PADI Self Reliant Diver

To discuss recreational diving, training, standards and continuing education.

PADI Self Reliant Diver

Postby tara » Wed Jan 07, 2009 3:39 pm

sfish and I just finished the PADI Self Reliant Diver Distinct specialty. first females to be certified!

huge big thanks to Andy and a blog post and photos are on their way.
tara
Dive Mistress

Re: PADI Self Reliant Diver

Postby NEMES1S » Wed Jan 07, 2009 4:12 pm

Yeah its a great course, without an ounce of brown on my nose Andy is a fabulous instructor and the course was very cool.
The Lake was something that could make your browneye black and blue especially the ramp out.. :lol:
But hey I actually thought it was a good location to add a bit of environmental stress to the diving,ha ha..

I am coming along to the sessions that Andy is doing in Wellington for a bit of extra training,my pony bottle is always with me now...just part of the dive hardware.All 10 dives at the Knights I had it with me and for 90% of the dives there I deployed my SMB...which I am getting pretty sharp at.

NEMES1S
Moderator / NIGHTDIVERS99 Crew

Postby tara » Wed Jan 07, 2009 4:15 pm

come on nem - you gotta love the lake.
its 5mins from my house. i can dive it in the howling wind. today it was 24 degrees - we hit the thermocline at about 12 and it dropped to 20. burrrrrrrrrrr.

i have no problems with the pony bottle now and yup, i'm taking mine most of the time.
SMB deployment needs a little more work - especially when OOA. once i have my buoyancy sorted or i'm not task loaded, i can complete the safety stop in a horizontal hover so am pretty pleased with that. and both sfish and i got our mask removal and replacement depth variance to around 20cm. pretty happy with that!

sfish needs to do some navigation training so we are going to keep up the practice in the lake. why?
cos its there. and we can. and its warm.
tara
Dive Mistress

Postby tara » Wed Jan 07, 2009 4:17 pm

hmmm .. whats with all the finning on your SMB deployment??
Andy would be shaking his head .. all Zenmaster styles .. but shaking. hes threatening to tie my legs together.

apparently they are too used to being open :P
tara
Dive Mistress

Postby NEMES1S » Wed Jan 07, 2009 4:19 pm

diveChiq wrote:hmmm .. whats with all the finning on your SMB deployment??
Andy would be shaking his head .. all Zenmaster styles .. but shaking. hes threatening to tie my legs together.

apparently they are too used to being open :P

It doesnt look like it but we were getting dragged about a fair bit we should have pulled away from the reef to avoid the wash,but it was actually my first Ocean deployement and heres the second.

I have been told I am improving...so I am happy with that..

NEMES1S

Postby DiveDiva » Wed Jan 07, 2009 4:23 pm

Brilliant. Looking forward to the course at the weekend :D
DiveDiva
Forum Administrator
DiveDiva
Forum Administrator

Postby tara » Wed Jan 07, 2009 4:27 pm

you can see the water movement - i was just teasing.
and i watched the second and its much better!

practice, practice, practice. we're never going to be little Andys if we dont
tara
Dive Mistress

Postby NEMES1S » Wed Jan 07, 2009 4:38 pm

diveChiq wrote:you can see the water movement - i was just teasing.
and i watched the second and its much better!

practice, practice, practice. we're never going to be little Andys if we dont

Yeah definately practice...I am loving it though, its great just to hang there at 5-5.9m on your own little line and wait for the magic "ok" from the dive pc to surface,I have usually been doing at least 4min safety stops as everybodys pc's seem to vary.

Cant wait to try it in the pool...ha ha ha ha... :D
NEMES1S

Postby tara » Wed Jan 07, 2009 4:43 pm

we've talked about the course a bit so here are some pictures.
unfortunately nothing underwater yet
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
tara
Dive Mistress

Postby Andy » Wed Jan 07, 2009 7:38 pm

diveChiq wrote:practice, practice, practice. we're never going to be little Andys if we dont

Trust me, T.... you never want to be little me's, you'll have way more fun as your own person! :D

I'm glad you enjoyed the course, I guess what I always try and do with it is help people discover their current limitations, and try and give them ways to extend those a bit.
Andy
Serial Poster

Postby Andy » Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:46 pm

Axe wrote:
diveChiq wrote:ts the lake .. and you learn to love it

how?

Just dive it more! As a training site it's great, particularly for navigation skills and stuff that you don't need much in terms of topography or features. I know people who have had to teach naturalist courses in the lake - tough, but not impossible! There's actually loads of life in it, you just need to re-focus the eye and look for it. Saw a monster trout today, and a pre-dive cormorant was a little lost.

Next time you're passing through, Axe, we'll go for a dive over the other side of the lake. The water is always clearer, and there's more life.

On the SMB deployment, here's a really good example of how to do it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfcEcCoIvKs
Andy
Serial Poster

Postby NEMES1S » Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:28 pm

What the hell happens at 0:53 in the video it looks like a hand spasm or an electric shock!!.. :shock:

Thats Clare though she is a diving machine...top in the world DIR rankings...sheer awesomeness.. :D

heres a contrast:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFpsFFYdEEU&NR=1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Rn_83nePrg&NR=1

Guages swinging wildly...classic..

Just LOVE the music!! :D
NEMES1S

Postby sfish » Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:19 pm

Well I am usually the more quiet one on the forum......but I've just got to comment on this course....I just can not get over how good this was!
The last three days (and two nights) have been the most useful training days I have had in my diving career.

When I moved to New Zealand a few months back I had been diving with the same buddy for the last five years. To me we were the ideal buddy pair, having done our Open Water, Advanced Open water, Nitrox and a few other recreational diving courses together, having shared holidays and work trips in remote diving locations, diving laughs and of course and unfortunately diving incidents...

