1st real rEvo dive.

Tell us about your latest adventure here!

1st real rEvo dive.

Postby ChuckyBob » Sun Nov 07, 2010 7:24 pm

Today I managed to get out for a "real" dive on my new toy. Sure, I had done the training dives and a dip in the lake but today was the first time I dived it in the salt depths of NZ waters.

Dive one was Gannet Rock ( not Gannet Island off the west coast where I have heard reports of a missing diver!).

Due to an out going tide and high current we decided to dive the "other" side of the rock. Vis was 4- 5 meters or so. I had not dived this side for quite some time as its a little bland compared to the other but todays dive was far from disapointing
Max depth was 21 meters and run time was just over an hour. Heaps of mussels as per usual plus a large amount of small blue cod. Also several crays hiding in the cracks and caves.
Also came across a rather large octopus that didnt seem to be bothered at all by our presents even after 5 minutes of photos and videos it only out stretched one tentacle.
There were also a few nudis around. Mostly clowns but also a gem and variable or two but no Apricots like on the other side of the rock. I guess they like the current.

Dive 2 was a scallop dive. I guess scallop diving on CCR is a bit of an over kill but with out the bubbles they cant hear you coming. All CCR divers got their limit while none of the OC divers did. I reckon there is some thing it that! :lol:

All in all a great day of diving.

ChuckyBob

Re: 1st real rEvo dive.

Postby binklebonk » Sun Nov 07, 2010 8:56 pm

Excellent! Bet ya can't wait to do some dives that you couldn't do on OC! :D

The only time I've done a scollie dive on CCR it was crap... must've been a bad spot..

Here's hoping they find the missing diver.
binklebonk

Re: 1st real rEvo dive.

Postby ChuckyBob » Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:31 am

too right! Only 14 days until I'l be diving on the Lermi!

As for the diver.... no sight of him yet. Looks like conditions are pretty good for a search today. Not sure what the water temp is over that side but it was 16 deg on the surface here yesterday.

http://www.3news.co.nz/Search-for-missi ... fault.aspx
http://www.voxy.co.nz/national/search-r ... er/5/70881
ChuckyBob

Return to Trip Reports and Dive Logs