GUE DPV course in Japan.

Tell us about your latest adventure here!

GUE DPV course in Japan.

Postby NEMES1S » Sat Jun 12, 2010 2:38 pm

GUE DPV 1 in Osezaki Japan

Wow what a trip,Japan was just as I had left it.... "Amazing!"

I never actually thought I would again set foot in the land of the rising sun,but there you have it.
I had a few great trips in and around Japan Tokyo Disneyland and Tokyo Disney Sea a couple of big shrines and of course a fabulous dive trip.
The flying is wearing fairly thin with me however we had several turbulent rides across the Sea,mainly over Australia actually and big air pockets at ~30,000ft tend to shit most out and that included me,its a hell of a long way down.

Anyway as usual I made some top new friends Thomas,Eriko,Mike,Kato,to name but a few,again I was lucky with my dive team as i was when I had Mike and Tom on my GUE Fundamentals course,this time I was blessed again with two GUE TECH 2 rated divers one of which is a GUE instructor candidate.
Well out skilled and out ranked I was as usual the underdog,but hey I am used to that... :lol:
Heres a snap of Mike and Eiichi Kato and me pre dive...

My Team:

The DPV's we used are visible in the pic and are X-Scooter's model is the 'Cuda:

The CUDA 650 is the front runner of the CUDA models, at 53 lbs it is a lightweight compared to more traditional lead acid scooters but it packs the performance of a heavyweight.
Designed for expedition diving it has all the great features of the CUDA family, huge power for when you need to push through the current with the heaviest gear, and the economy to run for hours. Based on the Tahoe Benchmark* figures the CUDA can top out at 248ft/min (76m/min) and cruise for over 5.5 miles (9.3Km).
The CUDA family of scooters represents the sum of all our experiences making and diving the Sierra scooters. We took everything that we learnt, wished for, dreamt about, and put it into the CUDA. We designed a motor to not only give higher speeds but also be extremely efficient (over 87%) at cruise speeds. This gives you the power to overcome the worst currents combined with the endurance for the longest explorations.
The entire housing, body and tail, was designed using finite element analysis to remove every piece of excess material while maintaining the strength necessary for a 600ft (180m) depth rating.

The 'Cuda is a fantastic bit of dive equipment the possibilities are endless.
The course itself was as with all GUE courses tough but amazing,I really enjoyed every moment of the course (well almost :lol: ) and had a blast with my new dive buddies.

Our 3 days of dives were all basically training and drills but the final day was our graduation dive and it was amazing 80min run time and 4km range,it was mind blowing.The scooter's just extend your dive range so much,this has to be taken into account however as you can really get yourself into some serious problems without the correct planning of a scooter dive...gas...burn time etc..!!
Some of the Gorgonian fans we saw on our 27m graduation dive was just crazy,if only I had a camera!!!

Here is a pic of the GUE dive team from the last day: (Instructor Thomas in the center)

I think most people think that driving a DPV is a piece of cake,that maybe so with your entry level bright yellow plastic units but the X-Scooters are quite a different ball game with 8 gears and a thrust of 71lbs and capable of 266ft/min; 81m/min and in top gear that's FLYING!!!
The skills and drill Thomas put us through were also amazing,how to deal with OOG situations, and even how to literally by hand stop the rear propeller in any gear or speed..!! (that one was an interesting skill ha ha :lol: )
There are a lot of factors involved with the DPV's eve the length of the tow leash has an obvious effect on the way the DPV preforms.
I wont rattle on anymore as I have written a full story for TDNZ and GUE as well so when that's out I will post that up as well.

Heres a snap of the 'Cuda's and Me and Mike...

Also a pic of the Scooter and me getting ready to stop for the next exercise..

NEMES1S
Moderator / NIGHTDIVERS99 Crew

Re: GUE DPV course in Japan.

Postby ChuckyBob » Sat Jun 12, 2010 4:26 pm

So cool.
Looks like a lot of fun!

What one worth?
ChuckyBob

Postby Cameron_R » Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:24 am

Good to have you back Nem. Sounds like a great trip!

Where are you going to scooter next??
Cameron_R

Postby binklebonk » Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:58 am

Nice one. Was there much to see on the dives? The last pic makes it look very gravelly.. Or was the site chosen so there'd be nothing for the new riders to bang into? (cept each other of course..) :lol:

Were there any collisions? I'd pay good money to see that! :twisted:
binklebonk

Postby NEMES1S » Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:13 am

ChuckyBob wrote:So cool.
Looks like a lot of fun!

