Gold Coast diving

Gold Coast diving

Postby ChrisB » Sat Dec 04, 2010 1:42 pm

I'm heading over to the Gold Coast mid March and was curious if anyone knows any good dive operators in the area? I've got leave for a couple of days and want a company most likely to bring me back home again... not leave me out there!
Sometimes I think I understand EVERYTHING ---- then I regain consciousness
ChrisB

Re: Gold Coast diving

Postby MikeS » Sat Dec 04, 2010 4:00 pm

Hey Chris
Drive down to Byron Bay and go out to Julian Rocks with Sun Dive. Fantastic diving.
If you haven't got time for that, the Gold Coast seaway is a pretty cool dive. Its a shore dive off the end of the road passed Sea World, but has to be slack water. I went there with .............????????????????????????/ my memory fades. I'll get back to you. But do try and get Julian Rocks in. They return to shore between dives so you can do 1 or 2 in the day.
Cheers
Mike
MikeS

Postby MikeS » Sat Dec 04, 2010 6:47 pm

Here you go Chris.
Gold Coast Dive http://www.goldcoastdive.com.au/
Ruth is a bit of a hard case. If you are there on the right day they do a night dive in the seaway and then go out for a meal afterwards. If you do go with them, check your kit more carefully than normal.
I actually meant to go with these guys http://www.divingthegoldcoast.com.au/ who look more professional and have a boat but somehow cocked up and went to the wrong shop. Enjoyde the dive though.
MikeS

Postby ChrisB » Sun Dec 05, 2010 2:48 pm

Thanks Mike... after doing a bit of Googling Byron Bay is just too far for me to go on this trip... had a look at gold coast dive, looks like it might be the place for me... back into a poodle jacket... but will be worth a shot.

Anyone else got places to check out??
ChrisB

Postby Grrrr54 » Fri Dec 10, 2010 9:29 pm

I lived in Brisbane for nearly 10 years and the diving around the Gold Coast can be very good and some spots are excellent. When I went back for a holiday a few years ago I used Herb at Palm Beach Dive shop www. pbdiving.com.au and found them to be very organised and prepared to go the better spots. Last summer a friend from Melbourne used them and they picked him up from his accomodation and dropped him back after. He was wrapped in the diving as well.

Better spots at the southern end of the Gold Coast include, Fido Reef, Cook Island , 9 mile Reef, 5 mile reef, Wreck of the SS Alberta and the Kingscliffe Pinnacle. Depending on whether you are staying at the Nth or Sth end or for that matter in the middle, will determine where I would recommend you go. The Gold Coast seaway wasnt finished when I left to return to Melbourne, however the diving at Wave break island and on the artificial reef nearby were spectacular even then so from what I have seen on Ian Banks website and a recent talk he gave in Melb, would indicate that the Seaway is a "must do" if in the area.
Grrrr54

Postby ChrisB » Sun Dec 12, 2010 11:56 am

thanks grrrr - i was looking at the seaway as a possible option... i like the sound of the ss alberta too. Will have to do a bit more research when not soo hungover
ChrisB

Postby ChrisB » Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:01 pm

Returned home on Saturday just gone after a 7 day excursion to the Gold Coast with family. By the time my dive day rolled around, it was a welcome day AWAY from the group - cabin fever was starting to set in and tempers were beginning to fray :shock:

Although I talked a few times with Ian Banks, actually discovered the trip was booked with Cooly Dive (out of Coolengatta). Was a fantastic morning out at Cook Island - got 2 dives in and back on land before 11:30am. As soon as i work out how to extract the photos off the camera I will post another thread in Trip Reports

Thanks to Carol and the team at Cooly dive - very enjoyable day out!
ChrisB

Return to Australia