dive certification

To discuss recreational diving, training, standards and continuing education.

dive certification

Postby Milky » Mon Apr 28, 2008 4:23 pm

When i was diving in indonesia, there were so many international divers from different countries. Lots of them have different dive certification from their own country's dive organization. I believe japan and Korea have their own.

Now, what happens if a diver who received a legit dive certifcations but it is not recognize worldwide cause it may not be PADI,SSI, Naui,etc? Would the dive centre here in NZ (who are strict with certification) wouldn't allow them to join their dive trips just because they don't have an international dive certificate?

interesting to know.
Alive to Dive
Milky

Re: dive certification

Postby Andy » Mon Apr 28, 2008 4:34 pm

It really would depend on how fringe the certification was.... I would guess anything that's recognisable wouldn't cause any problems.... PADI, SDI, SSI, YMCA, NAUI, BSAC, CMAS, SSAC are probably the main agencies I would recognise.

It's times like this where a log book really pays dividends - even though there's no guarentee with a log book, it does give you an idea of the type of diving that the person has done. A dodgy looking certification card, and some proof of diving experience would let you make a holistic judgement on whether you would let someone dive off your boat.
Andy
Serial Poster

Re: dive certification

Postby Milky » Mon Apr 28, 2008 5:18 pm

it has been awhile i have not logged my book manually. normally i just download them onto my computer.
Alive to Dive
Milky

Return to Recreational