Lake Pupuke

Tell us about your latest adventure here!

Re: Lake Pupuke

Postby Milky » Fri Oct 09, 2009 12:11 pm

Andy wrote:BEAUTIFUL!

Best trip report I've seen in a while. Love it.



Milky - you need to sort those hoses out on that twin set up. Hoses should always point down and in, if you go the twins route then drop me a PM and I'll go through how to route the hoses with you.


Yeah that was the first time ever using an independent, now i am using a manifold and Shane from Northland manage to help me out with the hose routing....thanks anyway Andy for your concern.
Alive to Dive
User avatar
Milky
Member
 
Posts: 496
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 12:54 pm
Location: West Auckland

Re: Lake Pupuke

Postby seynz » Sun Oct 11, 2009 11:50 am

I finally went to the Sylvan Park yesterday. It was windy and cold, a windsurf school was there, I discussed with their boss, and I felt he would prefer us ( divers ) to use a marker buyancy ( that I forget at home...).
I went on the right about 50 m from the carpark
Image

To get into water is quite slippery
Image

I found the wall who is between 10 and 15 meters deep
Rock formations around 10 meters
Image

a carp fish ?
Image

Around 20 meters deep, it s really dark and murky, I slowly continued my descent to finally find a some eels between 30 and 40 meters.
There were not impressed by divers, more me, specially when I saw one 30 Cm in front of my mask after taking a picture of another one lying on the ground. I screamed in my reg, more because of the surprise than the fear... Not good joke a this deep :?
Image
Image
Image

Good dive at the end, even if it s quite boring if you go deep. Next time I will try the pump house.
A question for the Aucklander s dive instructors : Why you don t sink some old boats or little plane around 20 meters deep to make a good attractions for your students ?
seynz
Member
 
Posts: 72
Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2007 8:47 am
Location: Auckland

Re: Lake Pupuke

Postby NEMES1S » Sun Oct 11, 2009 11:59 am

Nice pics dude...and yeah weird stuff appearing out of the silt at 40m in the lake....definately give you a bit of a fright..!!
Nice work..!
User avatar
NEMES1S
Moderator / NIGHTDIVERS99 Crew
 
Posts: 2116
Joined: Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:40 am
Location: South Coast Wellington

Re: Lake Pupuke

Postby tara » Sun Oct 11, 2009 9:10 pm

we'd love to sink some stuff in the there!
the pumphouse side has .. a parking sign and a seat.
User avatar
tara
Dive Mistress
 
Posts: 848
Joined: Sat Sep 27, 2008 11:43 am
Location: Auckland

Re: Lake Pupuke

Postby Phantom Menace » Sun Oct 11, 2009 11:48 pm

tara wrote:we'd love to sink some stuff in the there!
the pumphouse side has .. a parking sign and a seat.


Isn't there enough rubbish in the quarry for you to look at without sinking some more stuff in the lake?
User avatar
Phantom Menace
Member
 
Posts: 395
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2009 4:55 pm
Location: Auckland

Re: Lake Pupuke

Postby Andy » Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:30 am

Phantom Menace wrote:
Isn't there enough rubbish in the quarry for you to look at without sinking some more stuff in the lake?


Few people ever dive the quarry..... I'm the only person I know who has actually been into it.

Sinking stuff in the lake is probably an exercise in futility - it wouldn't take long for the silt to claim it. It was interesting talking to Patrick, Fran & John from No Bubbles a few years ago, when they were using the lake for training they'd apparently hit the silt and keep going. In the middle of the lake it is uber-fine, and many metres deep. :shock:


Glad you had a dive in the lake Seynz! The eels are a bit of a shock, particularly the larger ones. A couple of years ago, I was teaching a course at the lake and there were a couple of the local kids hanging around. They asked about a story that had supposedly reported that an eels head the size of a horse's head had been washed up near the hospital.... of course, I ridiculed the idea "the eels aren't that big" but it put the willies into my students. To make it worse, an eel that size actually swam behind my students that day. It was as fat as my thigh, and about 2m long.

