Porteau Cove, Vancouver BC

Tell us about your latest adventure here!

Porteau Cove, Vancouver BC

Postby binklebonk » Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:37 pm

Well just got back from a week in Vancouver. What a great city! I'm not a fan of big cities usually but then I'd never experienced such a place. It is beautiful, functional and has incredible outdoor opportunity in every direction.

I managed to squeeze in a couple of dives in a place called Porteau cove. It's a popular area for training and has a few deliberately sunk small wrecks and an artificial reef that is home to a wide variety of critters. If you look closely at the pic you can see a number of small bouys, these are attached to various wrecks.
porteau_cove_01_640.jpg

I decided the easiest way to jack up a dive was to put up a thread on scubaboard asking for anyone in the area who was keen to get in touch with me, this is of course a bit of a risky gamble as we all know what freaks dive forum members can be.. :wink: The fella I ended up heading out with was a guy by the name of Brent and although he was a new diver he was very competent and a pleasure to dive with. When we got to the site I was not overly impressed with the look of the water, it was quite frankly liquid mud... But Brent said that fairly often the vis improved dramatically below the thermocline that was typically at about 6-8m.

So we swam out to one of the bouys and descended in about 30cms of vis till we hit the 6m mark where suddenly the water temp went from 17˚C to about 10˚C and the vis thankfully opened out to about 8-10m. The wreck we had descended on was the Granthall (a steel tugboat) which had been sunk 18 years prior and was well encrusted with life. There were these big "cauliflowers on a stick" everywhere that are called Plumose..
plum.jpg

It seemed everything was bigger there, Ling Cod that were almost 2m long, a Great Pacific Octopus that was about 6ft long and a huge variety of crabs and stars (brittle, feather...). There were masses of jellies around as well though only one I saw was a nasty stinger variety and I think it was a Lions mane Jelly.

I can't wait to get back there sometime and get out to some of the sites on Vancouver Island that are some of the "premier" sites.
:D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
binklebonk

Re: Porteau Cove, Vancouver BC

Postby NEMES1S » Mon Aug 16, 2010 3:13 pm

Nice, any more pics...?? :D
NEMES1S
Moderator / NIGHTDIVERS99 Crew

Postby Andy » Mon Aug 16, 2010 3:45 pm

binklebonk wrote:When we got to the site I was not overly impressed with the look of the water, it was quite frankly liquid mud... But Brent said that fairly often the vis improved dramatically below the thermocline that was typically at about 6-8m.

Yeah, that's not uncommon in that area. One of the reasons why can lights are "standard kit" for a lot of divers in the PNW region. Clear, but dark because of the surface layer of crap.

Next time you go, Rob, give us a bit more notice as we might arrange a trip at the same time - I have some contacts on the island that we can hit up a few dives. I am keen to get up to Port Hardy, I have heard good things about the diving up in the north of the island.
Andy
Serial Poster

Postby binklebonk » Mon Aug 16, 2010 4:11 pm

NEMES1S wrote:Nice, any more pics...?? :D

No sorry I didn't have a camera so even those I put up are "representative only".
binklebonk

Postby binklebonk » Mon Aug 16, 2010 4:13 pm

Andy wrote:
binklebonk wrote:When we got to the site I was not overly impressed with the look of the water, it was quite frankly liquid mud... But Brent said that fairly often the vis improved dramatically below the thermocline that was typically at about 6-8m.

Yeah, that's not uncommon in that area. One of the reasons why can lights are "standard kit" for a lot of divers in the PNW region. Clear, but dark because of the surface layer of crap.
Yeah it was very much like Fiordland in that way. Ambient light equivalent to huge depths close to the surface.

Next time you go, Rob, give us a bit more notice as we might arrange a trip at the same time - I have some contacts on the island that we can hit up a few dives. I am keen to get up to Port Hardy, I have heard good things about the diving up in the north of the island.

I will definitely be in touch when I go again.
binklebonk

Postby petemes » Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:01 pm

HI Rob,

Nice one. I have always wanted to go dive the great lakes of Caaaaanadia. the Wrecks there really interest me. apart from being colder than an abattoir I believe the diving to be outstanding. It will have to be sooner rather than later as the older I get the softer I become so warm water is a stronger draw card for me these days. Will make it though!

Great report.

Pete
"A little less talk a little more action" Elvis Presley
petemes
Site Sponsor

Postby Andy » Wed Aug 18, 2010 2:40 pm

The lakes are awesome, Pete.... the fresh water and lack of light really preserves the deeper wrecks.

There are wooden barques from the 1800s sitting in 30-50m of water that are in the same condition as when they sank. When you get into the 70-90m range, there are some stunning wrecks.

These photos of the Arabia show you some of the conditions the wrecks are in. The Arabia sank in 1884.... and she's only in 34m of water or so:

http://www.wrecksandreefs.com/arabia.htm

We're hoping to get a summer trip one year (rather than our traditional Christmas pilgrimage) and have a bit of wreck fest out of Kingston, plus also get up to the Empress of Ireland. Want to come along???
Andy
Serial Poster

Postby binklebonk » Wed Aug 18, 2010 5:29 pm

Yup those wrecks in the Great Lakes are very compelling reasons to head back! 8)
binklebonk

Postby NEMES1S » Wed Aug 18, 2010 8:22 pm

Yeah diving to those depths your RB Bink' would be paying off,certainly clock a fair bit of deco up on OC.
The Empress of Ireland though wow...that would be a hell of a trip report Andy..!
NEMES1S
Moderator / NIGHTDIVERS99 Crew

Postby Andy » Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:39 pm

NEMES1S wrote:The Empress of Ireland though wow...that would be a hell of a trip report Andy..!

I am hoping next June, we shall see. She's in much the same depths as the Lermontov - the only real issue is that she is in the middle of the shipping lane in the St Lawrence, probably one of the busiest lanes in the world. I've got a contact who organises regular trips, though - so can not worry about the logistics and just turn up.
Andy
Serial Poster

Postby Cameron_R » Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:58 am

binklebonk wrote:I managed to squeeze in a couple of dives in a place called Porteau cove.

Binks, did you take the KISS?

if you did, how did you find travelling with the rebreather, and which bits did you take and which did you leave behind?
Cameron_R

Postby binklebonk » Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:12 am

Cameron_R wrote:Binks, did you take the KISS?

if you did, how did you find travelling with the rebreather, and which bits did you take and which did you leave behind?

No as I only had a day to get some diving in I just took my OC regs and mask and rented the rest.

That bloody SPG really rules your life on OC!! :P
binklebonk

Return to Trip Reports and Dive Logs