Bay of Islands and Canterbury 12/13 April

Tell us about your latest adventure here!

Bay of Islands and Canterbury 12/13 April

Postby Phantom Menace » Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:03 am

Drove up to Rawhiti on Friday. Three boats and 12 free divers (mostly spearos). Speared round Urupukapuka Is. early Saturday morning with vis in the 8 - 10m range (mostly 8) then rendezvoused with the other boats over the Canterbury around 10:15 or so. We spent a couple of hours on the Canterbury and having lunch - great vis. The video is a 4 minute summary of my dives.
http://youtu.be/2U9AUxT0hz0

Then it was off to Cape Brett for even better vis - 20m or so. Sunday saw us venture across to Nine Pin and then Black Rocks before returning to clean up and head home. Vis at Nine Pin was in the 6m max range.
Phantom Menace

Re: Bay of Islands and Canterbury 12/13 April

Postby divepirate » Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:33 pm

very cool,
I always like to see underwater video, and its always nice to see the depths that freedivers go to..
Matt.
Forum Administrator.

I cant think of anything more relaxing, than being in the downunder, breathing some nice clean fresh filtered 21% nitrox.
divepirate
Forum Administrator

Postby Phantom Menace » Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:05 pm

We had a range of capabilities on the trip. 4 capable of 40m or more, a group in the 20 - 25m range and others round the 15m range. Everyone had a good time - the great visibility helped with this.

We also shot a few fish - a couple of kingfish, some pink mao mao, some snapper, trevelly, butterfish and kahawai (and collected a few crayfish). It was nice dropping down to a ledge at 25m (Piercy Is.) and looking at the fish streaming past (as well as shooting some for dinner etc. )
Phantom Menace

Postby diveforlife » Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:48 pm

What device did you use to capture your dive in video? I must say, you know your music man. Good choice on the background track.
The world's best and most trusted discount scuba equipment retailer.
diveforlife

Postby Phantom Menace » Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:48 pm

That was filmed with a GoPro Hero 3+ Silver on a headmount. No filters or lights ... MY first attempt at filmng underwater.
Phantom Menace

Postby diveforlife » Wed Aug 06, 2014 1:56 pm

Phantom Menace wrote:That was filmed with a GoPro Hero 3+ Silver on a headmount. No filters or lights ... MY first attempt at filmng underwater.

Your first attempt? Doesn't look like it was your first. How much was your Silver GoPro Hero3+ when you bought it? I'm planning to buy one for myself but I'm leaning more on the black edition.
diveforlife

Postby Phantom Menace » Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:04 pm

Yep, that was my first attempt at filming pretty much anything but it wasn't my first attempt at freediving the Canterbury (although it was my first visit to the sand next to the Canterbury on a single breath).

I got the Silver 3+ from Ocean Hunter - here: http://www.oceanhunter.co.nz/shop/Brands/GoPro/GOPRO+HERO3+Silver+Edition+Camera.html

Mike (who owns Ocean Hunter) provides a bit of a discount to the free dive club I belong to which brought the price down to being on par with what I could get it for from TradeMe so it was a no-brainer to buy it from a shop where I know the staff, owner etc. and they have provided great service to me over the last few years.
Phantom Menace

Postby diveforlife » Mon Aug 11, 2014 3:46 pm

Phantom Menace wrote:Yep, that was my first attempt at filming pretty much anything but it wasn't my first attempt at freediving the Canterbury (although it was my first visit to the sand next to the Canterbury on a single breath).

I got the Silver 3+ from Ocean Hunter - here: http://www.oceanhunter.co.nz/shop/Brands/GoPro/GOPRO+HERO3+Silver+Edition+Camera.html

Mike (who owns Ocean Hunter) provides a bit of a discount to the free dive club I belong to which brought the price down to being on par with what I could get it for from TradeMe so it was a no-brainer to buy it from a shop where I know the staff, owner etc. and they have provided great service to me over the last few years.

For a first attempt, I must say that your vid looks awesome man. Yeah, nothing beats buying from the shop that not only provides top notch service but also is managed and ran by people that you know. Thanks for the link, will be checking it out.
diveforlife

Return to Trip Reports and Dive Logs