What one worth?

Chucky' I think a decent one starts from about 5k.

Cameron_R wrote:Good to have you back Nem. Sounds like a great trip!

Where are you going to scooter next??

Cam' you would have loved it dude it was crazy cool,the range you can get is just unreal.
Next scooter will be either with the Dive X boss from down south (I am are organizing a DPV workshop in Welly with him.)
Or when Jamie and the TDNZ crew get theirs... :lol:

binklebonk wrote:Nice one. Was there much to see on the dives? The last pic makes it look very gravelly.. Or was the site chosen so there'd be nothing for the new riders to bang into? (cept each other of course..) :lol:

Were there any collisions? I'd pay good money to see that! :twisted:

As I mentioned the other two were both GUE TECH 2 divers and both had used DPV previously on big dives,so the only person who would have crashed into anybody would have been me...and guess what I did... :lol: (only into their fins,and luckily they didn't even notice but I still felt stupid... :D )
That pic was taken in the first bay where we were just simply doing drills and training,it definitely wasn't a sightseeing spot.
When we did our graduation dive we scootered well around the point and into the next bay and it was awesome,big Gorgonian fans...loads of fish...really cool.
Only this dive was sightseeing.. ..
NEMES1S

Postby NEMES1S » Mon Jun 14, 2010 6:01 pm

Just found a couple of DIW not DIR .... :lol: (nobody on our course was anywhere near this...)
"Doing it Wrong" exhibit A)

And exhibit B)

NEMES1S

Postby binklebonk » Mon Jun 14, 2010 6:08 pm

:lol:

Now they're funny!
binklebonk

Postby Cameron_R » Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:19 pm

haha !
Cameron_R

Postby NEMES1S » Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:40 pm

On a more serious note here is the GUE dive skills etc...

Academic Topics:

* Equipment considerations
* DPV components & maintenance
* Surface-marker buoys and spools (for deco platforms)
* Towing a surface marker while using a DPV
* Exposure suit appropriate for the environment
* Dive planning & Operational planning
* Support, Teams & Team planning
* Procedures
* Gas Planning & Gas matching
* Considerations for managing and stowing a DPV while not in use.

Land Drills and Topics:

* Proper position while using a DPV
* Runaway DPV
* Use of Goodman handle while riding a DPV
* Dive team order and protocols
* Use of spools and reels
* Navigation skills
* Pre-dive drills

Required Dive Skills and Drills:

* Demonstrate proficiency in safe diving practices; this would include pre-dive preparation, in-water activity, and post-dive assessment.
* Demonstrate awareness of team-member location and a concern for safety, responding quickly to visual cues and dive partner requirements.
* Efficiently and comfortably demonstrate how to donate gas to an out-of-gas diver in multiple gassharing episodes.
* Be able to comfortably demonstrate at least three propulsion techniques that would be appropriate in delicate and/or silty environments; one of these kicks must include a backward kick.
* Demonstrate a safe and responsible demeanor throughout all training.
* Must be able to swim at least 400 yards/375 meters in under fourteen minutes without stopping. This test should be conducted in a swimsuit and, where necessary, appropriate thermal protection.
* Must be able to swim a distance of at least 20 yards/18 meters on a breath hold.
* Demonstrate proficiency adjusting buoyancy while using a DPV
* Demonstrate effective use of compass and navigation
* Matching speeds with team members
* Towing diver with non-functional DPV
* Demonstrate control while dealing with a runaway DPV
* Procedures for gas-sharing, and regulator switching as appropriate.
* Surface-marker buoy deployment.
* Demonstrate familiarity with required course equipment.
* Gas-sharing scenarios, to include a prolonged gas-sharing event.
* Demonstrate effective valve management by switching regulators, shutting down a valves
* Demonstrate proficiency with effective decompression techniques, including depth and time management.
* Demonstrate good buoyancy and trim, i.e. approximate reference maximum of 20 degrees off horizontal while remaining within 3 feet/1 meter of a target depth. Frequency of buoyancy variation and the divers control of their buoyancy and trim are important evaluation criteria.

Awesome...

NEMES1S

Postby Drip » Tue Jun 15, 2010 3:44 pm

Why not just skip all of this Nem and just get yourself a nice wee Submersible to zip around in :?:
Drip

Return to Trip Reports and Dive Logs