Minato Maru

Tell us about your latest adventure here!

Minato Maru

Postby ChuckyBob » Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:22 pm

99 ton Shrimp trawler. 27 year YO wreck.
After a 2 or 3 minute search (OK 10--15 minutes) using the depth sounder we soon found the wreck. FYI she is about 100m west of the charted position. I'm sure I already knew this.

So we dropped anchor and after gearing up I dropped down the line. Depth 27 meters and I get to the end of the warp and the start of the chain. No wreck to be seen. "Damn I have been cursed by Cameron R" goes through my mind, but as I reach the end of the chain a dark shape looms a couple of meters away. Giving up the safety of the anchor I reach out and low and behold is a real wreck!!!! We managed to anchor right at the bow starboard side so that should help with the navigation.

I had high hopes of doing some long exposure photography of the wreck and had set the camera up with a mono pod which I can push right down into the sand. But upon sighting the vis at the bottom I ended up parking the camera at the anchor and carrying on with the dive cameraless.
Heading anticlockwise, I headed down the port side of the wreck a meter or two off the sand. Half way to the stern I notice some pretty thick ropes heading out along the sand. I followed them for several meters where they terminated on a very large drum. Must have been 2 meters or more in diameter and 4 meters in length. A full lap of the drum and I follow the lines back to the wreck and down to the stern where there is another drum hanging off to starboard.

Up the starboard side and I soon come back to the anchor. Not ready to return to the surface just yet I decide to do another lap. This time instead of following the sand line I go along the deck. Right up at the bow there is a small over hang and after flashing my light around I see some crays. Working my way down the port side again I see a couple more close to the wheel house. A quick look into the wheel house and I contemplate some penetration but decide against it and instead head towards the stern. Another over hang here and looking through I can see some light. Lots of ropes and line here but looks passable so in I go. A few meters later and the area opens right up to the stern. I have a quick look up the starboard side to see if it allows passage forward like the port side but it does not, so back to the stern and up over the roof back to the bow.

I grab my camera and head up the anchor line.

Max depth 27 meter.
43 minutes,
deco 3 minutes.
Crays 2,
Anchors 1 (same I arrived with)
ChuckyBob

Re: Minato Maru

Postby ChuckyBob » Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:25 am

Video done by one of the other divers.

http://youtu.be/WRBYRGXPSio

Correction to last post. Wreck will be 30 years old in September.
ChuckyBob

Postby binklebonk » Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:24 am

Nice bit of vid. Was that Phil on the rEvo?
binklebonk

Postby ChuckyBob » Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:01 pm

Yes it is. John on the OC.
ChuckyBob

Postby divepirate » Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:51 am

Good trip report.
I loved the video.

Shame about the vis, I am sure the next few weeks of cooling will see the sediment clearing.

We're you on OC or CC ? Chucky?
Matt.
Forum Administrator.

I cant think of anything more relaxing, than being in the downunder, breathing some nice clean fresh filtered 21% nitrox.
divepirate
Forum Administrator

Postby ChuckyBob » Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:34 am

I pretty much always dive cc. In fact I don't think I have done any oc dives since I got my rEvo. It's just so easy to set up and use that I don't see the point in switching between oc and cc.
ChuckyBob

Return to Trip Reports and Dive Logs