Can anyone give me the N.Z insider info on liveaboards?

Can anyone give me the N.Z insider info on liveaboards?

Postby col1-123 » Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:07 pm

Hey guys, I`m looking to do a liveaboard for three or so days at a great spot in N.Z.
If anyone could drop me some names of some companies diving some great spots on liveaboards it`d be well appreciated.

I did a 3 day/2 night trip with Prodive in cairns (Barrier Reef) this year for 650.00 au dollars and would hope to find something around that range.

Thanks for any help.

Col.
col1-123

Re: Can anyone give me the N.Z insider info on liveaboards?

Postby binklebonk » Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:05 am

Kevin at Oceanblue gets my vote for liveaboards at the Poor Knights.

http://www.oceanblue.co.nz/
binklebonk

Postby Andy » Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:19 pm

John Baker runs good trips out to White Island and Volkner Rocks, unmissable.

Agree with Rob's suggestion for Ocean Blue at the PKs.
Andy
Serial Poster

Postby col1-123 » Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:56 pm

Those suggestions are wicked guys many thanks!
does anyone have any names of some big boat companies that take big groups of up to 20 or so people?
col1-123

Postby Andy » Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:03 am

col1-123 wrote:Those suggestions are wicked guys many thanks!
does anyone have any names of some big boat companies that take big groups of up to 20 or so people?

Welcome to New Zealand...... these are the big boat companies, in terms of liveaboards!!!! :lol:

You could try Pacific Hideaway for the Poor Knights, they can take up to about 14 people - that involves matteresses on the floor, mind you, though it's still a good trip. There are some operators down south that take larger groups to Fjordland etc, but I'm not familiar with them.

Day trips give you much more choice if you have large groups. For example, with a group that size you could easily charter your own boat from Dive! Tutukaka that puts you in control of your day. You could easily negotiate a three-dive day, which then starts to give you the same amount of diving as a liveaboard option. You can also negotiate a late start day - dive on the wrecks on the way out, an afternoon dive at the Poor Knights and then a night dive before coming home.

Other options would include Northland Dive, they have multiple (small) boats that can take that number of divers. Staying with ND is very relaxing and with multiple boats you can arrange your group to go to different sites during the day and meet up for lunch.
Andy
Serial Poster

Postby Northland Dive » Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:14 pm

[quote][/quote]
Other options would include Northland Dive, they have multiple (small) boats that can take that number of divers. Staying with ND is very relaxing and with multiple boats you can arrange your group to go to different sites during the day and meet up for lunch.

Thanks for the plug ANDY!!!!

Hi Col,
Northland DIve can cater for 22 divers split over 2 RIBs, think of us us a live aboard but on dry land. We are a PADI Resort & TDI Training facility, all you need to do is get to us and we look after the rest (food,accommodation, tanks and weights, nitrox fills and DIVING) all for around $600.00 NZD per person(dorm room) for 3 days. Please feel free to visit out website http://www.northlanddive.com or email us info@northlanddive.com

We hope to talk to you soon

Cheers
Shane & Julia
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Northland Dive
Site Sponsor

Postby Cameron_R » Mon Sep 27, 2010 8:48 pm

I will second (or third??) the recommendation for Northland Dive. It's a liveaboard on land :D

You get fed, you get your diving arranged and sorted, and it's CHEAP when compared to almost all other diving in NZ

I love the place and could go on and on and on about it, but I'll let some pic's and other members do the talking .... Just check out a couple trip reports from other members:

Captivated by the Canterbury

HMNZS Canterbury - Nov 21/22nd 2009

Bay of Islands 4-6 July
Cameron_R

Postby Andy » Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:50 am

Northland Dive wrote:Thanks for the plug ANDY!!!!

It's not a plug.... it's the truth! Every time we come and stay, Nat and I always ask ourselves why we don't do it more often..... hopefully a a couple of months and we'll think about booking one of your family rooms and subjecting you to cuddles from our little one!
Andy
Serial Poster

Return to Australia