Karewa Is night dive 30/6/13

Tell us about your latest adventure here!

Karewa Is night dive 30/6/13

Postby Steelo » Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:04 pm

Had a night dive at karewa fri night after work, anchored in 25m on the sand at the edge of the reef se of the "sharks teeth". Heaps of fish life but we only saw a few crays, 1 big girl in berry and couple of small guys, they were well back in there holes too, I was expecting them to be more active, we got in the water just on dusk maybe we were a bit early? Was my buddys first night dive and my first since AOW back in 94. I bought a big torch off trade me last year and this was the first time ive got to try it out properly,its a uk600r it went well happy as, it seems quite buoyant tho is that normal?
Water temp was 13.6 and I was a bit dubious as this is coldest ive dived in new suit, pinnacle elite 1 piece merino lined 7/5mm with separate hood,so I put a thermal top on underneath and it was fine, toasty as!
Great vis about 10m
We will definitely be doing more night dives in future :P
Steelo

Re: Karewa Is night dive 30/6/13

Postby Steelo » Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:05 pm

Whoops posted twice
Steelo

Postby SusanCalvin » Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:58 pm

Hi, just want to add compliments on your dive exoerience with your buddies. Actually I am also planning to make that diving with my friends. We just need more preparation for that. I am happy that you have posted the report and it will give us hint on our upcoming dive. Kudos!!!
SusanCalvin

Postby divepirate » Fri Aug 02, 2013 3:34 pm

Awesome report, I have seen Crays doing both the dusk run and also being out in the darker night. The only thing with the dusk is that thy are a little more skittish.

It seems when it is totally dark they are a little bit more like 'possums in headlights' when you shine the light on them, in the early evening at the change of light, they do tend to 'back off' at any small changes in light.
This happens during the day when there is a lot of suspended sediment as well, the bugs take the flash of light from a torch down a hole, as some for of asssult.
Matt.
Forum Administrator.

I cant think of anything more relaxing, than being in the downunder, breathing some nice clean fresh filtered 21% nitrox.
divepirate
Forum Administrator

Postby Steelo » Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:50 pm

divepirate wrote:Awesome report, I have seen Crays doing both the dusk run and also being out in the darker night. The only thing with the dusk is that thy are a little more skittish.

It seems when it is totally dark they are a little bit more like 'possums in headlights' when you shine the light on them, in the early evening at the change of light, they do tend to 'back off' at any small changes in light.
This happens during the day when there is a lot of suspended sediment as well, the bugs take the flash of light from a torch down a hole, as some for of asssult.

Yeah for sure just posted another report about my latest night dive where I noticed even more different behaviour, a couple of bugs seemed to come out to check out the light!
Steelo

Return to Trip Reports and Dive Logs