south west rocks promo

south west rocks promo

Postby Drip » Tue Jun 15, 2010 4:09 pm

Here's a wee promo for South West Rocks. Must add that a buddy has recently dived the cave and say that it is quite narrow and not visually spectacular, rather the Shark Gutters are more impressive.

http://www.ginclearfilm.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=61&Itemid=1
Drip
Member
 
Posts: 208
Joined: Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:14 pm
Location: outside of Sydney ...thankfully

Re: south west rocks promo

Postby somethin fishy » Tue Jun 15, 2010 5:10 pm

Thats a stunning video!
Andy Stewart
User avatar
somethin fishy
Member
 
Posts: 283
Joined: Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:00 am
Location: Northlander in Auckland

Re: south west rocks promo

Postby long john » Tue Jun 15, 2010 6:57 pm

It has always struck me as odd that cattle truck loads of scuba divers can be dumped into grey nurse aggregation sites up and down the east coast to bumble about when nurses are supposed to be highly endangered and preforming important social behaviours in these locations. Imagine being allowed to wander willy nilly around a kakapo lek system or a tuatara island? Don't you 'conservationists' out there think it's high time these poor creatures were left in peace rather than treated as playthings by the scuba industry? I say ban diving in these aggregation sites and finally have them achieve what they were ostensibly put in place to do, giving the nursies some peace.
Oh oh, there I go again... :wink:
User avatar
long john
Member
 
Posts: 224
Joined: Sun May 17, 2009 7:43 pm

Re: south west rocks promo

Postby NEMES1S » Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:24 pm

Wow what a location....sensational...!!
User avatar
NEMES1S
Moderator / NIGHTDIVERS99 Crew
 
Posts: 2116
Joined: Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:40 am
Location: South Coast Wellington

Re: south west rocks promo

Postby somethin fishy » Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:30 pm

that was the same place the freediver did the swim throught I think.. It was on 60 minutes..
Andy Stewart
User avatar
somethin fishy
Member
 
Posts: 283
Joined: Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:00 am
Location: Northlander in Auckland

Re: south west rocks promo

Postby long john » Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:43 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrXQbucZUDA&feature=PlayList&p=B7FE11B11DA4E379&playnext_from=PL&playnext=1&index=11
check this out for a swim through! :shock: That no fins carry on just does my head in. Nice juxtaposition of the boy in speedos from Hastings and the aliens at the begiining too.
User avatar
long john
Member
 
Posts: 224
Joined: Sun May 17, 2009 7:43 pm

Re: south west rocks promo

Postby NEMES1S » Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:50 pm

long john wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrXQbucZUDA&feature=PlayList&p=B7FE11B11DA4E379&playnext_from=PL&playnext=1&index=11
check this out for a swim through! :shock: That no fins carry on just does my head in. Nice juxtaposition of the boy in speedos from Hastings and the aliens at the begiining too.

LJ I don't know how many times I have watched that video and I still marvel at how long that guy can hold his breath its just unreal..!
Imagine what his SAC rate would be on SCUBA ha ha ha :lol:
User avatar
NEMES1S
Moderator / NIGHTDIVERS99 Crew
 
Posts: 2116
Joined: Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:40 am
Location: South Coast Wellington

Re: south west rocks promo

Postby long john » Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:44 pm

Amen. Every once and a while you see something where someone just pushes your, I dunno, presupposed parameters of the human...condition?? (lack of vocab here) so far out into left field that it just doesn't seem possible. Watching some freediver swim down with a monofin on into the abyss is one thing-you can't gauge the depth so it all looks at least feasible but just some dude in his budgie smugglers and that's it doing that?
It's a wonderful thing, I think.
User avatar
long john
Member
 
Posts: 224
Joined: Sun May 17, 2009 7:43 pm

Re: south west rocks promo

Postby Drip » Wed Jun 16, 2010 12:00 am

long john wrote:Amen. Every once and a while you see something where someone just pushes your, I dunno, presupposed parameters of the human...condition?? (lack of vocab here) so far out into left field that it just doesn't seem possible. Watching some freediver swim down with a monofin on into the abyss is one thing-you can't gauge the depth so it all looks at least feasible but just some dude in his budgie smugglers and that's it doing that?
It's a wonderful thing, I think.

Nah i think you got it right there LJ. It truely is an amazing and indeed wonderful thing to see and know that Humanity can push the boundaries of the Human condition with a new wave of minimalism (nothing but Budgie smugglers) ...and that the other video of the Freediver (another post) 'acting' out the illusion of jumping off a cliff underwater upon a single breath, just puts a professional polish upon the whole concept of FreeDiving.

somethin fishy wrote:that was the same place the freediver did the swim throught I think.. It was on 60 minutes..

Yeah, Walter Steyn: australia's best FreeDiver currently and not too arrogant to follow NZ's lead, made it upon the 3rd attempt though he used a Mono-Fin.
I think Trubridge should do South West Rocks and have a real polished, if not performance enhanced video of it to boot.

long john wrote:It has always struck me as odd that cattle truck loads of scuba divers can be dumped into grey nurse aggregation sites up and down the east coast to bumble about when nurses are supposed to be highly endangered and preforming important social behaviours in these locations. Imagine being allowed to wander willy nilly around a kakapo lek system or a tuatara island? Don't you 'conservationists' out there think it's high time these poor creatures were left in peace rather than treated as playthings by the scuba industry? I say ban diving in these aggregation sites and finally have them achieve what they were ostensibly put in place to do, giving the nursies some peace.
Oh oh, there I go again...

I think that is a very valid point you have there LJ. In fact, isn't it surprising that South West Rocks was considered the one of three places left in Australia where Grey Nurse Sharks congregated AND YET, the Dive Industry exploited, in the name of $$ (ching-ching), the fragile population by pumping through Tourism Divers by the shuttle-loads (Manly's ProDive often did big trips up there). These sharks are known to move away from strong activity - ie: the noise made by Diving like bubbles and scooters.
Drip
Member
 
Posts: 208
Joined: Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:14 pm
Location: outside of Sydney ...thankfully

Re: south west rocks promo

Postby binklebonk » Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:25 am

long john wrote:It has always struck me as odd that cattle truck loads of scuba divers can be dumped into grey nurse aggregation sites up and down the east coast to bumble about when nurses are supposed to be highly endangered and preforming important social behaviours in these locations. Imagine being allowed to wander willy nilly around a kakapo lek system or a tuatara island? Don't you 'conservationists' out there think it's high time these poor creatures were left in peace rather than treated as playthings by the scuba industry? I say ban diving in these aggregation sites and finally have them achieve what they were ostensibly put in place to do, giving the nursies some peace.
Oh oh, there I go again... :wink:


Yup no argument here. (I tried but just couldn't find a valid one..) :wink:
User avatar
binklebonk
Member
 
Posts: 1776
Joined: Wed Apr 01, 2009 5:03 pm
Location: Peoples Republic of Wellingtron


Return to Australia

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron