OW - Split from Specialties/PPB

To discuss recreational diving, training, standards and continuing education.

OW - Split from Specialties/PPB

Postby Azza » Mon Apr 28, 2008 11:58 am

Andy wrote:The problem comes in practical implementation. Every course is different, ever student diver is different and there are always different constraints.

Oh I agree and to be fair PADI have to be applauded for catering to different learning styles. From memory the 3 main learning styles are auditory (class lectures), visual (the DVD’s, take home manuals, E-Learning and demonstrations in the pool) and Kinesthetic (student doing the skills in the pool).
I think it is nearly impossible for all students on a 12 student OW course to come away with much at all apart from a vague idea of how a skill should be done (Let alone actually getting diving in as opposed to spending their whole time kneeling on the bottom waiting for their chance to demonstrate their “mastery” (and I use that term loosely) of a skill) but by reducing the class sizes and having an assistant the instructor can spend more one on one time with students that have different needs.

Andy wrote:In an ideal world, every instructor would spend more time in the pool and so on, and every student would leave OW confident with the ability to demonstrate all skills whilst neutral etc. However, for most of my courses I am happy if a student is comfortable with their mask off, can share air effectively, can recover a reg whilst neutral and can maintain a given depth.

From what I have seen too many are not even comfortable with these basic skills.

Andy wrote:but my take on it is that training is hugely undervalued, and the time it would take to acheive the "perfect" OW graduate is not practical for what the NZ market is wanting to pay. It doesn't help when you get dive centres that are charging $299 for an OW course - who then is going to pay $1000? The more training gets devalued, the harder it's going to be to produce good, safe divers.

Agreed. I think a lot of people forget that the dive industry actually adjusted to its market wants and needs than the other way around however it doesn’t make it right.
I also don’t think we need a “perfect” OW graduate rather one who is a little more prepared for the underwater world and the basic skills needed to tour it.

Andy wrote:GUE are intending to release their OW programme in November this year, I beleive. It's a 15 dive OW course and probably will set the standard for most comprehensive OW course around.... but how many people are going to pay $2000 for it?

Probably not many while shops are still selling “pump ‘em through” $299 courses.

Andy wrote:There should be a GUE instructor training in Australasia by the end of the year if you wanted to become a GUE instructor, Azza!!

No thanks. I have enough trouble finding time to teach PADI courses plus I don’t agree with the rigidity of GUE enough to teach it. I do however applaud them for their commitment to raising the bar and their forward thinking.

I guess the other concern is to find students that actually want to learn rather than buy a card.

Att the end of the day tho I do enjoy teaching the PPB specialty. It is a great course, just a shame it's needed
Azza

Re: OW - Split from Specialties/PPB

Postby Andy » Mon Apr 28, 2008 12:18 pm

Azza wrote:I think it is nearly impossible for all students on a 12 student OW course to come away with much at all apart from a vague idea of how a skill should be done (Let alone actually getting diving in as opposed to spending their whole time kneeling on the bottom waiting for their chance to demonstrate their “mastery” (and I use that term loosely) of a skill) but by reducing the class sizes and having an assistant the instructor can spend more one on one time with students that have different needs.

Agreed. I wouldn't dream of teaching a course of 12 in the tropics, let alone NZ. I will do 6 in CW if I have a good DM that I know and trust, but still prefer doing 4. I won't take 6 in OW, 4 is my preferred limit - though 5 is a bu&&er, as it's difficult to justify splitting the group (in summer at least) but I still kinda feel like I should.

From what I have seen too many are not even comfortable with these basic skills.

Again, agreed.... but we're kinda preaching to the converted here as I think you and I have some overlap in view and training philosophy.

I did my IDC Staff Instructor course last year, and it was quite eye opening to sit through an IDC again. It's amazing how much there is in the course that is essentially saying "there's no one way of doing things, think about how you teach, think about what you teach and think about your students". I didn't remember any of this from my first IDC until sitting through it again... and then going , oh yeah I remember that now.

One thing I do like about GUE is that every instructor needs to re-qualify evefr three years. I think there's a lot of value in PADI instructors team teaching a course every now and again, and getting some peer feedback. I enjoy team teaching with both new and experienced instructors, always learn something when doing so and hopefully pass on some knowledge and tips to those I teach with.

Andy wrote:There should be a GUE instructor training in Australasia by the end of the year if you wanted to become a GUE instructor, Azza!!
Azza wrote:No thanks. I have enough trouble finding time to teach PADI courses plus I don’t agree with the rigidity of GUE enough to teach it. I do however applaud them for their commitment to raising the bar and their forward thinking.

I was joking!

Att the end of the day tho I do enjoy teaching the PPB specialty. It is a great course, just a shame it's needed

The thing I like about it is that you can offer something to everyone... if someone has done loads of dives, has pretty good buoyancy and trim etc, I still reckon I could push them a bit on a PPB course, and make it fun as well.
Andy
Serial Poster

Return to Recreational