Truk 2010 Trip Report

Tell us about your latest adventure here!

Truk 2010 Trip Report

Postby petemes » Sat Jul 03, 2010 2:19 pm

Bit of a delay in getting a trip report going for the last truk trip. Just sorting through all the images and getting them up on my site.

Anyways, another fantastic trip, 20 people from 7 different countries 17 breathers, three open circuit and not all techos!!!! It was great to get a good mix of people. Hopefully this will entice you all to come and see what all the fuss is all about.
I spent most of my time this trip taking ambient light shots so probably some of the least penetration I have done - ever! But loved it.

Trip report below.

http://petemesley.com/TRUKLAGOON2010TRIPREPORT.htm

Just some pickees to wet the appetite if you cant be bothered reading the trip report (mind you there are more pictures than text!)

Wreck of the Shinkoku Maru sitting in 30m of water!

Here is a plant for those plant lovers!!!

Wheelhouse of the Nippo Maru bridge is in 24m of water

Stern of the Oite in 60m.
"A little less talk a little more action" Elvis Presley
petemes
Site Sponsor

Re: Truk 2010 Trip Report

Postby binklebonk » Sat Jul 03, 2010 2:24 pm

You utter utter bubbles Pete! :wink:

Very nice pics there. I love the ones that include the bunks or washbasins, they remind that these were human habitats.

There's a book on TM at the moment about the history and wrecks of Truk.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing ... =300666376

Have you seen this book if so is it any good?

My next big trip is another week down in dusky/breaksea/doubtful sounds. But I swear after that I will be heading to Truk!
binklebonk

Postby petemes » Sat Jul 03, 2010 2:50 pm

Hey Robbo,

Yeah thats Dan Bailey's Book. Probably one of the best diving texts around on Truk. EXTREMELY well put together. Massive resource on the history of truk, actual recollections of the pilots that decimated the Japanese. If you are wanting to go to truk this is the diving bible on the place. Its a hard cover. Good investment. There are, however a few irregularities within the text about the wrecks, but its all part of the fun when you dive the wrecks to realise which parts are incorrect. I guess Dan had to rely on peoples recollections of the wrecks as he couldnt dive all of them in detail. He is a great guy and I have been in constant contact with him for the last 3 years. He has some amazing projects which I am working on trying to become a part of.

Pete
petemes
Site Sponsor

Postby djwazzo » Sat Jul 03, 2010 7:09 pm

Love the lighting on the telegraph - well done. Another awesome trip. Looks great!
djwazzo

Postby petemes » Sat Jul 03, 2010 8:47 pm

Thanks mate, I got you and Nikki booked in for next year! Its a photographers dream! And I mean for the fish/plant photographers too!! Its simply stunning. I really want to get non techo people thinking about coming. The diving is so good, consistently good its frightening!
Hope all is well

Pete
petemes
Site Sponsor

Postby Tony » Sat Jul 03, 2010 10:39 pm

Definitely a trip to consider doing at some stage.
You know the speed of light. So what is the speed of dark?
Tony

Postby Paul » Sun Jul 04, 2010 8:54 am

Amazing photos. Looks like it was an amazing trip. Can't wait to go.
Who needs a hobby when you have an obsession?
Paul

Postby Refraction » Sun Jul 04, 2010 5:24 pm

Love the opening shot!!!
"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire.”
Refraction

Postby alijtaylor » Mon Jul 05, 2010 9:01 am

Fantstic photos and great report. News of "Shane, representing the recreational diving single tank divers" makes me think there is hope that I might get up there sometime.

Thanks for providing inspiration to plan future excursions.

Alison
alijtaylor

Postby DiveDiva » Tue Jul 06, 2010 7:15 am

*speechless* (as always!). Top job Pete!
DiveDiva
Forum Administrator
DiveDiva
Forum Administrator

Postby Cameron_R » Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:34 am

I particularly like the first shot in this post Pete!
How long was the exposure, and how did you hold the camera steady (did you have a tripod or something like that)?

Cameron
Cameron_R

Postby petemes » Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:51 am

Hi Alison,

Many thanks to all for your kind words. There were a couple of recreational divers there from our group this year. (more next year by the looks of things!!)

