Sitech Inflator hose recall and a lesson learnt.

For information on product recall notices.

Sitech Inflator hose recall and a lesson learnt.

Postby binklebonk » Tue May 19, 2009 12:56 pm

Not sure if this has been mentioned on here but Sitech has issued a recall on their DS inflator hoses. These are the hoses that were supplied with the Bare suits that Pete was selling.

At the 1st stage end of the hose there is/was/should be a coloured insert thats purpose is to restrict the gas flow. Here is a link to info regarding the recall. http://www.sitech.se/pages/default_uk.a ... ionID=3562

So I checked my hoses and found that I did indeed have hoses that matched the recall numbers. I removed the inflator hoses from mine and my partners regs and noticed the insert was missing on my hose. Tore down the first stage, no insert.. unscrewed the LP from the 2nd stage and voila! there was the little bubbles nestled up against the inlet orifice looking ready to block it at a moments notice :shock:

So the lesson is look in the easiest places first! Pay attention to recall notices and don't assume the folk who made your gear know what they're doing! :lol:

It turns out the insert is only a sort of "training wheels" type arrangement for DS newbs as it makes the inflator slower to respond (how that's gonna help someone learning to use a suit I dunno..) and will slow down the suit inflation in the event of HP seat failure, as will of course disconnecting the Inflator hose...... They obviously mucked up the size of the insert and the fit is too sloppy. I've taken the other insert out.
binklebonk

Re: Sitech Inflator hose recall and a lesson learnt.

Postby Andy » Tue May 19, 2009 2:06 pm

Ta, bink.

I'll have to check mine when I get home....
Andy
Serial Poster

Postby justsimon » Tue May 19, 2009 4:54 pm

Eeek. That's me too.

Thank you.

(And took about 2 minutes to fix. :D )
justsimon
U/W Photographic genius

Postby binklebonk » Tue May 19, 2009 5:41 pm

So it was still in place or did you look at the 2nd stage end first?...
binklebonk

Postby justsimon » Wed May 20, 2009 8:30 am

So it was still in place or did you look at the 2nd stage end first?...

It was still in place. I had a look at the utube vid on how to do it and did that. It came out very easily.
justsimon
U/W Photographic genius

Postby binklebonk » Wed May 20, 2009 9:17 am

I realised talking to someone about it last night that my post may have given the impression that I found the insert at what could be described as the 2nd stage on the suit. The inflator assembly on the suit is effectively a 2nd stage as well as the breathing 2nd stages, as they both allow for the delivery of air coming from an intermediate pressure to the user at ambient pressure..

No I found the insert at the inlet of the 2nd stage on my secondary regulator, so the insert had made it through the 1st stage and then down the LP hose .. A more serious (potentially) situation.
binklebonk

Postby justsimon » Wed May 20, 2009 10:53 am

I realised talking to someone about it last night that my post may have given the impression that I found the insert at what could be described as the 2nd stage on the suit.

That's what I thought.

No I found the insert at the inlet of the 2nd stage on my secondary regulator, so the insert had made it through the 1st stage and then down the LP hose .. A more serious (potentially) situation.

How on earth did it get there? It would have had to be sucked up into the reg - doesn't air flow the other way?
justsimon
U/W Photographic genius

Postby binklebonk » Wed May 20, 2009 11:02 am

Well I think the primary reason for the recall on the inserts was due to inconsistent diameters.. So on some of the inflator hoses the insert could fall out into the 1st stage whilst the reg is not being used then when the reg is used again the air flow can migrate it around..

The channels inside a 1st stage make it very easy for stuff that is in there to move around, it's very basic plumbing..
binklebonk

Postby justsimon » Wed May 20, 2009 11:07 am

Well I think the primary reason for the recall on the inserts was due to inconsistent diameters.. So on some of the inflator hoses the insert could fall out into the 1st stage whilst the reg is not being used then when the reg is used again the air flow can migrate it around..

The channels inside a 1st stage make it very easy for stuff that is in there to move around, it's very basic plumbing..

That would make sense. My insert came out a lot easier than the insert on the Utube vid appeared to.

Lucky escape. I can imagine having to use the octi and inhaling a small piece of plastic on top of everything else. :shock:
justsimon
U/W Photographic genius

Postby binklebonk » Wed May 20, 2009 11:18 am

Yes the bitter/sweet hilarity of choking to death on a small piece of plastic whilst diving hadn't escaped me.. viewtopic.php?f=120&t=3334 :lol:
binklebonk

Postby Milky » Wed May 20, 2009 12:23 pm

Thanks for the warning mate,

i better check mine when i get home.
Alive to Dive
Milky

Postby binklebonk » Wed May 20, 2009 12:39 pm

justsimon wrote:That would make sense. My insert came out a lot easier than the insert on the Utube vid appeared to.

Yeah very inconsistent, the insert was relatively difficult to get out of my partners inflator hose. I had to give a decent tug with pliers once the insert was on the screw.
binklebonk

Postby justsimon » Wed May 20, 2009 5:57 pm

Yes the bitter/sweet hilarity of choking to death on a small piece of plastic whilst diving hadn't escaped me.. viewtopic.php?f=120&t=3334

:lol:
justsimon
U/W Photographic genius

Postby Milky » Sat Jun 13, 2009 8:57 pm

It took me only few seconds to get it out.
Alive to Dive
Milky

Postby binklebonk » Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:45 pm

It seems someone died in the US very recently in what has been decided was related to the migration of the little restrictor insert that is the subject of this recall. It seems six have report migration of the restrictor including yours truly..
SI Tech Recalls Diving Suit Hoses Due to Drowning Hazard; One Death Reported

WASHINGTON, D.C. - The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission, in cooperation with the firm named below, today announced a voluntary recall of the following consumer product. Consumers should stop using recalled products immediately unless otherwise instructed.

Name of Product: Diving Air Hose for Dry Suits

Units: About 65,000

Manufacturer: SI Tech AB, of Brastad, Sweden

Hazard: The hose contains an insert that can dislodge during diving and restrict air flow to the diver, posing a drowning hazard.

Incidents/Injuries: SI Tech has received six reports of hose inserts dislodging, including one that was involved in the death of a diver in Los Angeles, Calif.

Description: This recall involves a dry suit inflation hose that connects a diver’s dry suit to the air supply and allows for the pumping of air into the suit to set up a positive pressure arrangement to help keep it watertight. The hose contains an air flow restricting insert that may be either black, blue or green in color. The batch code is stamped on the threaded metal end of the hose. They were sold with dry suits and also sold separately. Contact SI Tech for a list of batch codes included in this recall or visit the firm’s Web site, http://www.sitech.se

Sold at: Diving equipment retailers and distributors nationwide from July 2006 through February 2009 for about $45.

Manufactured in: Sweden

Remedy: Consumers should immediately stop using diving equipment that contains the recalled low pressure inflation hoses and contact SI Tech for the location of an authorized dealer for a free repair which involves removal of the hose insert, or to receive instructions on how to repair the hose.

Consumer Contact: For additional information, contact SI Tech at (877) 348-3529 anytime, visit http://www.sitech.se, or email the firm at recall@sitech.se
binklebonk

Return to Recall Notices