Aldermen Islands, 3/11

Tell us about your latest adventure here!

Aldermen Islands, 3/11

Postby Phantom Menace » Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:49 am

I had a day out free-diving and spearfishing at the Aldermens yesterday with a couple of mates. Water was still a coolish 16 degrees at the surface. Vis from 7 - 14m.

It was a good day out but spots were not firing as well as we had hoped based on earlier trips. Very few pink maomao round, no kingfish seen, no terakihi in the usual spots. I had one very pretty swim with loads of blue maomao, sweep etc. It was also a bit of fun hanging in the weed at the edge of the islands shadow watching schools of snapper cruise past out in the light.

Notable thing for me was: 3 separate spots, 3 seals, 2 that tried to steal my fish, 1 that succeeded in stealing a snapper.

Also, the "Double your depth" training with the Auckland Free-diving Club is already making a difference. I felt comfortable doing 1m 30 sec free-dives to 18m - sitting on the sand and waiting for terakihi to come in (which they didn't!)
Phantom Menace

Re: Aldermen Islands, 3/11

Postby divepirate » Wed Nov 06, 2013 2:12 pm

great report,
I love the avatar...
Matt.
Forum Administrator.

I cant think of anything more relaxing, than being in the downunder, breathing some nice clean fresh filtered 21% nitrox.
divepirate
Forum Administrator

Re: Aldermen Islands, 3/11

Postby Phantom Menace » Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:23 pm

The avatar is a pic of me from the islands at the end of Karikari peninsula a couple of years ago. Taken by a friend on a single breath (Canon 5D Mk II in a full-on uw housing - I have a high res pic I will frame and hang on the wall one day). The seal turned up so the two of us kept it occupied while the third of our group swam off to try and get some snapper.
Phantom Menace

Return to Trip Reports and Dive Logs