HMNZS Canterbury

Tell us about your latest adventure here!

HMNZS Canterbury

Postby SonnyL » Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:43 pm

Enjoyed an excellent weekend of diving with Northland Dive. We spend both Sat and Sun diving the HMNZ Canterbury wreck, and the conditions couldn't be better! Visibility was as good as it can get... on the second day, we could see part of the wreck while tying in onto the middle buoy! :D

Hamish (dive buddy) told me about the wreck 2 weeks ago after diving with Northland Dive during Labor Day weekend, and since then have been trying to get me to go with him. Last weekend, we decided to go check out the wreck together. On one hand, we feel really sorry for Shane and Julia (owner of Northland Dive) as it is their only free weekend!, but on the other hand, we were glad because we are the only divers there and on the wreck! Conditions were great, the cove was as calm as ever, and visibility was easily 20 - 30 m.

Shane guided us and took us to Boiler room, engine room, sonar room, ops room, and tight corridors which are rarely visited by divers. Guiding is a delicate balance of getting the divers to see as much things as possible without stressing them out! and Shane did a great job of that!... We get to see these places at our own pace and he was just around the corner taking wonderful pictures of us! :mrgreen:

I have to admit I am not much a wreck guy, but the Canterbury proves me wrong. It was well maintained, and though-out before they sank it. There are enough instruments and machineries left behind to be interesting and yet there are enough places for divers who are not too ready for challenges of tight, dark spaces. It is a great wreck for divers of all levels.

Diving wasn't the only great thing this weekend. Being the only 2 divers, we had Julia and Shane all to ourselves! :) We drank and talked about diving (what else!), listened to their stories etc. Not to mention the great salad and roast chicken for dinner!

Anyone going to dive up north, I highly recommend NorthLand Dive. Thanks Shane and Julia for a great weekend. There are hundreds of great pictures taken by Shane and Julia. I have a hard time deciding which one to put up here, but here are some of my favourites... (all pictures copyright of NorthLand Dive)

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
"Slow is smooth. Smooth is fast"
SonnyL

Re: HMNZS Canterbury

Postby Cameron_R » Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:48 pm

Damn the viz has improved in the last week !!!

Awesome stuff Sonny
Cameron_R

Postby NEMES1S » Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:06 pm

Great report and great pic's....thanks..! :D
NEMES1S
Moderator / NIGHTDIVERS99 Crew

Postby Cameron_R » Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:11 pm

Great photos Julia :P :lol: :lol:

(Is Shane still annoyed? )
Cameron_R

Postby binklebonk » Mon Nov 08, 2010 6:36 pm

Nice one!

Gonna be up there for a week in 3 and a bit weeks time!

Hope the vis holds!
binklebonk

Postby DeepPenetrator » Mon Nov 08, 2010 6:42 pm

Totally Awesome, On of the best dive trips I've had in while being in Auckland! I think that phrase and the photo's sum it up!!!!
DeepPenetrator

Postby ChuckyBob » Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:11 pm

binklebonk wrote:Nice one!

Gonna be up there for a week in 3 and a bit weeks time!

Hope the vis holds!

4.5 weeks for me ( but the Lermi in less than 2!!)

Dont worry Bink, Even if its bad vis it will be better than Wellington vis. :lol:
ChuckyBob

Postby Northland Dive » Tue Nov 09, 2010 7:07 pm

Cameron_R wrote:Great photos Julia :P :lol: :lol:

(Is Shane still annoyed? )

Are you talking about MY fantastic shots that went to print in the SUNDAY STAR TIMES MAGAZINE!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Poor Shane is definitely still annoyed I got the credit for them instead of him....my heart bleeds for him :twisted:

I can only claim the Octopus Shot the Sonny posted, Shane took the rest
Northland Dive
Site Sponsor

Postby Northland Dive » Tue Nov 09, 2010 7:16 pm

On one hand, we feel really sorry for Shane and Julia (owner of Northland Dive) as it is their only free weekend!

It was great to meet you Sonny.....You should feel sorry for us!!! we have such a terrible job, we both struggle to get up in the morning and face another Sunny, calm, 20m+ viz day :D :lol: :D

Sonny we had a great weekend, plus I managed to finally great a couple of dives in...brilliant.
We look forward to seeing allot more you you around.

Cheers
Shane & Julia
Northland Dive
Site Sponsor

Return to Trip Reports and Dive Logs