Swim through an underwater museum anybody?

Current diving information, topical reports and industry news.

Swim through an underwater museum anybody?

Postby water baby » Wed Apr 07, 2010 2:21 pm

About 400 life-size casts will be submerged off the resort of Cancun by the end of 2010. It is hoped that the low-acidity cement figures, designed to be anti-corrosive and mimic rock, will be transformed over time into artificial reefs. Some will be in shallow waters for snorkellers to enjoy.

see the full article here
water baby

Re: Swim through an underwater museum anybody?

Postby Cameron_R » Wed Apr 07, 2010 2:41 pm

I wonder if they are planning on keeping them clean, or just letting nature have its way.

If the later, it won't take long until you won't be able to recognise any detail in the artists' work.
Cameron_R

Postby Phantom Menace » Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:24 pm

Not my cup of tea.

"Over the years everything from New York City subway cars to old tires have been tethered to the ocean floor in the hope the scraps can become a home to fish. One company in Florida even offers to cast the ashes of cremated relatives into an artificial reef that will become a "living legacy."

But improperly managed artificial reefs can cause more harm than good, coming unhinged in storms and wreaking havoc on the ocean ecosystems, according to Roberto Iglesias, a reef expert at Mexico's National Autonomous University, or UNAM. "

What was it that happened to the wreck sunk in Wellington?

Theme park anyone?
Phantom Menace

Postby Drip » Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:25 pm

Agree with PM.
Its nice to see an Artist do something 'nice' for the photographers and the Postcards (tourism for the local area via the LDS's).

But really, is it really designed to benefit the local aquatic inhabitants, let alone the local ecosystem??
After this - will it benefit the Fishing and SpearFishning Industries down the track??

I think it is 'nice' to see such works and have ashes 'buried' at sea - but are these just more misrepresentations/exploitations of those magical two words "Artificial Reefs" :?:
Currently north of Sydney off a beach called Avoca, hundreds of people turned up to support the sinking (dumping?) of a X-naval ship that has had some opposition from the local surfers and what-not. Again at first, the use of the words 'Artificial Reef' came into being, but it always proves to show that the true intention is TOURISM :!:
There is no guarrantee that every 'Dive Site' ship sunk turns into an Artificial Reef - many don't attain any growth at all.

I'm pretty sure Artists, Designers, Scientists, Researchers, etc can put their heads together and create an Artificial Reef that puts the Aquatic Life and Ecosystem first before catering to just 'shallow' Dive-Site'ing.

Also, if OH&S deems all 'dumped' X-ships are to be scrapped of any 'dangerous' peices, attachments, etc that prevent 'safe' swim-thrus for the upcoming Divers - then shouldn't other Wrecks (like the Lermie) be made 'unsafe' ?
Drip

Postby craigsmith » Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:00 pm

I never try to Swim through an underwater museum.
i think it is very tough task.
craigsmith

Return to News & Reviews