Jason verses the Lermontov

Tell us about your latest adventure here!

Re: Jason verses the Lermontov

Postby NEMES1S » Wed Jul 07, 2010 2:26 pm

binklebonk wrote:Well I don't necessarily think that it was a daft dive I'm just curious to know what the plan and contingencies were as it seems from what Jase has written it could be two different things. I don't for a second want to give anyone grief about decisions that don't affect me, but I think it's a good thing to talk about planning, or the absence of it, at some of the more serious dive locations.

No I was thinking of some of my dives in regards to the "Daft stuff" :lol:
NEMES1S
Moderator / NIGHTDIVERS99 Crew

Postby Tony » Wed Jul 07, 2010 2:39 pm

binklebonk wrote:Well I don't necessarily think that it was a daft dive I'm just curious to know what the plan and contingencies were as it seems from what Jase has written it could be two different things. I don't for a second want to give anyone grief about decisions that don't affect me, but I think it's a good thing to talk about planning, or the absence of it, at some of the more serious dive locations.

I'd have to agree with you here Binklebonk. Any overhead environment is a challenging circumstance and needs to be treated with respect. But then in saying that I think we have all at some stage been guilty of some silly decisions etc. The question is what to do about it? Learn and then plan differently next time? And then is it Jase who's making the calls in this dive or is it the tour guide making the call?
You know the speed of light. So what is the speed of dark?
Tony

Postby Drip » Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:33 pm

Sorry guys. Unable to bring up the Internet for most of yesterday, on top of my first 'official' Mr Mom day looking after the wee one while wife was back to work.
(Baby is alive and well)

I did write a lot up in answer, but then it all was vaporised in the 'unable to process' bin from the internet. :x
I don't have time at the moment to write it all up again, so (Arnie) "I'll be back".
Drip

Postby Drip » Thu Jul 08, 2010 4:13 pm

Won't be long.
Just discussing a few things about this thread with my Solicitor. :P
I will make a post tomorrow or later tonight after midnight.
Drip

Postby NEMES1S » Thu Jul 08, 2010 5:53 pm

Drip wrote:Just discussing a few things about this thread with my Solicitor. :P

ha ha ha ha...nice... :D
NEMES1S

Postby Drip » Fri Jul 09, 2010 10:48 am

Well,
I've been in deep discussion with my Solicitor and we have come to the conclusion that I will be fileing a 'lawsuit' against a Mr BinkleBonk, a Mr Tony and a Mr Nemesis for slanderous remarks and approvals against my good name. A summons will appear to have these three amigos appear in my local Maldon Kangaroo Court. I am seeking compensation for such distress (oh damn, I can feel my ankle go now too :cry: ...thats another penalty!) by attaining all their dive gear :D

:!:
Drip

Postby NEMES1S » Fri Jul 09, 2010 11:12 am

Drip wrote:Well,
I've been in deep discussion with my Solicitor and we have come to the conclusion that I will be fileing a 'lawsuit' against a Mr BinkleBonk, a Mr Tony and a Mr Nemesis for slanderous remarks and approvals against my good name. A summons will appear to have these three amigos appear in my local Maldon Kangaroo Court. I am seeking compensation for such distress (oh damn, I can feel my ankle go now too :cry: ...thats another penalty!) by attaining all their dive gear :D

*Waves from Mexican border.... :lol:
NEMES1S

Postby binklebonk » Fri Jul 09, 2010 1:06 pm

Drip wrote:Well,

Well well... Vexatious litigation is the last refuge of the damned, charlatan, fraudulent, corporate, corrupt or guilty.. you choose!
:D
binklebonk

Postby Drip » Fri Jul 09, 2010 3:29 pm

Now now Mr Binkbonk ...mustn't speak ill of my unc...er I mean the Judge's 'Court of Law'. He is most proud of his 'refuge' for those who suffer such slanderous attacks and physical abuse. Even as I speak, he is polishing the Kangaroo upon the Coat of Arms above his desk. :P
Drip

Postby combers » Fri Jul 09, 2010 4:37 pm

Drip wrote:Now now Mr Binkbonk ...mustn't speak ill of my unc...er I mean the Judge's 'Court of Law'.