With two eel-nervous students, it seemed like a good time to do some mask skills...... :D
Andy
Serial Poster
 
Posts: 4628
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2007 1:29 pm
Location: Auckland

Re: Lake Pupuke

Postby NEMES1S » Mon Oct 12, 2009 9:18 am

Andy wrote:

Glad you had a dive in the lake Seynz! The eels are a bit of a shock, particularly the larger ones. A couple of years ago, I was teaching a course at the lake and there were a couple of the local kids hanging around. They asked about a story that had supposedly reported that an eels head the size of a horse's head had been washed up near the hospital.... of course, I ridiculed the idea "the eels aren't that big" but it put the willies into my students. To make it worse, an eel that size actually swam behind my students that day. It was as fat as my thigh, and about 2m long.

With two Peter the eel-nervous students, it seemed like a good time to do some mask skills...... :D

So maybe the horses head that was left in the guys bed in the movie "The Godfather" was really an Eel head from Lake Pupuke!! :lol:
User avatar
NEMES1S
Moderator / NIGHTDIVERS99 Crew
 
Posts: 2116
Joined: Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:40 am
Location: South Coast Wellington

Re: Lake Pupuke

Postby Milky » Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:00 am

Andy wrote:
Phantom Menace wrote:
Isn't there enough rubbish in the quarry for you to look at without sinking some more stuff in the lake?


Few people ever dive the quarry..... I'm the only person I know who has actually been into it.

Sinking stuff in the lake is probably an exercise in futility - it wouldn't take long for the silt to claim it. It was interesting talking to Patrick, Fran & John from No Bubbles a few years ago, when they were using the lake for training they'd apparently hit the silt and keep going. In the middle of the lake it is uber-fine, and many metres deep. :shock:


Glad you had a dive in the lake Seynz! The eels are a bit of a shock, particularly the larger ones. A couple of years ago, I was teaching a course at the lake and there were a couple of the local kids hanging around. They asked about a story that had supposedly reported that an eels head the size of a horse's head had been washed up near the hospital.... of course, I ridiculed the idea "the eels aren't that big" but it put the willies into my students. To make it worse, an eel that size actually swam behind my students that day. It was as fat as my thigh, and about 2m long.

With two eel-nervous students, it seemed like a good time to do some mask skills...... :D



How fat is your thigh Andy??....hehehehe....boy...2 meter eel could freak me out. I might go there this weekend to practise on using my SMB...probably at 15 meters deep....is that too deep or to shallow as i wanna have ago few times at it?
Alive to Dive
User avatar
Milky
Member
 
Posts: 496
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 12:54 pm
Location: West Auckland

Re: Lake Pupuke

Postby seynz » Mon Oct 12, 2009 2:02 pm

Andy wrote: that an eels head the size of a horse's head had been washed up near the hospital.... of course, I ridiculed the idea "the eels aren't that big" but it put the willies into my students. To make it worse, an eel that size actually swam behind my students that day. It was as fat as my thigh, and about 2m long.


Kind of stuffs who tell me not to come back in the lake !!! :shock:
Sink a wreck around the rock formation could work, don t sink there is a lot of silt around the boulders.
seynz
Member
 
Posts: 72
Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2007 8:47 am
Location: Auckland

Re: Lake Pupuke

Postby Phantom Menace » Tue Oct 13, 2009 11:10 am

[quote="seynz
Sink a wreck around the rock formation could work, don t sink there is a lot of silt around the boulders.[/quote]

So ...
You guys support dumping rubbish in lakes then? I could get you a few old car bodies to sink - might even be able to take a door or two off so you could try swimming through as well.
User avatar
Phantom Menace
Member
 
Posts: 395
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2009 4:55 pm
Location: Auckland

Re: Lake Pupuke

Postby Andy » Tue Oct 13, 2009 11:25 am

Phantom Menace wrote:You guys support dumping rubbish in lakes then? I could get you a few old car bodies to sink - might even be able to take a door or two off so you could try swimming through as well.


It's a fine line..... personally, I am in favour of purpose sunk wrecks - irrespective of location - provided that it's a managed resource. So the likes of the Canterbury were all sunk after an environmental impact assessment and there are ongoing checks and procedures in place etc.

