Nitrox TDI vs PADI Nitrox

To discuss recreational diving, training, standards and continuing education.

Nitrox TDI vs PADI Nitrox

Postby Milky » Fri Oct 26, 2007 1:49 pm

I always wanted to do nitrox training. which is better TDI basic Nitrox or PADI one? I heard that the TDI doesn't require any dives

thanks.
Alive to Dive
Milky

Postby Azza » Fri Oct 26, 2007 2:09 pm

Much of a muchness really...both agencies no longer require dives..

In fact from memory, the TDI nitrox course has simplified the mathematics...i.e. daltons triangle
Azza

Postby Packhorse » Fri Oct 26, 2007 2:15 pm

Its not the agency that you have to worry about its the instructor.

Read this link....

http://www.gasdiving.co.uk/pages/misc/Nitrox.htm

If you can understand it all then go for the cheapest class you can because I doubt you will learn anything more.

If you dont understand any of it post your questions here then go find the cheapest class you can. At least then you will know what questions to ask the instructor.

I dont see any need to perform the dives to pass the course unless the instructor is going to help you with some other skills like bouyancy and trim.
Packhorse

Postby Milky » Fri Oct 26, 2007 2:32 pm

i know few divers that just dives using nitroz wihtout proper planning only being supervised by a DM.
Alive to Dive
Milky

Postby Milky » Fri Oct 26, 2007 2:36 pm

if i were naughty, can i get away just use nitrox tanks and rely on Divecomp that has been set-up for nitrox? this way the comp will tell us when we should ascent, i think. Does it work this simple? or we still need to know manually the max bottom time at certain depth if we use nitrox cause the divecomp will only tell us when and at what safety stop we need to do.

thx
Alive to Dive
Milky

Postby Andy » Fri Oct 26, 2007 2:41 pm

Packhorse wrote:I dont see any need to perform the dives to pass the course unless the instructor is going to help you with some other skills like bouyancy and trim.

I have to disagree on that one.... I won't certify EANx without dives as I want to make sure that the person:

1. Has some degree of situational awareness. Being aware of where you are in relation to you MOD is a huge thing! You need to know where you are before your computer starts beeping to tell you that your ppO2 is too high.

2. Can properly plan a dive taking into account O2 exposure. Most recreational EANx divers don't track their O2 exposure well, and whilst the risk of pulmonary O2 toxcicity is low in recereational diving that doesn't mean you can ignore it.

It's one thing to show in a class that you can track O2 exposure, but I want to make sure that people do actually do it. Maybe I'm just uptight, but I think the dives have real value.
Andy
Serial Poster

Postby Andy » Fri Oct 26, 2007 2:51 pm

sunkarm wrote:if i were naughty, can i get away just use nitrox tanks and rely on Divecomp that has been set-up for nitrox? this way the comp will tell us when we should ascent, i think. Does it work this simple? or we still need to know manually the max bottom time at certain depth if we use nitrox cause the divecomp will only tell us when and at what safety stop we need to do.

You need to understand the concepts, not just blindly follow a computer.

You need to know what CNS oxygen toxicity is, and how to avoid it. You need to know what Pulmonary oxygen toxicity is and how to avoid it. You need to know how to choose an appropriate mix for your dive.

You need to know how to work out both your maximum and contigency depths are. You need to understand how your body is likely to react to higher partial pressures of O2. You need to make a choice about what ppO2 is acceptable to you - for example, most recreational agencies suggest a ppO2 of 1.4 ATM is normally. Personally, having looked into it, I dive a ppO2 of 1.2 ATM as I just don't like pushing my limits.

So no, I wouldn't suggest just setting a computer and trusting it to work and tell you what to do. It scares me to think that you would even consider it.
Andy
Serial Poster

Postby Packhorse » Fri Oct 26, 2007 3:02 pm

Andy wrote:
I have to disagree on that one.... I won't certify EANx without dives ....

Sadly not all instructors are as thorough as you Andy.
When I did my EAN course (along with Space Kat) the instructor made us do the dives. But they did not dive with us so had no idea if we exceeded our MOD except for the fact we dived in water too shallow to exceed the MOD any way. So in that case (which I doubt is an isolated one) doing the dives is just a waste of time.
Packhorse

Postby Andy » Fri Oct 26, 2007 3:10 pm

Packhorse wrote:Sadly not all instructors are as thorough as you Andy.

I know.... :(

When I did my EAN course (along with Space Kat) the instructor made us do the dives. But they did not dive with us so had no idea if we exceeded our MOD except for the fact we dived in water too shallow to exceed the MOD any way. So in that case (which I doubt is an isolated one) doing the dives is just a waste of time.

It's actually quite common, and sad. But as with many things it's really the fact that many instructors really don't understand the concepts of what they're pimping out.

I normally throw a few curve balls at my students - so quite often I'll dive a different mix than them, which complicates the dive planning as you need to accomodate different MODs and NDLs. The fact that I'm running a ppO2 of 1.3 also confuses those who don't ask about it in our dive planning. It makes things more interesting, and also helps reinforce understanding of the concepts.
Andy
Serial Poster

Return to Recreational