Pony Bottle configuration

To discuss recreational diving, training, standards and continuing education.

Re: Pony Bottle configuration

Postby ScubaDog » Mon Jun 08, 2009 6:48 am

ChuckyBob wrote:
ScubaDog wrote:I check the pressure before the dive and a bubble check at the start -

How do you do a bubble check when its mounted behind you?

Look Up

Also a small mirror is not a bad idea - esp for the very vain you can check valves / entanglement without difficulty
ScubaDog

Postby ChuckyBob » Mon Jun 08, 2009 5:24 pm

Problem with that is you need to carry another piece of equipment.
Also you can get air trapped in your hood that will slowly bubble out. This could be confused with a leaking pony or vice versa.
It could also develop a leak 5 seconds after you checked and you would have no way of knowing unless you continue to check through out the dive.

Where as if you sling it you can see both the 1st and 2nd stage at any time with ease.
Its also simple to unclip it and clip it back on if needed.
ChuckyBob

Postby ScubaDog » Tue Jun 09, 2009 4:26 am

Check and check again - it's no hardship, it's discipline. A hood leak and a bubble leak are a bit different. I have had a deco gas leak off the valve which I did not notice until it was time to switch and found not enough gas to deco on - thats why you have bail out back up tables. Lesson - Check and check again. That is the only time I have had that happen in 17 years of diving and have hardly ever heard it happening either.

Now real question is why do you dive??? Diving is supposed to be fun etc. So why the pony??? is it to make the dive safer or to look cool??? The more kit you add unnecessarily the more risk you add to the dive - Risk verses benefit. Does a pony actually increase your safety any more than good skills would. I think Andy might be the one to ask about that

I like the pony on the back (it looks cool) I like it turned on - one less thing to worry about - less task loading. (I used to have it upside down but changed to right side up after thinking I might damage the valve - which never happened - right side up also makes the hose routing easier - short hose bungeed around the neck, not around the tank or snaking up the front) and I like it not to have a gauge hose on it (1 less failure point). It is my buddy for solo diving. I have a set patten of kitting up, checks etc and I have a set patten of diving, so it works for me.

WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE and chill, diving is fun, mucking around with kit is fun, but not as much fun as I am about to have - diving some WW2 wreaks off Palma de Mallorca on Saturday. Had to rub that in as I just left cold wet Auckland and now sitting in 28 sunny degrees in the Med teaching for the week Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
ScubaDog

Postby Andy » Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:25 am

ScubaDog wrote:Does a pony actually increase your safety any more than good skills would. I think Andy might be the one to ask about that

My opininon, for what it's worth. It takes one of two preventable foul ups in order to resort to using the pony - not managing your gas, and losing your buddy.... Both qualify as "major" issues.... my rule is three minors or one major, you're out of there.

Every diver should always maintain a minimum gas reserve that allows them and a buddy to always make a safe ascent to the surface. In the event of an equipment failure leading to gas loss, you should be able to share air out of where ever you are, and up to the surface. The pony really provides a contingency for the event that either lose your buddy (or your buddy chooses to not help you - bad buddy choice!) or your buddy doesn't have enough gas to help you out.

Does it make you safer than good diving skills? Not sure there is really a straightforward answer to that - some kiwi (kai moana) divers are never going to get their diving/buddy skills up to the point where the pony is a secondary option, so in their case yes. But in many cases, learning a few simple rules about managing gas and paying attention to their dive/buddy would be more beneficial.

WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE and chill, diving is fun, mucking around with kit is fun, but not as much fun as I am about to have - diving some WW2 wreaks off Palma de Mallorca on Saturday. Had to rub that in as I just left cold wet Auckland and now sitting in 28 sunny degrees in the Med teaching for the week Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Git! Though I will not be too jealous, I am off to Ningaloo Reef tomorrow!!! :D
Andy
Serial Poster

Previous

Return to Recreational