N99: Storm Riders..

Tell us about your latest adventure here!

N99: Storm Riders..

Postby NEMES1S » Mon Jun 14, 2010 6:57 am

Storm Riders at the Yung Pen

Pic compliments of "Banquet Bear" (Local photographer Mark F.)

Well my first dive since I arrived back from Japan straight into the South Coast and 12 degree water for a max dive time of 50mins and max depth of 7.5m.
This was basically a graduation dive for a crew of divers that were recently certified Open Water by Splash Gordons,and what a graduation dive it was.
We initially met at the shop with a warm welcome by Lisa and Rob West who were running the show today in fine form,fantastic fill for my twin 7s as well..!
After we had a bit of a chat with Bink' and Sel' and another new diver to the Welly scene we made our way towards the dive site.

We hit the water just a bit after one and the weather turned from mild skies to dark low cloud which just opened up with a deluge of hail and blustery winds.
The hail pummeled the surface of the water as we swam out with small waves created by the surface wind lapping at the backs of our heads.

Today's divers were:Pete, Andy,SohPing,Teresa,Mel,Sean,Keith,James,Jerry,Cindy(in spirit) and I think that was the lot.
Everybody had a great dive,we initially dropped down in the channel and just slowly worked our way towards the wreck,there was a slight bit of tidal draw running down the side of the wreck and possibly a little current on the return home but no issues.

We all lapped the Yung Pen a few times and had a look at how it has shifted slightly,after a few laps most of the poor wetsuit divers were feeling the chill so some returned,Sean and Pete and I decided to have a bit of a look inside the hull of the Yung Pen and surprisingly enough there is quite a lot of room in there.
The vis inside was great and there was a horde of Crayfish,Sean and I had a bit of a look around and then followed Pete out from the bow.

Sean and Keith and I were the last in the water and by now the weather had really swung,there was some serious surface slop and strong gusting winds,I swam Keith into the mouth of the exit channel and watched him haul himself out of the maelstrom,back to Sean who was having some ear troubles in the shallows I waited for him to descend as soon as he did I thought it would be the perfect time for.... "an S-drill" :lol: >2m water and serious surface chop and mild undercurrent and being pushed sideways by water movement...lovely...good times..

Sean and I busted out into the next channel and found a load more wreckage and got out as well,then we all headed to Cindy's for some hot food and drink.
Many thanks to Cindy and her husband and family for having us and Pete for organizing the show...top stuff.
Also big thanks to Mel and Cindy for the invite,great dive..

NEMES1S
Moderator / NIGHTDIVERS99 Crew

Re: N99: Storm Riders..

Postby Cameron_R » Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:23 am

NEMES1S wrote:... the weather turned from mild skies to dark low cloud which just opened up with a deluge of hail and blustery winds.
The hail pummeled the surface of the water as we swam out with small waves created by the surface wind lapping at the backs of our heads.

Man, I miss wellington.

Sad because it's true. We had crappy weather here also (got within about 3cm from another house flood), but the difference is, there was no diving going on up here for me :(
Cameron_R

Postby somethin fishy » Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:29 am

I herard a rumour there was a video form yeasterday??
Andy Stewart
somethin fishy

Postby alijtaylor » Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:34 pm

Cameron_R wrote:Man, I miss wellington.

Me too, not sure about the conditions though but the Yung Pen is a geat dive.

And fab photos!

Alison
alijtaylor

Postby petemes » Mon Jun 21, 2010 9:55 pm

yeah, we had much the same conditions were we were recently.

Here Simon is shown having noticeable difficulty exiting the water just north of Wellington!
"A little less talk a little more action" Elvis Presley
petemes
Site Sponsor

Postby NEMES1S » Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:47 pm

LOL....really starting to go off you... Mr Mes' :lol:
And in a shorty wetsuit "just North of Welly" was how many 1000kms... :lol:
NEMES1S

Postby petemes » Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:23 pm

Sorry Robbo,

this was in Tauranga a few days ago! Cant you see Motiti in the background?
petemes
Site Sponsor

Postby NEMES1S » Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:26 pm

petemes wrote:Sorry Robbo,

this was in Tauranga a few days ago! Cant you see Motiti in the background?

Ha ha ha ha its just not fair,my last dive was 11 degrees and I think in 11 degrees with no or limited thermal protection you would have about 2hrs max before you became another statistic of Hypothermia deaths..

As for the pic why is that pic in your Truk Lagoon pics on FB then...ha ha ha ha... :lol: :lol:
NEMES1S

Postby petemes » Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:43 pm

Aaaaaam. eeeeeem , eeerrrrrrrrmmmmm,

Sheeeit! got me there!
petemes
Site Sponsor

Postby NEMES1S » Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:49 pm

petemes wrote:Aaaaaam. eeeeeem , eeerrrrrrrrmmmmm,

Sheeeit! got me there!

Another casualty of Facebook.... how many times have I posted on there what a great night dive it was 2 hours before I actually finshed work that night...ha ha ha :oops: :lol:

NEMES1S

Return to Trip Reports and Dive Logs