Your family name isn't Karam, is it?
Never assume an unexploded goat is evidence of a good decompression profile.
combers

Postby Drip » Sat Jul 10, 2010 1:54 am

combers wrote:Your family name isn't Karam, is it?

nah, but it's me cuz ...bro. :wink:

cont...
So when a Mr Binklebonk, a Mr Tony and a Mr Nemesis finally appear here at Maldon (don't look on Googlearth, it ain't there) - we shall get on with proceedings. I presume all dive gear will accompany as character reference. Now please excuse me as I have to see a Qu ...Doctor regarding a neck brace.
Drip

Postby Drip » Sat Jul 10, 2010 8:30 pm

Was using 02. 32% both dives. Guide was using 32% and 36% upon 2nd dive. Other 3 divers were using Air.

Binks picked up my error as I should have included that I still had 150 bar plus AND at this rate it would take ages to get to 50 bar.

The Cinema didn't silt up at all much. What can I say, even in Split-Fins, I'm a natural :P .
The Guide never silted up at all, not even a stir. Although I had come from afar (across that ditch) and there was many chances that I would miss out again on diving the Lermie (first time was the impression that it was only for Tech Divers and thus didn't dive when I was in Nelson), I am a very considerate person and I prioritised my trying not to silt up for the other divers behind me BEFORE I enjoy looking around for my Lermie experience, let alone taking photos. This is one of the reasons why I didn't take my camera on the second dive. Having checked with the other divers between dives, who stated that there was minimal silt up and seemed happy with my performance ahead, I still looked behind to see if all was ok and I was able to see the lovely DM in the rear with much clarity.
The Cinema was great and I don't think the entry/exits were a bother ...maybe if you have a lot of gear (twinnies/rebreather/etc), but this is just a presumption (?). There was only one place where it was pretty tight, but we all got through easy without bother, by slowing down and just being sure of our motions.
We did have a good Pre-Dive talk and I'm sure the guide would say "no way" if he thought we weren't capable and that's regarding frame of mind, attitude. He was constantly checking us and was quite aware the whole time. This is why I could tell he wasn't bored with the 'routine' of the dive, he really enjoyed the dives and being the Guide.
The parts of the Lermie he took us around and into were 'just' inside via passageways and I'm glad I experienced them.
Redundant Gas? Well that would be good and an added luxury. I dive solo without one all the time, though I'm sure I will grab a pony bottle soon. I won't though, stop myself diving becasue of this, let alone not having various Certs, gear and other things ...but this can be another discussion entirely.

Anyway, I can understand your 'concern' with the official write-ups of my great Dive Experience and for the greater good, I'm glad you picked up a few errors.
I will recommend OW divers of limited experience to dive the Lermie - but it is a strict guided experience and with restrictions, that can be canned if the guide's view is that that OW diver is not up to getting down upon the wreck or continuing.

Hope this alleviates some matters.
Drip

Postby ChuckyBob » Sat Jul 10, 2010 8:38 pm

Well its certainly a load off my mind. :wink:
ChuckyBob

Postby Tony » Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:22 am

All good dude. As I said I know I've made decisions that in retrospect were not wise so glad to see you're all sorted here. Come back soon dude and dive her again. Are you an addict yet?
You know the speed of light. So what is the speed of dark?
Tony

Postby binklebonk » Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:10 pm

Keep in mind is that the wreck is not a static thing. Those doors that are hanging down on their hinges are waiting to drop. The metal in the hinges is recycled balalaika strings and the dental fillings of Russian political prisoners. These have sat rusting for 25 years now..

Next time you go into the cinema have a look at the door that has fallen near the aft entrance. That's recent, and suggests that perhaps a single tank and nothing more is not enough to provide options should things get "sketchy".
Last edited by binklebonk on Wed Jul 14, 2010 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
binklebonk

Previous

Return to Trip Reports and Dive Logs