Recreationally Technical ??

To discuss recreational diving, training, standards and continuing education.

Re: Recreationally Technical ??

Postby Andy » Tue May 25, 2010 11:05 am

Thanks, Tara.

The TB last year had this in it:

PADI Q3 Training Bulletin wrote:You may continue to use existing materials except for the instructor guide, to teach the new option. For instructors who wish to teach table use, the tables will be available as a set (metric or imperial) that includes the Equivalent Air Depth Table, Oxygen Exposure Table, EANx32 RDP, EANx36 RDP and an illustrated study guide that shows the student diver how to use them.

I missed the bit in italics when I read it the first time, my fault for skim reading. So the old instructor manual is probably still fine for teaching the old course, Pete. We will have to see whether the student manuals only come in the computer version in the future and therefore teaching tables will just have to be free-styled.
Andy
Serial Poster

Postby tara » Tue May 25, 2010 11:13 am

The new student course books dont talk about tables at all.
Massive #fail I think
tara
Dive Mistress

Postby nickd » Tue May 25, 2010 12:08 pm

Speaking as a newbie who wants to do all this stuff I'm keen on understanding how this actually works. Which to my mind, means learning how do do it manually before figuring out how to do it on a computer. In fact I don't much care about learning to do it on a computer in a course - I would expect that having an understanding of the theory and tables would mean that using a computer would be fairly straight forward. Especially if i owned it and had the user manuals.
Note that given my newbie status I'm talking out my backside here, so feel free to argue this one if I'm wrong! :)
nickd

Postby tara » Tue May 25, 2010 1:18 pm

we give 2 free nitrox fills with our EANx course - and *usually* are with the divers when they do them.

This means that the intro to requesting Nitrox, how we fill, analysing tanks and signing the logs is really meaningfull.
tara
Dive Mistress

Postby ChuckyBob » Tue May 25, 2010 2:34 pm

Pete wrote:
Andy wrote:I

Personally, I think the two nitrox dives shouldn't be optional.

Why not? What in water skills are different?
ChuckyBob

Postby Andy » Tue May 25, 2010 2:44 pm

Greg - are you asking me, or Pete?
Andy
Serial Poster

Postby tara » Tue May 25, 2010 2:49 pm

ChuckyBob wrote:Why not? What in water skills are different?

There are no in water skills.
tara
Dive Mistress

Postby ChuckyBob » Tue May 25, 2010 3:01 pm

Andy wrote:Greg - are you asking me, or Pete?

Eeer sorry bad quoting skills :(

I was asking Pete ( I already know your answer :wink: )
ChuckyBob

Postby ChuckyBob » Tue May 25, 2010 6:47 pm

Pete wrote:You don't think practicle application of the theory is worthy CB? I think planning the dive then diving it then reviewing the plan and the variations as appropriate practicle experience.

What practical application of the theory?
Doing the theory in class should prove you know it or not. Simply set your computer to the appropriate mix, be aware of your MOD and thats it.
There is zero practical skills to learn, its all theory.
Now I am sure there are some people who would choose to do the dives just for the chance to spend some more time with an instructor.

But lets look at the people who gain the most from doing a nitrox course. First off lets rule out those fairly new divers that have been talked into it by the LDS. They are probably not going to get that much benefit out of using nitrox. Chances are their dive times are limited by their SAC rates and abilities and not their NDL's.

Those that get the most out of the course are those that want to move on to advanced nitrox and nitrox is a prerequisite. ( thats why I did it) and those that do alot of diving and are hitting the NDL's. Both these groups are going top be fairly competent divers and being forced to pay for doing unnecessary nitrox dives may very well put them off. Lets face it, adding the cost of 2 dives to the course could easily double the cost. EG $150 boat fees + $40 gas costs. And please dont suggest they could be shore dives instead. WHo the hell would want to waist nitrox on a shallow shore dive where its going to offer no advantage.
ChuckyBob

Postby ChuckyBob » Tue May 25, 2010 7:00 pm

Pete wrote:so why didnt you just state your thoughts up front....

Because I was interested in the reasons you feel the dives are important.
ChuckyBob

Postby ChuckyBob » Tue May 25, 2010 8:08 pm

When you say "here" do you mean Wellington? Or are you referring to a particular shop?

I cant see any shop not factoring the cost of the boat.
$150 is the average cost for a day trip to the 'Knights. Where will $80 take you in Welliwood?
ChuckyBob

Previous

Return to Recreational