One of the things i will be doing is working harder to promoting this fantastic destination to the recreational divers, photographers, plant and animal hunters alike
I have a link here to some of the pictures of aquatic life taken on the trip http://petemesley.com/TRUKLAGOONPLANTS.htm

The life is stunning. So, as a recreational diver you can really enjoy some fantastic wrecks 35m and shallower, have a look round the wreck for "wreck things" then enjoy the life round the wreck.
I am also researching the outer reefs. Outside the lagoon there are amazing dropoffs that go 400m+ so will see on my next trip what these sites have to offer. Many people rave about Palau about the aquatic life, but on more occasion now when people have come to truk have said that the life in Truk is on par with Palau. Maybe not the expanse of Mantas, schooling barracuda etc etc but its all good.

Something to think about.

Pete

alijtaylor wrote:Fantstic photos and great report. News of "Shane, representing the recreational diving single tank divers" makes me think there is hope that I might get up there sometime.

Thanks for providing inspiration to plan future excursions.

Alison
petemes
Site Sponsor

Postby petemes » Tue Jul 06, 2010 11:21 am

HI Cameron,

Metadata for the dive is 1.5 sec exposure, 4.5 F , ISO 200.

You can hold the camera still up to about a 1 second exposure. But clamping yourself down to steady the camera is not a bad idea. I used to use tripods (still do) but not too much as you can really get some great results by using other means. Its a hassle and setting up the tripod inside a wreck is most of the time impossible, Just use what you have, railings, ledges, etc. AND TAKE LOTS OF PICTURES OF THE SAME THING. I took about 30 odd images of this engineroom, but the more you take using different exposures.

pete

Cameron_R wrote:I particularly like the first shot in this post Pete!
How long was the exposure, and how did you hold the camera steady (did you have a tripod or something like that)?

Cameron
petemes
Site Sponsor

Postby Drip » Tue Jul 06, 2010 1:46 pm

I think you'll find that although Palau has 'Reservation/Sanctuary/etc' status's and zones around their tiny nation, heaps of nations just ignore the zones willy-nilly and fish, drift net, shark-fin, etc to the point where Palau is a shadow of its former self.
The Political Leader just boosts his own political charisma by supporting such zones, but Palau doesn't have the resources to enforce those zones against such activities. There was a ship donated to Palau, but the Fishermen just get away with it in the end ...as they do everywhere.

I think we must create underwater 'systems' that stimulate the proliferation of underwater life x3 as what was capable of naturally. You can't stop Fishing, you can't stop poulational growth/demand, but you can start something else. (end rant)
Drip

Postby petemes » Tue Jul 06, 2010 2:10 pm

Hi Jas,

Have you been to Palau?

We had 2 guys spend a week in Palau before they came to truk this year. They werent that impressed with it to be honest. But then again, they werent what you would call "fishy People"

Yeah its an interesting subject. We have people in this day and age that are 100% living off the sea and land. I have to say if it was a choice between feeding my family or a tourist taking a happy snap of the fish that would feed my family. I know what would win everytime!!

The other debate also is - if you dont fish then the tourists will come to see the fish, money will come into the country etc etc. BUT how many of these breadline people would ever see one cent of this "tourist dollar?????" my bet is not one, just the operators.

Just another reminder of the harsh reality of what is going on as we speak. Thats why I am on a crusade to plan to see as much as I can, document it before it is all gone. The wrecks in Truk are really starting to look their age. Falling over, disintegrating, decks falling in........ Its not all going to be gone in 5 years but what IS happening is that the wrecks are changing annually and things will never be what they were.

pete

Drip wrote:I think you'll find that although Palau has 'Reservation/Sanctuary/etc' status's and zones around their tiny nation, heaps of nations just ignore the zones willy-nilly and fish, drift net, shark-fin, etc to the point where Palau is a shadow of its former self.
The Political Leader just boosts his own political charisma by supporting such zones, but Palau doesn't have the resources to enforce those zones against such activities. There was a ship donated to Palau, but the Fishermen just get away with it in the end ...as they do everywhere.

I think we must create underwater 'systems' that stimulate the proliferation of underwater life x3 as what was capable of naturally. You can't stop Fishing, you can't stop poulational growth/demand, but you can start something else. (end rant)
petemes
Site Sponsor

Next

Return to Trip Reports and Dive Logs