Is that a weed or a fish??

Tell us about your latest adventure here!

Is that a weed or a fish??

Postby somethin fishy » Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:29 pm

Tonight our diving foursome turned into a twosome so Jerry and I ended uping go for a quick splash after work tonight on the South Coast in Wellington... Despite the northerly over the last two days there was still as reasonable swell on the South Coast, so we decided to hit the relative shelter of Island Bay and dive the reef running from the Baithouse out to the east of the Island.

Viz was pretty average mostly 2 - 3 meters, I couldn't see jerry if he was more than a body length away from me if he was shinning his torch forward.

On jumping in I quickly thought its time to switch form the 5 to 7mm wetsuit and start diving in neoprene gloves, the water temp has got down to single digits 9 degrees c.. sigh..

Despite the poor viz there was as always allot to see, saw a monster bubbles red cod in the rocks amongst the kelp, the biggest tarakihi I have seen on a shore dive was sitting in the sand on the weed line.. Both disappeared before I got my act together with camera... Along a bit further and I spied a skate half buried in the sand, we have seen a few of these lately, I love the shovel snout they have.. Saw the usual crayfish in the rocks and seahorses on the kelp, but tonight I saw something else... My first WEEDFISH!!

Jerry was taking pics of a wandering anemone and I was having a good look around keeping out of his way, but still in site, which was a challenge, out of the corner of my eye I spied this very strange redish looking leafy thing... On closer inspection, it was a fish.. A weedfish, I think! It was very shy and quickly buggered off excuse the poor pic.. But this was a first for me and I thought it was very cool!!!

On surfacing beside the Baithouse, I felt something whack into my hand.. Kamikaze piper, attracted to the light.. There were dozens of them, amazing indigo colours..

All and all a pretty enjoyable dive, but what dives aren’t??
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by somethin fishy on Fri Jun 18, 2010 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Andy Stewart
somethin fishy

Re: Is that a weed or a fish??

Postby Chels » Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:42 pm

Great pics Andy!!! But 9 degrees...holy moly that southerly has blown in the chilly waters yikes....mate can't believe you did it in a 5ml with thse gloves you use....you're hard bro!!!
To infinity and beyond!!!
Chels
NIGHTDIVERS99 Crew

Postby Drip » Fri Jun 18, 2010 3:14 pm

9 degrees celcius in a 5mm :!:
:shock:

hmmm ...do you have long hair?
or is it that you thump down a large slab of venison meat before the dive?
Do you slowly integrate yourself into the water rather that just jump in for the bodyshock?
Do you sit with a hot cup of soup between the wrists to knock up your blood flow an extra 2 degrees to, say, 37 body temp (old kangaroo trick)?

:?:
Drip

Postby somethin fishy » Fri Jun 18, 2010 8:41 pm

No, no long hair Drip.... Just a good amount of neoprene!!

So still not 100% certain what type of topknot this is, most advise is its a Brown topknot, Notoclinus compressus due to the second dorsal being taller than the first.

The other theory is it’s a New Zealand topknot, Notoclinus fenestratus, as it was quite flat and not oval like I am lead to believe brown topknots are. It is also quiet a red colour and the colouring and pattern seemed to match with this fish more.

Here is the pic cropped abit flipped upside down, and the other one I took which didn't really come out...

Thanks to thoose who have helpded me identify this fish as a topknot...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Andy Stewart
somethin fishy

Postby NEMES1S » Fri Jun 18, 2010 9:30 pm

Wait until Alison sees this she will be back here in a flash....ha ha ha
NEMES1S
Moderator / NIGHTDIVERS99 Crew

Postby alijtaylor » Sat Jun 19, 2010 5:27 pm

Chels wrote:Great pics Andy!!! But 9 degrees...holy moly that southerly has blown in the chilly waters yikes....mate can't believe you did it in a 5ml with thse gloves you use....you're hard bro!!!

My sentiments exactly!

Alison
alijtaylor

Postby alijtaylor » Sat Jun 19, 2010 5:28 pm

NEMES1S wrote:Wait until Alison sees this she will be back here in a flash....ha ha ha

Yeah right.. I love the skate photos and the weed fish is impressive too but I'm going to need a dry suit..

Alison
alijtaylor

Postby NEMES1S » Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:55 pm

alijtaylor wrote:
NEMES1S wrote:Wait until Alison sees this she will be back here in a flash....ha ha ha

Yeah right.. I love the skate photos and the weed fish is impressive too but I'm going to need a dry suit..

Alison

Tonight it was 11-12 degree's and cold but not miserable,even in my Semi-dry... :lol: (Which to be honest was 98% dry...YES!! :D )

And...wait for it...drum-roll......

I found my first Weed-fish/Topknot ...whatever tonight on top of the Progress Boiler...!!! Way cool,Pete hopefully got some pics!!
NEMES1S
Moderator / NIGHTDIVERS99 Crew

Return to Trip Reports and Dive Logs