Aquanaut aquires SSI

Current diving information, topical reports and industry news.

Aquanaut aquires SSI

Postby Jason » Wed Nov 19, 2008 5:13 pm

the Grapevine tells me that Aquanaut have just bought SSI :!: :shock:

Anyone got more to add to this?
Just drifting along with whatever is current.
Currently I'm reading : The Art of Innovation by Tom Kelley.
Jason

Re: Aquanaut aquires SSI

Postby Andy » Wed Nov 19, 2008 6:32 pm

I find it interesting that wholesalers are at all interested in training agencies.... I wonder, in a market like NZ, what's going to happen? We're in a really strange market where certain wholesalers only supply certain shops.... I wonder if now they are going to start dictating which agencies those shops use for their training!?
Andy
Serial Poster

Postby Jason » Wed Nov 19, 2008 6:39 pm

So Pinnacle is Naui
...and now Aquanaut is SSI
Does this mean that 'someone' will buy PADI :?: (if they haven't already?)
Jason

Postby NEMES1S » Wed Nov 19, 2008 7:03 pm

Vampire Squid wrote:So Pinnacle is Naui
...and now Aquanaut is SSI
Does this mean that 'someone' will buy PADI :?: (if they haven't already?)

I think that will take more money than possible...

And I think if anybody could have AQUANAUGHT would have... :wink:
NEMES1S
Moderator / NIGHTDIVERS99 Crew

Postby Milky » Wed Nov 19, 2008 8:20 pm

In Indonesia at the money SSI is the "in" thing cause it's the cheapest certification agency in the country. For certification cost only, PADI cost over there US$76 while SSI is only US$23.

Could this be the answer y Aquanaut purchase SSI instead of other diving agency?
Alive to Dive
Milky

Postby Andy » Wed Nov 19, 2008 8:46 pm

Milky wrote:In Indonesia at the money SSI is the "in" thing cause it's the cheapest certification agency in the country. For certification cost only, PADI cost over there US$76 while SSI is only US$23.

Could this be the answer y Aquanaut purchase SSI instead of other diving agency?

That doesn't really make sense... the shop or instructor is the one who has to pay the certification fee, not the owner of the agency/licence.

If that was why they'd done it, surely they would have gone for the one that costs the most... i.e. the shops have to pay them the most, equals most profit?

I agree with you, Axe, I don't think this is really going to change much overall. I'd be really interested in knowing how many certifications the various agencies issue in NZ? I can't remember the exact number for PADI, but I recall a number of around 7000 per year bandied about at a recent member forum. I would guess that NAUI, SDI and SSI don't have the same level of market share here?
Andy
Serial Poster

Postby Milky » Wed Nov 19, 2008 8:54 pm

Andy wrote:
Milky wrote:In Indonesia at the money SSI is the "in" thing cause it's the cheapest certification agency in the country. For certification cost only, PADI cost over there US$76 while SSI is only US$23.

That doesn't really make sense... the shop or instructor is the one who has to pay the certification fee, not the owner of the agency/licence.

If that was why they'd done it, surely they would have gone for the one that costs the most... i.e. the shops have to pay them the most, equals most profit?

my divebuddy overthere who owns a diveshop/centre told me that for dive training he charges training costs (both PADI and SSI the same) plus certification card (PADI or SSI) plus dive trip.

He pushes SSI cause it is the cheapest. He is at the moment couldn't keep up with the demand. For Indonesians a different of US$50 is quite a lot........
Alive to Dive
Milky

Postby Andy » Wed Nov 19, 2008 8:58 pm

Milky wrote:my divebuddy overthere who owns a diveshop/centre told me that for dive training he charges training costs (both PADI and SSI the same) plus certification card (PADI or SSI) plus dive trip.

He pushes SSI cause it is the cheapest. He is at the moment couldn't keep up with the demand. For Indonesians a different of US$50 is quite a lot........

Yes, but the shop is the one paying the fee. If it was in NZ, he'd be paying that to Aquanaut now... so why would Aquanaut want the cheapest? I would have thought that they'd want to charge the shop/instructor as much as they can?
Andy
Serial Poster

Postby Milky » Wed Nov 19, 2008 9:02 pm

i understand your point now, Andy......

Yes u r right, y should aquanaut accept money the lowest from the diveshops??
Alive to Dive
Milky

Postby Andy » Wed Nov 19, 2008 9:06 pm

Milky wrote:Yes u r right, y should aquanaut accept money the lowest from the diveshops??

I have no idea why they would want to act as an agency body at all! The mind boggles!
Andy
Serial Poster

Postby Jason » Wed Nov 19, 2008 9:33 pm

Apparently Aquanaut has put out to its newly aquired LDS's that it (Aquanaut) is the best thing for the LDS's against the undercutting of (evil :twisted: )Online/internet purchases.
Jason

Postby Andy » Thu Nov 20, 2008 8:53 am

Vampire Squid wrote:Apparently Aquanaut has put out to its newly aquired LDS's that it (Aquanaut) is the best thing for the LDS's against the undercutting of (evil :twisted: )Online/internet purchases.

Well, if they could cut their wholesale prices a little or provide other incentives to shops to lower retail price then this could be true! I guess a "watch this space" is in order... :D
Andy
Serial Poster

Postby Xman » Wed Dec 17, 2008 10:34 am

Andy wrote:
Vampire Squid wrote:Apparently Aquanaut has put out to its newly aquired LDS's that it (Aquanaut) is the best thing for the LDS's against the undercutting of (evil :twisted: )Online/internet purchases.

Well, if they could cut their wholesale prices a little or provide other incentives to shops to lower retail price then this could be true! I guess a "watch this space" is in order... :D

Perhaps, but I certainly won't be holding my breath whilst watching this space. I don't expect any significant change in the business model of the wholesalers (despite an apparent need for one).
ImageXman
Forum Moderator
Xman

Postby Refraction » Wed Dec 17, 2008 5:54 pm

The thing that amazes me is wholesalers in NZ who, instead of being competitive, customer friendly and easy to to deal with from a retailers perspective, try other ways of protecting thier turf! Talk about rearrange the deckchairs on the f****n' Titanic. I bought Aquanaut gear about 3 years ago and am wrapped with it but when I talk to the retailers they would rather deal with other product even tho' they all seem to agree the product is great! Why? "Too dear and company too hard to deal with". Bollocks :evil: Bloody shame!
"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire.”
Refraction

Return to News & Reviews