Open Water Training, A Poll For Non Dive Professionals.

To discuss recreational diving, training, standards and continuing education.

Do you feel that your Open water Course adequately prepared you to go out and dive, in conditions similar to where your training was conducted, with another recent graduate?

Yes of course
4%
yes
42%
I want to say yes, but...
25%
I thought so until I undertook further training
13%
I don't know
No votes
No
13%
Not at all.
No votes
The course is seriously lacking and needs to be overhauled
4%

Total votes : 24

Open Water Training, A Poll For Non Dive Professionals.

Postby Azza » Fri Jan 26, 2007 8:13 am

This poll is for Non Dive Professionals. Dive professionals please have your vote in the Dive Professionals Poll here;
http://www.scubadive.net.nz/bb/viewtopic.php?t=125

So Non Dive professionals.

Do you feel that your Open water Course adequately prepared you to go out and dive, in conditions similar to where your training was conducted, with another recent graduate?
Azza

Postby JACK ON THE ROCKS » Sat Feb 03, 2007 1:42 pm

I wanna say yes.... but....

Even with only four on the course, you feel like a sausage factory being churned through.

Its only after spending time in the water that I really felt comfortable, and only when I hit 20 odd dives that I really felt comfortable, especially with my breathing and air consumption.

A good tutor is everything, which is why I want to do my AOW for a little more tweaking and training!!!!
"SPIDER PIG, SPIDER PIG, DOES WHATEVER A SPIDER PIG DOES" Homer J Simpson
JACK ON THE ROCKS

Postby DiveDiva » Sat Feb 03, 2007 3:10 pm

JACK ON THE ROCKS, did you do your OW in NZ??

DD
DiveDiva
Forum Administrator
DiveDiva
Forum Administrator

Postby JACK ON THE ROCKS » Sat Feb 03, 2007 3:19 pm

Yep sure did, did in in Auckland. I won't name the place....

It certainly wasn't a bad course and i learnt heaps, but to me, diving is about having a good time, and if your not enjoying it you won't stick at it.

I no of the four of us, most were unhappy with the training.
JACK ON THE ROCKS

Postby JACK ON THE ROCKS » Sat Feb 03, 2007 3:24 pm

While I expect to be taught heaps and training involves being talked at alot. At 24 yrs old you don't expect to be treated like a 5 yr old, and being told off!!!! Although was a great joke between the students....
JACK ON THE ROCKS

Postby DiveDiva » Sat Feb 03, 2007 3:31 pm

My open water course in England was rubbish! There were four of us and two dropped out, leaving me and my buddy-to-be.

We were rushed through the pool / classroom modules and then dumped in a lake at the start of winter in a two-piece 5mm wetsuit (just loved looking at my instructor strutting his stuff in his drysuit).

Also, they didn't have a BCD to fit me so I wore a 'BubbleMaker' ehich was too tight or a Medium, which they had to cross over the straps in order to keep it from floating over my head.

I could go on and on...but I won't :wink:

Thank goodness I got to do my Divemaster somewhere else - that course taught me heaps and the facility, Cornish Diving, was superb :D

DD
DiveDiva
Forum Administrator
DiveDiva
Forum Administrator

Postby JACK ON THE ROCKS » Sat Feb 03, 2007 3:35 pm

Wow that sounds even worse, maybe we need a open water dive forum where people can vent and pass yarns on bad training experiences.

I imagine all you instructors out there would have great stories of useless people doing their open water as well!!!!

I think I might have to talk ot Azza about doing my advanced through him. Lots of free time on my hands!!!
JACK ON THE ROCKS

Postby wibbleman » Sat May 26, 2007 9:19 pm

I voted of course.

And I have dived since and am obviously not dead :twisted:

But seriously, did the open water out at the poor knights, and i latched onto the DM and acted like a sponge for all his tips and hints etc. And since then dive frequently with the IDC from the shop.

But am I am of the type of personality that "geeks" out on things. So I might not be representational of the general diving public.

Laters,

Brodie
wibbleman

Postby Darren » Wed Jun 06, 2007 5:29 pm

another 'yes .... but'

I feel safe and comfortable with my own ability to go out and dive since completing the course, but then at the same time i had done a little diving pre-open water course and my dive buddies include a commercial diver and a padi instructor.
Funny enough this same topic was bought up in conversation between me and my mates last weekend where i came up with the analogy that 'your only trained to the level as the biggest numpty to pass your course'
I thought it was pretty harsh at the time, but otherwise fair and my mates seemed to agree with it, if the pass mark is only 60% or so then you only have to be 60% safe.
Darren

Postby Andy » Wed Jun 06, 2007 6:40 pm

Darren wrote:I thought it was pretty harsh at the time, but otherwise fair and my mates seemed to agree with it, if the pass mark is only 60% or so then you only have to be 60% safe.

To be fair, the pass mark for a PADI course is 100% mastery. It's just that instructors interpret otehr standards as you only need to get 75% in the exam to pass.
Andy
Serial Poster

Postby alijtaylor » Wed Jun 06, 2007 9:59 pm

My PADI remninded me of 7th form physics and my introductory course to my very first job - I am a good swat and could breeze thru the theory and demonstrate skills on demand, but having all of it in my head for practical application was another matter. .

I was fortunate that the course I did included 6 'free hire' club dives with the club attached to the LDS who ran the OW course, and it was on those that a couple of key practical connections were made for me.

I wouldn't criticise the course content so much as suggest that subsequent dives under supervision of a more experienced mentor are key to having those things ingrained - and maybe ought to be part of the basic requirement. You don't need another course (e.g. AOW) you need a chance to dive with more experienced people who will point out what you are doing wrong, or what you need to do to improve and gain confidence.

Alison
alijtaylor

Postby powley » Wed Jun 06, 2007 10:14 pm

alijtaylor wrote:My PADI remninded me of 7th form physics and my introductory course to my very first job - I am a good swat and could breeze thru the theory and demonstrate skills on demand, but having all of it in my head for practical application was another matter. .

I was fortunate that the course I did included 6 'free hire' club dives with the club attached to the LDS who ran the OW course, and it was on those that a couple of key practical connections were made for me.

I wouldn't criticise the course content so much as suggest that subsequent dives under supervision of a more experienced mentor are key to having those things ingrained - and maybe ought to be part of the basic requirement. You don't need another course (e.g. AOW) you need a chance to dive with more experienced people who will point out what you are doing wrong, or what you need to do to improve and gain confidence. Alison

Im with you there Ali, hopefully sods will be able to help newbies with ingraining good habits and skills and keeping new divers diving
death can be fatal
powley

Postby Azza » Wed Jun 06, 2007 10:34 pm

alijtaylor wrote:I was fortunate that the course I did included 6 'free hire' club dives with the club attached to the LDS who ran the OW course, and it was on those that a couple of key practical connections were made for me.
I have to say that Tim really impressed me with that...
Azza

Postby alijtaylor » Wed Jun 06, 2007 10:40 pm

powley wrote:Im with you there Ali, hopefully sods will be able to help newbies with ingraining good habits and skills and keeping new divers diving

I agree the SoDs concept is the dive club ethos which is valuable. I am happy to dive with new divers because others did it with me - and it is great when they have a good time, and maybe learn or reinforce something.

Alison
alijtaylor

Postby Martin-PK Divers » Thu Jun 07, 2007 11:03 am

There's nothing better than surfacing with a less experienced diver than you and having them rave about the dive. Or having perfected a skill with your mentor and being told that you've cracked it. :)
Martin-PK Divers

Next

Return to Recreational