F69 HMNZS Wellington....after the storm

Tell us about your latest adventure here!

F69 HMNZS Wellington....after the storm

Postby Ulsterkiwi » Sun Jul 07, 2013 8:44 pm

Was back in the water yesterday for first time in months. Between travel, work and other stuff I was at serious risk of drying out completely. After the big storm here in Wellington a couple of weeks ago I was very keen to head out on the Dive Wellington charter to have a look at the F69. The last really big storm is the one which broke the wreck into three pieces so we feared the worst.
Dave Drane knows his way around out there and we dropped right onto the bridge section. Much to my surprise it was pretty much as it was on my last visit except there was a LOT less plant life growing on the metal and most of the small animal and fish life was no longer there. No cray, very few triplefins, tarakihi, and the other usual suspects. My personal favourites the nudibranchs were nowhere to be found. It was a poor day up top so light wasnt great and the weather hasnt been that sweet since the storm went away so the viz wasnt flash making photography challenging. The relatively large blue moki and blue cod that were around werent in the mood for posing so I was glad to find a sea perch who was only a wee bit skittish. We managed to have a swim through most of the intact sections left of the bridge section and even the inside has lost a lot of its ertwhile covering of weed and sponges. After squeezing as much no stop time as we could we headed for the surface and a welcome cup of hot soup.
After the interval Dave dropped us on the bow section, again spot on. From the anchor chain at the prow right back to just aft of the gun turret was again pretty much as I have ever seen it. A bit less weed and the usual huge packs of crayfish were nowhere to be seen. After swimming the length and inspecting the barrels we went to south facing side of the wreckage to find it was all but sandblasted back down to the metal along the entire length of this part of the wreck. Bottom time was running out but plenty of gas left so we ascended to the shallowest part of the wreck several metres above us to get the most out of the dive. Another careful scan for nudis, cray or anything other than the moki and I found one very beautiful anenome, my buddy patiently waited while I got a few frames of it.
Time was up so we ascended to do our safety stop. After four months without a dive I was chuffed that my stop was relaxed and easy, not up to GUE standards I am sure but I was able to review the images I had captured waiting for my computer to count down.
Back on the surface it was only past midday but was already getting dark as the weather closed in. We swapped stories on the short run in and discussed our pleasure that the F69 was still in good shape over a quick sausage from BBQ at the shop before lunch and a great coffee at the Bach cafe next door. Looking forward to cleaner water and another visit to the wreck very soon.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ulsterkiwi

Re: F69 HMNZS Wellington....after the storm

Postby AndrewRawlingson » Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:09 pm

Good TR. love the cod!
AndrewRawlingson

Postby somethin fishy » Mon Jul 08, 2013 6:19 pm

Do you know if anbody has dived the Yung Penn yet post storm? Intrested in how that feared!
Andy Stewart
somethin fishy

Postby Ulsterkiwi » Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:00 pm

I know Simon was out on the Yung Penn with an Advanced course Andy, that was on Saturday but I havent been chatting to him since. If the F69 is ok I would put money that the Penn hasn't changed too much, it is well wedged in there. Wonder if the boiler will be any easier to find now?
Ulsterkiwi

Postby Ulsterkiwi » Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:21 pm

Was really stoked when this appeared in the Dominion Post/Stuff news site :-)

http://www.stuff.co.nz/dominion-post/ne ... s-up-wreck
Ulsterkiwi

Postby Ali Perkins » Wed Aug 14, 2013 1:56 am

Nice. I hope you got paid.
To view the underwater photography of Alison Perkins from InspiredToDive.com - visit http://www.inspiredtodive.com
Ali Perkins
U/W Photographic genius

Postby Ulsterkiwi » Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:19 am

yeah right......
Ulsterkiwi

Postby Ali Perkins » Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:40 pm

They're a for-profit business. Why did you give up your footage for free? Just curious.
To view the underwater photography of Alison Perkins from InspiredToDive.com - visit http://www.inspiredtodive.com
Ali Perkins
U/W Photographic genius

Postby Ulsterkiwi » Sat Aug 17, 2013 9:10 pm

I guess because I didn't realise they would pay, nor would I consider it good enough footage to justify payment. That and the fact I had posted it on youtube so that puts it in the public domain. I did get a credit which is something, the annoying thing was they had to be reminded to do so.
Some of my stills on the other hand......
Ulsterkiwi

Postby Ali Perkins » Sun Aug 18, 2013 10:26 am

You may not think it's good enough footage to be worth anything but it obviously is otherwise they wouldn't have used it. They won't pay if people are willing to give them footage/photos for free!
Ali Perkins
U/W Photographic genius

Postby Ulsterkiwi » Sun Aug 18, 2013 10:36 am

fair point, next time I guess ;-)
Ulsterkiwi

Postby divepirate » Sun Aug 18, 2013 6:14 pm

Hindsight is 20/20 ...
Matt.
Forum Administrator.

I cant think of anything more relaxing, than being in the downunder, breathing some nice clean fresh filtered 21% nitrox.
divepirate
Forum Administrator

Return to Trip Reports and Dive Logs