Rainbow Warrior

Breath-hold diving. Tips and advice.

Rainbow Warrior

Postby Phantom Menace » Fri Jan 09, 2015 10:35 pm

Spent a week camping at Tauranga Bay with my family over New Years and had a visit from a couple of French free divers so I took them out to the Rainbow Warrior …

http://youtu.be/VeVOzE7NI3Y

Amateur edit done on my phone while away camping and no music.
Phantom Menace

Re: Rainbow Warrior

Postby divepirate » Mon Jan 12, 2015 10:38 am

Awesome.
It must be very cool to be freediving and see the ghostly shape of the wreck as it becomes slowly clearer.
visibility seems to be a bit average, is that the case or is it distorted by the camera.

great post, have you got any more info..
I,e,
How long were you up there?
How many divable days?

did you have a good new year?
all the best.
Matt.
Forum Administrator.

I cant think of anything more relaxing, than being in the downunder, breathing some nice clean fresh filtered 21% nitrox.
divepirate
Forum Administrator

Postby Phantom Menace » Mon Jan 12, 2015 2:44 pm

It was easy to drift away from above the wreck between dives so I did a few dives to the sand to find no sign of the boat at all … Yes, the "ghostly shape becoming clearer" was what I saw in the first dive I included in that short video. I had drifted a little off the wreck before I dove so only saw it when I looked round and was close to the sand so I had to swim sideways to find the thing.

I did a few other drops on to the wreck but I somehow got my "Video on / Video off" sequencing mucked up and ended up with chunks of surface footage between dives rather than the dives themselves … (call me a rookie!)

We were camping up that way from 28/12 - 6/1 and the visibility was decidedly average the whole time - particularly on the coast. I got a few swims in with the speargun in hand while others were line fishing etc. at Stephensons, the Cavallis and on the coast but nothing too spectacular made it to the dinner plate. There were a few kingfish round but most of the ones I saw were borderline legal so I left them alone. In terms of divable days - every day would have been OK with the possible exception of New Years Eve - but I had a funeral to attend in Russell that day anyway.

There was a little bit of excitement on the beach on New Years Day morning as one of the boats had broken free from its anchor over night and been rolled in the waves (there was a bit of a small storm overnight with strong winds etc.). 16ft runabout with a 70 hp outboard had it's windscreen smashed off and filled to the gunnels with sand. A bunch of us helped dig it out and get it back onto the trailer - New Years Day sand castle time for adults …
Phantom Menace

Postby divepirate » Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:49 pm

awesome update.
thank you.
Matt.
Forum Administrator.

I cant think of anything more relaxing, than being in the downunder, breathing some nice clean fresh filtered 21% nitrox.
divepirate
Forum Administrator

Return to Freediving