Where to from here?

To discuss recreational diving, training, standards and continuing education.

Where to from here?

Postby Sticks » Sat May 10, 2014 10:20 pm

Hi All, I’m recently OW certified with a dozen dives under my belt and was looking for some advice on where to go from here. My main goal is to do a liveaboard on the Great Barrier Reef sometime next year. In the shorter term, I was looking at getting my own gear, doing some further training and doing a shorter liveaboard at the Poor Knights later in the year (plus just trying to get out and dive as much as possible).

Is there any major difference between PADI AOW and SDI Adventure diver? I like the look of Rocksalt’s training and have read good things here. Are there other good instructors I should be considering?

Is it worth doing an AOW course sooner, with only a few logged dives, or to wait until I have more experience? Is it worth waiting to do this before I do the Poor Knights – would I miss much being limited to 18m and daytime diving in particular?

In a similar vein, is it worth doing Nitrox training for either or both of the liveaboards?

As far as gear goes, currently I’m just trying to get comfortable and try different gear setups (will be trying a BP/W in a couple of weeks) but I’m definitely looking to get my own at some point. Is it say, worth getting it before AOW so that I would be training in the gear I would be using long term (hopefully!), or better to hold off any get more advice?

Anyway, thanks for any help and advice people are able to give (and for all the info already on the forums)!
Sticks

Re: Where to from here?

Postby mattoau » Sat May 10, 2014 10:38 pm

No harm in doing the AOW now if you want. A night dive does not have to be done as part of a course, although I would certainly recommend doing your first couple with someone you trust if not with an instructor. When you go to the Knights you don't have to go deeper than 18m, but it is nice to be able to when you want to.

You need 20 dives minimum for the PADI nitrox course. It may also pay to wait until you dive the GBR, as some operators offer free fills if you do the course with them, Taka is one example.

Definitely try BP/W before you commit to buying.
mattoau

Postby ChuckyBob » Sun May 11, 2014 1:06 pm

If you want to do liveaboards then it does pay to have the cert cards for the dives you intend on doing.
In this regard, AOW, deep, night and nitrox are courses well worth doing.
For your day to day diving nitrox is not a huge advantage, but when doing a liveaboard where you may be doing 3 or more dives a day over a couple of days then it really pays off.

Just be aware some cert cards can be a waste of $$.
ChuckyBob

Postby AndrewRawlingson » Sun May 11, 2014 7:14 pm

I'm not sure AOW is of any value above doing 5 dives, but it does give you a certification to 30 metres I suppose. Nitrox is well worth it, in addition to added safety, it will give you longer NDL. The latter is not such a big deal on a typical reef dive, but you may appreciate it on wreck/square profile dives.
AndrewRawlingson

Postby somethin fishy » Tue May 13, 2014 9:16 am

I would certainly do your AOW as soon as you can and followed by the Rescue course soon after too.. In a world where time and money are no object Open Water – Rescue would be one course.

The AOW course will (with a good instructor) give you more confidence and introduce you to more diving experiences. After your AOW you should be confident and capable of planning a dive to 30m and maybe have more of an idea of where you will take your diving.

Rescue course will teach you how to look after yourself and others when things go wrong. You will also change your thinking and maybe some of your habits as you become more aware of your buddies and making sure they are ok, help them with any issues, etc. Where most new dives concentrate heavily on themselves and what they are doing only.
Andy Stewart
somethin fishy

Postby sugee » Tue May 13, 2014 11:23 pm

I have roughly done a dozen of dives too. I completed my aow at poor knights a few weeks back. I say you can enjoy the knights without going deeper than 18m but you got tot ry some of the deeper ones, really worth it.

I too have pretty much sorted with gears and glad i got a bp/wing setup.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
sugee

Postby divepirate » Wed May 14, 2014 11:06 am

I would strongly advise to join a club.
there are a few around the place and apart from getting out there, some clubs run discounted trips, social events, and you get to meet lots of divers with different interests.

(I.E. underwater photographers, hunter/gatherers/enviromentalists/tech divers etc etc..)
I used to belong to a club where the guys all started out into crayfish and scallops and within a short time they were doing wreck dives and loving it.
there is so much to experience in the underwater world...
Matt.
Forum Administrator.

I cant think of anything more relaxing, than being in the downunder, breathing some nice clean fresh filtered 21% nitrox.
divepirate
Forum Administrator

Return to Recreational