 as a prize for the event and every competitor, regardless of grade, will have a chance to win this prize.

In addition Ocean Hunter has also continued their support of Auckland Freediving and events aimed at developing freedivers and spearos and offered up $850 worth of prizes. This includes store vouchers for the top 3 Male and Female places in the Comp Grade and some significant prizes in the Rec grade, including a brand new set of Rukus for the Rec Grade winner.

Speedo have also shown great support so there will be a number of other spot prizes on the day.

This event is an opportunity for the competition grade divers to get an international AIDA ranking, but it isn't just about the competition Freedivers. It is a great opportunity for people to come and give freediving a try, or maybe even that perfect excuse to improve your spearing depth and bottom time.

More info will be posted in the next few days on how the day will be structured, disciplines and how you can enter. But for those that are keen to give this event a try but aren't sure how it all works. Or maybe you just need some help improving their diving. Auckland Freediving want to make it as easy as possible for you to come and give this a go.

To this end we are organising a 6 week development / build up starting from the 17th of October. The cost for this will be $60 and this covers a pool induction on a club night and 6 practical Lake Sessions. For those that commit to this, we are offering a double your depth on the day of the comp, or your money back guarantee (sorry no Ginsu 2000's thrown in through). The way this will work is the first night at the lake (after pool and then lake safety induction) we will establish what your deepest dive is and if you don't double your depth* on comp day we will refund your $60.

If this sounds like you, send me a Message on the forum, or contact us via the link on http://www.aucklandfreediving.co.nz and we can schedule in a pool induction over the next few weeks so that you are good to go on the 17th at the Lake.

* Note we want to keep things safe on the comp day, so for those doing the Rec Grade dives will be restricted to no greater than 5M more than what you have shown you can safely dive at one of the prior training sessions.

Keep an eye out under this topic for more event details and how to enter!
"
Phantom Menace

Re: Greg Holland Jewellery Diamond Deep 2013

Postby Phantom Menace » Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:51 pm

And the prize pool is ...

Comp Grade:
Male
1st - $100 Ocean Hunter Voucher
2nd - $50 Ocean Hunter Voucher
3rd - $50 Ocean Hunter Voucher
Female
1st - $100 Ocean Hunter Voucher

Rec Grade:
1st - Set of Rukus

Not to mention every one that gets a tag, regardless of grade, goes into the draw for the diamond.
Phantom Menace

Postby Phantom Menace » Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:54 pm

Entry and other details on this link:
http://www.aucklandfreediving.co.nz/diamonddeep
Phantom Menace

Postby Phantom Menace » Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:31 am

And now Rob has convincced me to sign-up for their training programme and enter. I have never done a free-dive competition before so this will be very interesting.
Phantom Menace

Postby Phantom Menace » Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:07 pm

Update on more Comp prizes from Rob:

Speedo have also offered up a box of goodies, Mares have shown some strong support of the sport and the event and come on board with $500 worth of product!
In addition Jonathan Sunnex has also offered a remote coaching or training session (if you go to him) as a prize too. (Jonathan got the bronze medal for Free Immersion at the AIDA World Champs last month with a dive of 95m)
Odds are very good for coming home with some great prizes!
Phantom Menace

Postby Phantom Menace » Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:40 pm

First night in the lake tonight. Safety briefing and practices then into a few dives on the line. Started with 10m to warm up and see how everyone was going then on to 13, 15, 20, 22.5 and finally 25m (with guys stopping at depths they felt comfortable with). Strangely the 22.5m dive was harder than the 25m dive.

If anyone is round Auckland for the next few weeks and feels like learning a bit and having a go at this then there is still the chance to sign-up and begin next week. No need to feel pressured into the deep dives - tonight baselines were set at 10m, 10m, 20, 25m and 25m for different people and the environment is very supportive.
Phantom Menace

Postby Phantom Menace » Fri Oct 25, 2013 12:10 am

Second lake night done. 20m, 25m, 30m and then 35m dives. The 30m and 35m dives were both personal bests for me. I struggled with equalising at depth and 35m will be my limit until I learn how to do a "mouth fill" (i.e. bring air from your lungs when shallower and hold it in your mouth to allow you to equalise deeper).

Luckily Phil from the AFC is planning on running a coaching session on this so heres hoping I get a handle on how to do it.

Others have increased their PBs too e.g. one had got to 10m previously (and struggled to equalise beyond this) - he got to about 12m this time.

