Karewa Is night dive 30/6/13

Tell us about your latest adventure here!

Karewa Is night dive 30/6/13

Postby Steelo » Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:03 pm

Had a night dive at karewa fri night after work, anchored in 25m on the sand at the edge of the reef se of the "sharks teeth". Heaps of fish life but we only saw a few crays, 1 big girl in berry and couple of small guys, they were well back in there holes too, I was expecting them to be more active, we got in the water just on dusk maybe we were a bit early? Was my buddys first night dive and my first since AOW back in 94. I bought a big torch off trade me last year and this was the first time ive got to try it out properly,its a uk600r it went well happy as, it seems quite buoyant tho is that normal?
Water temp was 13.6 and I was a bit dubious as this is coldest ive dived in new suit, pinnacle elite 1 piece merino lined 7/5mm with separate hood,so I put a thermal top on underneath and it was fine, toasty as!
Great vis about 10m
We will definitely be doing more night dives in future :P
Steelo

Re: Karewa Is night dive 30/6/13

Postby Ulsterkiwi » Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:32 pm

the UK torches can be buoyant, unless of course its one you borrowed and it snags on the boat as you roll off and the weight of your fat bubbles breaks the cord attaching it to your BCD, then it is most definitely NOT buoyant.

night dives are awesome, IMHO the trick is to slow right down and enjoy all the things you dont notice during the day.
Ulsterkiwi

Postby Steelo » Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:20 am

Ulsterkiwi wrote:the UK torches can be buoyant, unless of course its one you borrowed and it snags on the boat as you roll off and the weight of your fat bubbles breaks the cord attaching it to your BCD, then it is most definitely NOT buoyant.

night dives are awesome, IMHO the trick is to slow right down and enjoy all the things you dont notice during the day.

Too right,theres so much activity at night or maybe its all concentrated in that small window of light ,whatever it is I mustve slowed right down that night because we certainly didn't cover much ground haha.
Congrats on winning the photo comp, that was a good pic
Steelo

Postby Ulsterkiwi » Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:29 pm

cheers! was very chuffed to win.
Delighted you enjoyed the night dive, once you get into the groove with them they are loads of fun.
Ulsterkiwi

Return to Trip Reports and Dive Logs