In New Zealand 1st to 12th June

In New Zealand 1st to 12th June

Postby Drip » Thu May 20, 2010 11:07 am

Well its finally happening again. The Trans-Tasman current is sweeping me across again for another New Zealand experience.
Originally it was going to be a short four days for my Grandmother and her new grand-daughter (lil' Chels) to bond and connect - feeling that it is a luxury in life sometimes for kids to connect with the Great-Grandparents, let alone the Grandparents.
Sadly (in a way) my Grandmother in Christchurch decided to take advantage of some good $100 flights to Australia and come over - basically being over here while we were over there to see her.
Soooooooooo. We have now extended our holiday and re-arranged things a bit to take advantage of the 10 days. We will be travelling around the northern part of the South Island (Arthurs Pass, Greymouth, Westport, Cape Farewell :o , Nelson, Murchison, Lewis Pass, Hamner Springs, Kaikoura) via a very new and very cheap :wink: Campervan.
Sadly, due to the short notice of the extension, I've had to delay buying my Drysuit outright beyond the deposit amongst other things (except you Chucks :wink: ) to give ourselves some breathing space financially to enjoys ourselves comfortably. This might mean that I won't be doing any diving, but depending upon gear to hire and how I can adjust to a drysuit, I'm sure there is some diving to be had somewhere?

Off the top of my head - I think a dive on the Lermie won't go astray (if not too cold in a Wettie) upon hire gear. No desire to penetrate, but hopefully I get enough good viz to get a real good perspective upon the size of the Lermie.
I don't think Lake Brunner will be in flood mode to allow me to experience the surrealness of flying through tree-tops ...but if I happen to be there at the right time :o
There are some Lakes/Ponds near Takaka that offer extrodinary visibility for a snorkel/dive but last I heard, they have banned swimming due to infection to aquatic life.
There is some Diving to be had at Kaikoura, let alone a swim with the Duskys again.
I would still like to dive the Lake Coleridge, far west of Christchurch.

...if anyone can offer more dive opportunities or add to the spots I've mentioned, it would be greatly appreciated.
cheers.
:D
Drip

Re: In New Zealand 1st to 12th June

Postby Drip » Fri May 21, 2010 11:58 pm

...and as for SDNZ members, we'll be in the North Island next trip. From Auckland (definately a dive in the Pu :!: ), heading south and east into the Coromandel, down through Taurangi, Whakatane (and White Island), right around the Raukumara via Te Kaha/Te Araroa/Tokomaru Bay and into Gisborne to visit some family friends. A quick look into Lake Waikaremoana, then into the famed Napier and Hastings - I guess its just a drive down to Masterton, a detour to Martinborough and back into Wellington via the Hutts to hopefully do some dives before a visit up to Otaki and the flight out.

After this, my wife and I will have ventured around most of New Zealand at a good leisurely pace over x4 trips. Before meeting one another, we had visited New Zealand previously in regards to travelling around New Zealand when younger. We have also stayed at Scotts Heads Beach when young also by coincidence.
Both of us like the idea of living permanently in New Zealand, where exactly is a hard choice, as most of the country is great. Then again, can never tire of travelling around NZ in a Camper as well.
Drip

Postby Drip » Wed May 26, 2010 3:56 pm

Booked into Dive Picton for a Lermie double-dive & guided penetration for Sunday the 6th (numbers permitting), but it looks like I may have to let it slide due to the need to be in Greymouth (after Cape Farewell) by that day. This trip isn't just about diving :cry: , its really about the Wife and child too :D .
Second time I've missed out on the Lermie. I will be exploring possibilities along the way regarding diving though...even if its just a snorkel.
Drip

Postby Drip » Wed May 26, 2010 4:34 pm

Newsflash!
Nope - just booked in for the 4th :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Drip

Postby Drip » Thu May 27, 2010 2:52 am

Thanks Pete. Sadly we were already booked into a few days in Christchurch but with a sudden change of plans from the person we were to stay with, we found that the best we could do was to just extend our stay and visit a part of the South Island that we haven't covered before. Our next trip will highly likely be the North Island from Auckland, across to Gisborne and down into Wellington :wink:

...after that, I think having covered all of NZ, we will have earned the right to stay on a permanent holiday 8)
Drip

Return to Australia