The environment is positive and the bulk of the competition comes from yourself - well worth doing if you want to become a better snorkeler / free diver (pretty much no matter what your experience / personal best depth is)
Phantom Menace

Postby Phantom Menace » Fri Oct 25, 2013 12:13 am

Second lake night done. 20m, 25m, 30m and then 35m dives. The 30m and 35m dives were both personal bests for me. I struggled with equalising at depth and 35m will be my limit until I learn how to do a "mouth fill" (i.e. bring air from your lungs when shallower and hold it in your mouth to allow you to equalise deeper).

Luckily Phil from the AFC is planning on running a coaching session on this so heres hoping I get a handle on how to do it.

Others have increased their PBs too e.g. one had got to 10m previously (and struggled to equalise beyond this) - he got to about 12m this time.

The environment is positive and the bulk of the competition comes from yourself - well worth doing if you want to become a better snorkeler / free diver (pretty much no matter what your experience / personal best depth is)
Phantom Menace

Postby Phantom Menace » Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:11 am

To continue my monologue on this :)

Lake training last night was good. One ear was sticking so I had to work hard to equalise on every dive - interesting how this can make a dive harder! Dives were 20m, 25m then a bunch of 30m to consolidate. Had to grunt out a couple of dives following poor duck-dive technique.

Also had a crack at Free Immersion (FIM) for the first time where you pull yourself down the line hand over hand with no fins. 30m was OK but improved technique would make a big difference on this! (and a heavier weight on the base plate so I don't pull it up as I start).
Phantom Menace

Postby AndrewRawlingson » Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:13 am

Keep writing PM, I'm reading!
AndrewRawlingson

Postby Phantom Menace » Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:58 am

OK Andrew, here is this weeks installment … :)

Beautifully calm night last night (after the heavy rain) and the lake has warmed up a little to 18 degrees or so. I was feeling a lot better this week, ears not sticking when equalizing and just more relaxed overall. The aim for this session was to warm up a little (a few 15m and 20m dives with 15 seconds hanging off the base plate) then extend the depth to 30m and finally a couple of 35m dives.

The first 35m dive felt better than the second but overall both were comfortable. Dive times were 1min 25sec and 1:31. I still need to suss out equalising at depth to be able to go deeper. Once I get that sorted then I feel that 40m is a realistic goal (and possibly 45m - but that might need to wait until after the comp as I don't think I will have enough time to build up to that).

It was good to see Nat do a new personal best of 40m and Moss do a 35m dive for a personal best too.

For the comp itself it looks like there are 2 or 3 guys entering who could possibly hit the comp maximum of 50m for two disciplines (Wellingtonian, Aucklander and an Australian).

The comp and training sessions have the elite guys like the above mixing with the new folks, offering advice, encouragement etc. The new folks range from ones with a current PB of 12m to the likes of Nat, Moss and myself with our new PBs of 35m and 40m.
Phantom Menace

Postby rambaldi » Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:37 am

You are really making me wish I had had the time to commit to this :p

Maybe next time around.
rambaldi

Postby Phantom Menace » Fri Nov 08, 2013 2:55 pm

It is actually not taking too much time (as far as these things go). The core was:
* 1 night pool induction - Monday night at Youthtown (safety briefing and practice, maybe a few static breath holds to see how you go, and some dynaimcs to finish off)
* 6 Thursday nights in a row at Lake Pupuke (not a big deal if you were to miss one or two). I have been spending 1 to 1.5 hrs in the water each week.

The first Thursday night included quite a lot on safety and a few practice dives to see how folks should group themselves for the rest of the training i.e. those targeting similar depths train on the same line.

The Auckland Freedive Club are in the lake every Thursday night, Youthtown Monday nights, Panmure Wednesdays, and Henderson Wednesdays too (7pm - 8pm before underwater hockey).

New people are welcome to join in - don't wait for the next comp.
Phantom Menace

Postby rambaldi » Fri Nov 08, 2013 3:06 pm

What are you wearing for all of this? I assume the buoyancy of a spearo suit would make things harder than they need to be? Did you go out and get one of those slick ocean swim suits? I was up at Northland Dive over winter with a guy skin diving (no fins or snorkel, just a mask) in one of those and he seemed pretty happy with his, even at depth despite all us bubblers feeling it a touch. I assume normal spearo fins as well when not doing FIM dives?
rambaldi

Postby Phantom Menace » Fri Nov 08, 2013 3:45 pm

Virtually everyone is using normal 5mm spearo suits and free-dive fins. (some in 5mm tops and 3mm pants but most in 5mm both).

With the reduced buoyancy of fresh water and the depths some are getting to most are only using around 3 or 4kg or so on their weight belts. I have old school 9lb on my belt (4kg) and am thinking of dropping some more off. At the moment I get to negative buoyancy at about 12 - 15m I think so this makes it hard work to start the swim back from the plate.
Phantom Menace

Next

Return to Freediving