ICE Diving in Lake Alta

Tell us about your latest adventure here!

ICE Diving in Lake Alta

Postby petemes » Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:25 am

Just got back from an awesome weekend down in Queenstown doing some ice diving and also getting in some of the local sites! Full dive report will be in dive NZ mag soon but thought I might show you a few images. Richie The Pro came down with me and he also has some stunning images. I have to say a massive thank you to Scuba Steve Wanaka (Steve Traynor) this guy put on a massive South Island welcome and opened up his home to Richie and me. Steve knows how to look after people so if you want to experience something different give him a call!
Each year the Cromwell Dive Club host the Ice dive and this year they teamed up with Scuba Steve Wanaka to put on an awesome weekend.

Groomers being loaded at base

Steve Bell, one of Cromwell dive clubs longest lasting members cutting a hole in the ice. Steve has been there for all 23 years of the ice diving experiences!

Richie "The Pro" at the ready!!

Hole all cut, just the slightest hesitation before the big plunge!!!!

some hole shots!!

With a massive dumping of snow the day before there was about a meter of snow over the ice so ambient light was lower this year. You still didnt need torches though!!

Richie and me before the second dive!!

After the second dive!!! both of us were totally buggered! But TOTALLY Happy!!!!

Organisers of the wicked event Steve Bell and Gary Ellis from Cromwell dive Club (in association with Scuba Steve Wanaka) put on AWESOME feeds on both days. Great stuff guys!!

On the Sunday we did the Lowburn bridge dive where there was a 1958 Vaxhaul car left on the bridge when the lake was flooded. Really trying conditions with less than half a meter viz. I have taken a few picks of the car that have come out but am holding those for the article. Keep an eye out for the article in the up and coming issues! Plus loads of other under the ice shots!!!

Already planning to head down for next years event. If you are keen to go let me know and I will keep you in the loop.

Just something different - now I have to spend 2 weeks in the tropics to thaw out!!!!!

Pete Mes
"A little less talk a little more action" Elvis Presley
petemes
Site Sponsor

Re: ICE Diving in Lake Alta

Postby denzilmstn » Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:02 am

Thanks for sharing. Looks like a great day. I'll have to keep an eye out for both articles.
denzilmstn

Postby silent solutions » Fri Sep 10, 2010 3:51 pm

open circuit what were you thinking!!!
silent solutions

Postby petemes » Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:23 pm

Yeah, what was I thinking Gibo? Have to say though 90% of the time I was just below the ice (bloody computer didnt even switch on!!) so right tool for the right job right? I might take a small one next year (modded out ray) which will make it nice and light. PLan on spending more time in the water next year.

Pete
petemes
Site Sponsor

Postby Tony » Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:10 am

Wow that looks awesome Pete. Damn cold though I'll bet.
You know the speed of light. So what is the speed of dark?
Tony

Postby alijtaylor » Sun Sep 26, 2010 6:59 pm

Wow! Once I get back from here (and buy a dry suit) I might have to investigate that option, as a Southlander I feel an obligation..
Alison
alijtaylor

Postby petemes » Sun Sep 26, 2010 7:27 pm

alijtaylor wrote:Wow! Once I get back from here (and buy a dry suit) I might have to investigate that option, as a Southlander I feel an obligation..
Alison

Hi Ali,

I am coming your way in November! We must catch up. 18-30 Nov I will be diving with Neil. It will be great!

Pete
petemes
Site Sponsor

Postby alijtaylor » Mon Sep 27, 2010 10:05 pm

Excellent. I'll send a PM with contact details, hopefully by then the wind will have gone down!

Alison
alijtaylor

Postby denise83 » Thu Dec 23, 2010 4:30 am

o my god this is amazing!
denise83

Return to Trip Reports and Dive Logs