nitrox course PADI or TDI?

To discuss recreational diving, training, standards and continuing education.

nitrox course PADI or TDI?

Postby Milky » Wed Jul 23, 2008 1:10 am

i wanna do a nitrox course. which is bette PADI or TDI. Secondly, if i did my basic nitrox course with PADI or similar organization, can i pursued later on to take advance Nitrox course through TDI?

Thx
Alive to Dive
Milky

Re: nitrox course PADI or TDI?

Postby Andy » Wed Jul 23, 2008 11:33 am

There's virtually no difference in the courses, to be honest.

What it boils down to is the individual instructor - I've seen some pretty bad instructors from both agencies who teach just the basics, and even that being done badly.

On the other hand, I've seen some very good instructors from both agencies.

What do you actually want to get from your nitrox course? The PADI course, and pretty much all recreational nitrox courses, are recognised by TDI as pre-requisite for Advanced Nitrox. If this is the route you want to go, pick an instructor who actually understands nitrox - not someone who reads the answers from the book.
Andy
Serial Poster

Postby Michelle » Thu Jul 24, 2008 12:05 am

To reinforce Andy's remark re instructors. I did the TDI Nitrox course the last week with a well known instructor about whom I had heard great things with regard to his ability as teacher, and I got a ten minute walk through of the filling and checking proceedures and was handed a text book and exam and told to post the exam back when I had read the book. Shortly after the history of Nitrox diving I started losing the plot completely and realised that it didn't matter how many times I read and re-read the same page of the text book, it wasn't going to make sense.
I've just got back from an evening listening to someone actually teach the same material, and it all fell into place.
The first course did include two great dives and nitrox fills, so it wasn't a complete waste, but certainly not value for money, and not a positive learning experience.
Michelle

Postby Andy » Thu Jul 24, 2008 12:51 am

Mum wrote:To reinforce Andy's remark re instructors. I did the TDI Nitrox course the last week with a well known instructor about whom I had heard great things with regard to his ability as teacher, and I got a ten minute walk through of the filling and checking proceedures and was handed a text book and exam and told to post the exam back when I had read the book. Shortly after the history of Nitrox diving I started losing the plot completely and realised that it didn't matter how many times I read and re-read the same page of the text book, it wasn't going to make sense.
I've just got back from an evening listening to someone actually teach the same material, and it all fell into place.
The first course did include two great dives and nitrox fills, so it wasn't a complete waste, but certainly not value for money, and not a positive learning experience.

That really sucks. It bugs me when people don't take time to actually teach - reading the book just isn't the same, but I'm glad that there was a positive end to your learning experience.

If there's anything you're still not clear on, Mum, please let me know as I'm more than happy to make up for the shortcomings of some of my fellow instructors.
Andy
Serial Poster

Return to Recreational