September "Skive Dive"

Tell us about your latest adventure here!

September "Skive Dive"

Postby Andy » Thu Sep 09, 2010 11:41 am

Managed to get out for a dive yesterday at the Poor Knights, along with Sonny, Hannah, Hamish, Chris and James.

The first dive was a little average, to be honest - it seems like "spring vis" is here early. A pleasant enough dive at Middle Channel, including a short excursion into Boom Boom Cave.

The surface interval was "not your usual", as D!T were helping out the Northland Rescue Helicopter train a new winchman. Here's a short video of the action:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHsIZlMKckw

along with some photos:

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=4 ... 127&ref=mf

Second dive was pretty cool, myself, James and Tristan J headed into the back of Scary Cave. Past the restriction, visibility was surprisingly good and once we got through the halocline into the fresh water we spent a good 20 minutes fascinated by the clay structures in the rear chamber. Despite the good vis, we still didn't get to find any additional exits or air chambers - though we did get a better idea of the shape of the cave, so next time will have a look in a different spot.
Andy
Serial Poster

Re: September "Skive Dive"

Postby ChrisB » Thu Sep 09, 2010 6:43 pm

So it WAS you guys blocking our entry past the restriction - on our way out i noticed there were extra lights behind me, more than i expected to see. Was a fun day out, thanks Andy
Sometimes I think I understand EVERYTHING ---- then I regain consciousness
ChrisB

Re: September "Skive Dive"

Postby Andy » Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:02 pm

ChrisB wrote:So it WAS you guys blocking our entry past the restriction - on our way out i noticed there were extra lights behind me, more than i expected to see. Was a fun day out, thanks Andy

LOL! At least it was more lights rather than less..... there's not much more worse than that sinking feeling of counting one less light than there should be. It's normally nice to realise that it's only an instructor screwing with you and that your other team member is just floating in the darkness, but the one time it's happened to me for real certainly saw the breathing rate go up a bit....
Andy
Serial Poster

Return to Trip Reports and Dive Logs