N99: The heart of Yung.

Tell us about your latest adventure here!

N99: The heart of Yung.

Postby NEMES1S » Sun Jun 20, 2010 2:57 pm

The heart of Yung

Well last night we decided to hit the wreck of the Yung Pen again and have a closer look at the inside of the wreck.
Last nights divers were myself and Pete and Mari and Waterbaby,the plan was that Waterbaby and buddy and myself and Pete would swim out to the Progress boiler and have a bit of a look at how much it has moved,and wow it really has rolled in the storm..!
Also saw my very first Weedfish?/Topknot? which I pointed out to Pete,it was sitting in some weed right at the top of the wreck washing back and forth gently with the overhead seas.

We were right on low tide and spring tides in swing so we were a little cautious but the tides and current was fine,the vis was good the temp was between 11-12 degrees which wasn't to bad,although I thought I had flooded my drysuit at one stage because of the cold.(In actual fact it was that my new Lava core top is so warm the lower part of my body was very cold in comparison. Lava-core=very warm...good call Jimbo..!! :lol: )

We had a good 40min dive about the debris field and then swung back towards the wreck and Waterbaby and her buddy did their thing as Pete and I marked our exits with Cylume sticks and headed into the remains of the hull,it was obviously a lot darker at night with no external light streaming through the portholes or fissures in the wall,we moved in and Pete wedged himself in a gap at the end of the 'corridor' and began to take some pics,I noticed the vis dropping substantially with the gas billowing out of the exhaust tee's and up across the roof where it was dislodging silt and rust and all-sorts.
The vis went from good to poor fairly quickly but all was well,we pottered about in the wreck for another 20 mins or so and Pete snapped some pics.

The inside of the wreck I was hoping would be littered with interesting bits but sadly there was little of interest,only thing remotely interesting I found was an old knackered spark plug... :lol:
Another thing that was interesting was the constant "roar" when we were inside the wreck of the bubbles funneling up the inside of the hull,very odd sound,and initially a little un-nerving...all in all though a great ~78min dive with a max depth of ~7m

Also recorded my lowest SAC rate to date of ~12-lpm..!!
NEMES1S
Moderator / NIGHTDIVERS99 Crew

Re: N99: The heart of Yung.

Postby alijtaylor » Sun Jun 20, 2010 8:29 pm

NEMES1S wrote:The heart of Yung

Another thing that was interesting was the constant "roar" when we were inside the wreck of the bubbles funneling up the inside of the hull,very odd sound,and initially a little un-nerving

With a SAC like that you can't have been too unnerved.

Alison
alijtaylor

Re: N99: The heart of Yung.

Postby NEMES1S » Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:30 am

alijtaylor wrote:
NEMES1S wrote:The heart of Yung

Another thing that was interesting was the constant "roar" when we were inside the wreck of the bubbles funneling up the inside of the hull,very odd sound,and initially a little un-nerving

With a SAC like that you can't have been too unnerved.

Alison

It was very shallow and we were literally just sitting inside the wreck doing nothing,well I was doing nothing... :lol: Pete was of course snapping away.
It was pretty odd feeling inside the wreck in the dark,knowing that external light is one means to find a way out of the Yung Pen and having that taken away is an odd sensation in itself.

Claire from Dive HQ said that back in the day that the lip and the front of the wreck used to be so much higher that you could easily swim right through the wreck from front to back,without any bother....its slowly pancaking flat...eventually it will collapse and just be a pile of bent steel on the sea floor like most other wrecks around the Southern Coast.
NEMES1S
Moderator / NIGHTDIVERS99 Crew

Return to Trip Reports and Dive Logs