Torch Signals on Night Dives

To discuss recreational diving, training, standards and continuing education.

Re: Torch Signals on Night Dives

Postby Andy » Wed Sep 24, 2008 1:06 pm

Turning off = I'm fed up diving with you and want to hide!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I guess that there aren't that many, really? Apart from circles and up/down side/side what else can you do with the torch?

Speed may be something to consider. For me, a slow side-to-side is 'attention' whilst a frenzied side-to-side is 'faaaaaaaaark!'
Andy
Serial Poster

Postby Scuba Sam » Wed Sep 24, 2008 2:18 pm

For newbie night divers I usually remind them to shine the torch on their hand when they signal ok!! Also boatman needs to know that we are not trying to show them our dandruff if we suddenly point the torch to a patch of scalp. Too long since I did a night dive...
Scuba Sam

Postby Andy » Wed Sep 24, 2008 2:31 pm

I guess a triangle could work, but not sure if it's complicating the issue? Torch signals need to be clear and unambiguous - I''d probably ttry to get someone's attention first then use hand signals to make sure that they knew for sure that we were turning for home.
Andy
Serial Poster

Postby Scuba Sam » Thu Sep 25, 2008 1:07 am

Axe wrote:Maybe a clicker... that could work... audio signals could get a bunch of people (we normally bunch dive nights) at once and save the swim to each person...

Good luck with that - most of my dive buddies seem deaf under the water, and can't even hear when I shout - perhaps that's coz they all wear hoods (I don't so reckon I hear way more). On the Canterbury earlier in the month one guy lost both his buddies so started banging on his tank. Made a huge racket to my ears, but neither of his buddies heard him at all. Lucky we knew where his buddies were...
Scuba Sam

Postby Jason » Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:35 pm

Too right about wearing a hoodie - does nullify the verberations considerably. Nothing like listening underwater, be it the sound of quiet when something menacing approaches, the sound of some dudes on Rebreathers having a laugh at your expense as they pass by and the sound of a dive buddy trying to sneak up behind to either peg you or hitch a free ride.
I know Traffic Controllers rely upon a 'Night Wand' and the motion for SLOW DOWN is a progression of Up to Down.
I enjoy Night Dives, especially when you have colourful light beams entering the water from above (street, work, shop lights) but I find the communication facet of a night dive frustrating. Indeed, if it isn't the minimal options of torch manouvers and the awkwardness and time consuming use of the slate then it is the price tag of a Full Face Mask Comms with the hope your Buddy(s) will have/use one.
Just drifting along with whatever is current.
Currently I'm reading : The Art of Innovation by Tom Kelley.
Jason

Return to Recreational