If that could be achieve in Lake Pupuke, I'd be all for it.... it's worked well in many inland quarries in the UK and the US. But there is a difference between a quarry and a lake, which would (and should) be picked up on during the environmental impact assessment and would likely be reasonable cause to reject any proposal. Like I say, even then, we'd really have to question the longevity of any wreck in the lake before it was swallowed up by the silt.

So, whilst it's a fine line, it's also a huge chasm between dumping a car in the lake and purpose sinking a wreck properly.
Andy
Serial Poster
 
Posts: 4628
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2007 1:29 pm
Location: Auckland

Re: Lake Pupuke

Postby NEMES1S » Tue Oct 13, 2009 11:27 am

With the silt floor in there you would need something fairly sizeable or the silt would just swallow then burp and it would dissapear...!! :lol: :lol:
User avatar
NEMES1S
Moderator / NIGHTDIVERS99 Crew
 
Posts: 2116
Joined: Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:40 am
Location: South Coast Wellington

Re: Lake Pupuke

Postby Phantom Menace » Tue Oct 13, 2009 12:22 pm

Personally I used to think purposely sinking a wreck was "kind of OK" but now I would have to say I think it is "kind of NOT OK". Primarily because we are further changing the environment for our own amusement (and we do enough of that already).

That being said I do catch and eat seafood - which is obviously changing the environment through the removal of sealife. And I do drive around in cars, boats etc. and reap the "benefits" of human progress - all of which change the environment.

I guess I am slightly bemused when people support putting 100s of tonnes of scrap steel into an otherwise relatively pristine environment (apart from "fishing pressure") and then turn around and tell me that I am a barbarian for occaisionally putting a spear through a fish to put a meal on the table (and yes my own "amusement") - e.g. over a couple of drinks in Russell one night I got talking to a couple who had dived the Canterbury that day who told me I was a "barbarian" for spearing 2 fish and planning to have them for breakfast the next day saying I was having an impact on the environment.

IMO sinking a wreck primarily creates something for people to look at / swim through - i.e. it is done for aesthetic and commercial reasons.

What would be the difference between properly sinking a few car bodies and properly sinking a plane or boat?
User avatar
Phantom Menace
Member
 
Posts: 395
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2009 4:55 pm
Location: Auckland

Re: Lake Pupuke

Postby Andy » Tue Oct 13, 2009 1:25 pm

Phantom Menace wrote:I guess I am slightly bemused when people support putting 100s of tonnes of scrap steel into an otherwise relatively pristine environment (apart from "fishing pressure") and then turn around and tell me that I am a barbarian for occaisionally putting a spear through a fish to put a meal on the table (and yes my own "amusement") - e.g. over a couple of drinks in Russell one night I got talking to a couple who had dived the Canterbury that day who told me I was a "barbarian" for spearing 2 fish and planning to have them for breakfast the next day saying I was having an impact on the environment.



Personally, I've got no problems with spearos. But I do have issues with people taking under size, over quota or discriminately - that applied to all methods of fishing... whether it's trawling, long lining or spear fishing.


Phantom Menace wrote:What would be the difference between properly sinking a few car bodies and properly sinking a plane or boat?


Nothing really.

I guess from you earlier post I got the impression that the emphasis was on "dumping", which is different from having a planned sinking. At least a planned sinking, with a resource management plan has some investigation into the environment impact. And consultation.

I do agree that there are environmental concerns in sinking anything, let alone thousands of tons of metal.... but I dive so much on said wrecks that it would be entirely hypocritical of me to say that I was against the idea, but I am slap bang against the idea of "dumping".
Andy
Serial Poster
 
Posts: 4628
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2007 1:29 pm
Location: Auckland

Re: Lake Pupuke

Postby Jason » Thu Oct 15, 2009 11:03 am

Yeah, well, this is where Andy and Pete put a spanner in my works.