On occasions where I could not dive with my buddy I did a few recreational dives with the British Army....some solid buddies there as you can imagine! Dive instructors in the army can get court marshal if something goes wrong under their guidance even if they are just pleasure diving, so needless to say these dives were managed like army operations.

I knew it would not be that easy to find a new buddy. Moving in a new country is absolutely great fun but is also comes with a catalogue of trials and errors....and it's not just buying the wrong brand of washing product, it's everything, and as I found out even finding a buddy.
When I joined my dive club people barely knew me and I ended up being buddied up with buddy that well did not have any interest in being buddied up. This is when I started to think about my training again and what was available around me in order to compensate for the lack of buddy until such time I'd find a good one again.

I had heard of the self reliant training course but when I mentioned it to my dive club I was advised that it may be quite difficult to get it organised and they suggested I did my rescue diver instead. I was not to keen on doing that course, but agreed that it did make sense. I took the course a few months ago now. The trainer was brilliant and it was a really good course. However it did not actually give me what I was looking for at the time, or yet.

I decided to go for my Master Scuba Diver then, choosing specialties for dive I usually enjoy (Advanced deep, Advanced Wreck, Advanced navigation, Advanced Naturalist) hoping I will pick up some extra skills and therefore perhaps be more self reliant at these dives. These advanced courses are brilliant. I am 60% of the way through and really enjoying them.

I was still waiting to hear when I could join the next Self Reliant Diver and late December we confirmed for early January. I was sooooo looking forward to it. And as Andy knew I had very high expectations.....Andy did not disappoint....late December we met up for one evening and went through the theory. Whilst going through the theory we shared past experiences, discussed how we dealt or did not deal with them and it was good to reflect with Andy as a mentor, he asked some mind provoking question that had me reflecting on these past experiences for a few days. The learning was already in action :-).

We met up at the pool on Monday and spent hours practicing skills, time and time again, this was extremely worthwhile.

I came home on Monday late afternoon (so much for a couple of hours in the pool in the morning!) and had to catch up with work, but decided to check my answers to the knowledge review again (is it just me or does the calculator never find the same answer twice?)...Then more work....

The following morning we were meeting at the Lake, my first time in "The Lake", as per Tara's photo it was a very very nice day, and the lake felt like bath water. We did two dives and worked on set of skills time and time again, then combined the skills. Tried different gears, tried different set ups, and again had the great benefit of Andy's mentoring and experience all the way through.
We identified a few opportunities for improvement, discuss plans for the following day, then back to work...

Another very short night, having forgotten the knowledge review on my bed side for two nights in the row I hadn’t handed in yet and by 1.00am decided to do it for the third time. I just wanted to get a grip on all the calculations and formulaes so in the future I could perform the calculations pre-dive at seas and should I need it during the dive...

Back at the Lake for two more dives this morning, the first one we focused on skills, and as I have noted from the thread the comments on SMB deployment, I can tell you this was real fun. I did a fair bit of diving in Egypt (the only country in the world I believe where SMB are compulsory by law - too many people end up crushed under boats without them :-( ). And yet it's a skill easily forgotten if you don't practice it often. Plus I had a lot to live up to...after the fantastic 10 in PK with my new awesome buddy, Rob (Nemesis)
((see reports at viewtopic.php?f=142&t=2898))
over the Christmas period and his excellent SMB deployment (Full inflation, not going up and down, looking totally relaxed....he is a natural! - in fact the only people that had any concerns over the deployment were the Yukon crew when we forgot to mention that we always practice all sorts of skills on our dives and were going to practice the SMB deployment....we had them a little worried for a minute…or three…..Oups..).

As for the last dive of the training session.....you just got to do the course to find out how much fun it was...Plus we were encouraged to practice any skills in any way we liked, so at safety stop time, I decided to be out of air, with a broken mask, whilst deploying the SMB.....I just got to hope this never happen in a non simulated environment!

Last debrief and more opportunity for improvement identified. That's the beauty of the course. Finding out, what we know, what we don't know, what we are good at and less good at, and knowing the techniques to develop these skills further....

So what's next? Finishing my Advanced wreck at the week end (most of you heard that dive three was the "blind" aka "blindfolded" wreck navigation) I can't help to wonder what we will be doing next…
Then back at the Lake (whoo hoo!) for a week end of Advanced Navigation (let's see if Ned, Sally and Fred end up in the house or in the shed....man do you have any easier way to show people how to use compasses??)...long live natural navigation!

After that....time to stop training, and focus on practicing the skills whilst enjoying more diving, up North, in Wellington and abroad with my new found buddy...
"Blogging: Never before have so many people with so little to say said so much to so few."
sfish

Postby DiveDiva » Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:30 am

That must be one of the most inspiring posts ever to appear on this forum! Thank you for sharing your experience sfish - it sounds like it could even have been life changing! In my own experience, so many aspects can contribute to a good or bad diving experience and a significant one relates to self-confidence in the water, with equipment etc.

I can't wait to start the course tomorrow - I'm amped :mrgreen:
DiveDiva
Forum Administrator
DiveDiva
Forum Administrator

Postby Andy » Sat Jan 31, 2009 1:08 pm

For Alison T, sorry this has taken me so long..... but photos of how I normally attach an SMB to a standard BCD.

R8201718.JPG

I just put two loops of bungee through the plastic plate, and hold the SMB in the small of the back. It's actually quite easy to get hold of, but is also very unobstrusive.

The Scubapro BCDs have convenient slots in the plastic that make it easy to put the bungee through and create the loop by cable tying the two ends together.

R8201720.JPG

It would be fairly easy to modify your plastic plate to do this, jut be drilling a couple of holes in it. Hope this helps.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Andy
Serial Poster

Next

Return to Recreational