Poor Knights 22/23rd May

Tell us about your latest adventure here!

Poor Knights 22/23rd May

Postby Andy » Mon May 24, 2010 5:20 pm

No photos, though Ali and Cameron may have some to add!

Spent the weekend out at the Poor Knights courtesy of Ocean Blue along with Rob, Sel, Paul, Cameron and Ali.

We had hoped to have three days, but the forecast wasn't looking too hot for today so we cut it back to just the two. Before arriving in Tutukaka on Friday evening, there was a real kerfuffle of activity in Auckland - sorting out the aftermath of someone breaking in to Rob's truck, and arranging lift shares. We finally got all that sorted and made the trip north in time for dinner at Schnappa Rock.

First dive was at the canyon, on the northern side of Motu Kapiti, where we tucked away from the wind chop on the surface. Cameron, Ali and I cruised along the wall for an hour or so. Very pleasant diving, with plenty of encrusting life on the wall.

Paul and I teamed up for the second dive, whilst everyone else was planning a dive on Landing Bay Pinnacle we swam over for a dive in Taravana Cave, after which we navigated our way to the pinnacle and Paul/Rob continued their dive together whilst Sel joined me and kept me company as I completed my deco. Lots of fish life around the pinnacle and good vis. With so many divers used to measuring vis on the Wellington scale (1-5m, to 0.1m precision) we finally agreed that the vis was off the scale and so was in the "lots" category! :lol:

Third dive of the day, for the keeners, was at the Gardens. I was feeling lazy, so had a nap on the boat and gossiped with Kev whilst he rustled up dinner for the evening - a very nice curry indeed.

With the forecast for the Sunday not so great, our plan was to get a couple of good dives in during the morning and then run for the shelter of the harbour. Kev took us to Northern Arch, where Cameron, Ali, Paul and myself were going to start our dive together - with Paul and I separating off after a while. Ali and Cameron were in the water first, and you couldn't miss the tone of excitement. We all descended together into the midst of a sea of fish - the entire arch was rammed with pink maomao and demoiselles, with large snapper lurking around. Paul and headed through the archway for a 40m+ dive, returning to complete deco back amongst all the fish where Ali and Kent (the deckhand) were madly snapping away with their cameras. Ali god some great video footage of a bronze whaler that was circling around.

We stayed at Northern Arch for the second dive, though conditions had picked up a little and the water a little murkier. Paul and I headed out towards Te Araara point, where we were joined by the odd kingfish cruising by, before returning to the archway for the inevitable buddy sway - Paul and Rob headed off, whilst Sel and I just hung out in the archway for a bit whilst I finished my deco. The current had definitely picked up, so we headed south down towards Catton's Cave, though I for one was starting to get a bit chilled so we headed our way back to the boat where Kev was waiting with all the hot drinks and chocolate you could ask for.

All in all, a fun weekend - great diving, relaxed company, awesome boat. Does it get better than this?
Andy
Serial Poster

Re: Poor Knights 22/23rd May

Postby alijtaylor » Mon May 24, 2010 6:58 pm

Sounds like an excellent weekend - I do miss the Knights, and I still haven't seen a bronzie.

Alison
alijtaylor

Postby Cameron_R » Mon May 24, 2010 9:20 pm

I didn't take many photos, and I'm not that happy with those that I did take, but here's a couple that you can at least make out what you're looking at ...

Andy wrote: ... Kev took us to Northern Arch, where Cameron, Ali, Paul and myself were going to start our dive together - with Paul and I separating off after a while. Ali and Cameron were in the water first, and you couldn't miss the tone of excitement. We all descended together into the midst of a sea of fish - the entire arch was rammed with pink maomao and demoiselles, with large snapper lurking around. Paul and headed through the archway for a 40m+ dive ......

It was a bloody great weekend. Total shame we got cut short.
Cameron_R

Postby alijtaylor » Mon May 24, 2010 9:36 pm

Fishtastic!
alijtaylor

Postby tara » Mon May 24, 2010 11:00 pm

definitely a great weekend at the Knights - although on a different boat.
totally agree with the visibility! i think when you guys were hanging around in the Gardens, we were over at the entrance to Rikoriko enjoying some beautiful beautiful blue water
tara
Dive Mistress

Postby Cameron_R » Mon May 24, 2010 11:56 pm

Happy 500th dive Ali :D

Cameron_R

Postby Andy » Mon May 24, 2010 11:59 pm

That's nice in B&W, Cameron... you kinda have to look to see the shark, but once you do see it it's quite spooky.
Andy
Serial Poster

Postby Drip » Tue May 25, 2010 4:08 am

Its Hans Haas (1952) !
Drip

Postby binklebonk » Tue May 25, 2010 10:07 am

I really had a ball on the trip. Still haven't got enough familiarity with the RB to have seen as much stuff as others did but it was a nice change to be back in vis measurable in tens of meters.. :D I can't believe it'd been just over two years since the last trip there.. :shock:

Heading out round the outside point of Northern arch was a big highlight of the diving for me, the sheer amount and diversity of fish life as you got to the higher current areas around the point was gobsmacking..

Won't be such a long time between visits again!
binklebonk

Postby Paul » Tue May 25, 2010 10:10 am

Great shots Cameron.

It was a fantastic weekends diving. We had tonnes of vis and I the amount of fish life was stagering.

Thanks to Andy for organising it and a big thanks to Kevin and Kent for being such great hosts. Everything went very smoothly.
Who needs a hobby when you have an obsession?
Paul

Postby Ali Perkins » Wed May 26, 2010 10:38 am

Haven't had a chance to look at photos from the weekend yet but my gut is telling me I didn't have a good weekend taking pics. Did get this video footage of a Bronzie though...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rp-A695H6ks

Absolutely brilliant weekend of diving!
To view the underwater photography of Alison Perkins from InspiredToDive.com - visit http://www.inspiredtodive.com
Ali Perkins
U/W Photographic genius

Postby Ali Perkins » Wed May 26, 2010 4:56 pm

Some pics from the weekend:

Peek-a-boo boarfish

Cameron hanging out on Landing Bay Pinnacle

Setting sun

Speckled moray

Fin-deep in Demoiselles

Blue maomao rush hour

What's the hurry?
To view the underwater photography of Alison Perkins from InspiredToDive.com - visit http://www.inspiredtodive.com
Ali Perkins
U/W Photographic genius

Postby tara » Wed May 26, 2010 5:05 pm

saturday night was a particularly amazing sunset wasn't it!?

32065_395049418278_62782713278_3948734_529005_n.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
tara
Dive Mistress

Postby Ali Perkins » Wed May 26, 2010 11:58 pm

It was a lovely sunset. In my experience, all sunsets at the Knights are lovely. Must be something about being on a liveaboard... :D
Ali Perkins
U/W Photographic genius

Postby tara » Thu May 27, 2010 7:36 am

and knowing you dont have to head in!
for me also, its getting excited already about the 8am dive the next morning. my favorite :!: :!: :!:
tara
Dive Mistress

Return to Trip Reports and Dive Logs