I am a thorn in the side of those on DiveOz who are associated/supportive of the sinking (now sunk) of X-HMAS Canberra just outside of Port Phillip Bay in Victoria.
I would constantly 'hawrasse' by stating that such things as "Dumping Rubbish", "...might as well throw in a few Shopping Trolleys", "...they strip the Ship under the pretense of 'Safety' yet blast anyone who tries to strip an already established Wreck - before they do under the new Heritage Law being changed from 75 years to 50 years (so they have a better chance to beat the Private sector)", "...they strip the Ship under the pretense of 'Safety' yet blast anyone who tries to strip an already established Wreck - preferring the Wrecks to be left 'untouched' with all their decaying and rusting 'accessories' that would be better preserved above surface", in their own words 'Trash for Treasure' - "they are dumping unwanted military 'rubbish' to capitialise upon sucking as much $$$money out of the Dive Tourism sector under the pretense that they are making an 'Artificial Reef' for the benefit of the marine environment and all things life aquatic", "they are dumping as many Ships as they can in that area to create a 'Truk Lagoon'-like dive Mecca and believe that some original Wrecks in the area justify this act."
I also mention that there is no guarrantee that these falsely advertised (so they can sneak these X-ships under the radar so to speak) 'Artificial Reefs' don't always attract aquatic growth and life, in fact many don't or it is just minimal growth upon the outside of a hull and a school of Bullseyes (& a big grumpy Wobbegong Shark). The Bombo has been a Wreck in my local Wollongong area for ages and it still is a rust bucket with minimal growth and life - a Bommie has much much more to show for it.
My stance is that these acts of dumping/sinking X-naval ships justifies all other acts of dumping rubbish around the world. Even now, USA and Nippon (just to name a couple) are sending giant barges full of rubbish out into the deep ocean to be 'dumped'. Try to stop them and they will probably hold up signs saying "Artificial Reef" like Whalers hold up signs saying "Scientific Research" !! :evil: :x
The X-HMAS Canberra was sunk on the weekend and if you see the U-Tubes, you will notice that it was so 'safety-stripped' (possibly of everything of worth) that it hardly resembled a naval ship at all. Just another peice of rubbish.

This is where Andy and Pete come in: They both stressed the point (quite wisely I might add) that 'until I come up with something better to offer and actually put it out there, then I really should stop harassing'. I take this into consideration with Andy being a (former?) Designer who worked upon large Ships which were planned in consideration with the 'afterlife' of the ship in regardes to costs effective of recycling.
So with this in mind, I apologised upon DiveOz...but I still have an occassional dig. (I still spew that I wasted 7 years of my life in Victoria. I tried to get to Tasmania for some reason, but never made it and by the time I had to return to NSW via South Australia, it was too late to realise that I should have went there instead.)

If I don't do it. Then I hope there comes a more 'real' Organisation that stands up for 'Artificial Reefs' in a more appropriate and considerate manner than the likes of VARS (Victorian Artifical Reef Society). I would like to believe that there are people out there who actually put research and artistic value into Artificial Reefs by designing what is needed by Aquatic Life and Growth (even specifically for that area) that will enhance in many ways for the benefit of not just Divers (and specifically Photographic Divers) in the name of Touri$m, but Spearos and Fishermen as well. I say this as I was impressed with the Poor Knights Islands, so an Artificial Reef should be able to provide a safe sanctuary to aid in the proliferation of species from the immediate effects of direct Fishing methods (that are constantly improving and becoming more efficient in their catching), but still provide a 'spillover' that satisfies the needs of Fishing and Spearfishing. I prefer the SpearFishing selective approach personally as I believe this method can move on from just a weekend yobbo trophy act, to a more honourable and professional culture with more constructive aims.

...as for NZ Conga Eels? Well I personally would be freaked right out if one poked his head in my field of vision. It must be because I am Aussie and Conga Eels look like big snakes. Gotta take a shovel with me whenever I go out an walk to the outer sheds on the property where I work: a Red-bellied Black Snake will try to get away (unless cornered) but a Brown Snake will just sneak up to have a go at ya. We do have a pet eel in the water purification dams, which I feed with the odd dead chicklet. I have to bin thousands (I mean thousands) of gassed unwanted chicklets recently hatched - a real waste. But thats a different story.
Just drifting along with whatever is current.
Currently I'm reading : The Art of Innovation by Tom Kelley.
User avatar
Jason
Member
 
Posts: 1184
Joined: Sat Nov 01, 2008 10:41 pm
Location: Outside of Sydney, NSW - Australia. Oceania.

PreviousNext

Return to Trip Reports and Dive Logs

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron