G'day from Hawkes Bay

Welcome and thank you for joining our forum! Please introduce yourself to us!
PLEASE NOTE YOU HAVE TO REGISTER TO SEE MOST FORUMS.

G'day from Hawkes Bay

Postby P38 » Wed Feb 18, 2009 8:29 pm

G'day

My names Pete.

I've been snorkeling for donkeys years collecting the oceans bounty, but been Scuba Diving since 1999.

Acheived SSI Dive Con and several specialties with Dive HQ in Napier when they first started up.

Haven't dived for a few years for various reasons but are now getting back into it.

Things I like about diving, the adventure , all the creatures a you encounter on each dive, the people you meet.

Things I dislike, zero vis, divers who disregard their own and their buddies safety, Dive charters who over state and under deliver on their abilities and lack of a regular dive buddy.

I also love riding motorbikes and are a excellent photographer, but not underwater...yet.

I look forward to reading about everyones adventures here in this forum.

Cheers
Pete
P38

Re: G'day from Hawkes Bay

Postby NEMES1S » Wed Feb 18, 2009 8:33 pm

P38 wrote:
Things I dislike, zero vis, divers who disregard their own and their buddies safety, Dive charters who over state and under deliver on their abilities and lack of a regular dive buddy.

Welcome dude...and agree 150%... :D
NEMES1S
Moderator / NIGHTDIVERS99 Crew

Postby P38 » Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:25 pm

NEMES1S wrote:
P38 wrote:

Thanks Nemesis

Never dived down your way but heard plenty of good reports.
P38

Postby NEMES1S » Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:30 pm

P38 wrote:
NEMES1S wrote:
P38 wrote:

Thanks Nemesis

Never dived down your way but heard plenty of good reports.

Yeah Wellington has some great dives,have a flick through some of the trip reports we have put up for Pete's NIGHTDIVERS99 Crew dives,we have had some really great dives last year,just fabulous...and this year is off to a good start as well.
Look us up if you are ever down these ways too.. :D
NEMES1S
Moderator / NIGHTDIVERS99 Crew

Postby P38 » Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:39 pm

NEMES1S wrote:Yeah Wellington has some great dives,have a flick through some of the trip reports we have put up for Pete's NIGHTDIVERS99 Crew dives,we have had some really great dives last year,just fabulous...and this year is off to a good start as well.
Look us up if you are ever down these ways too.. :D

I will

P38

Postby Chels » Thu Feb 19, 2009 8:20 am

Kia ora Pete, welcome to the forum mate!!! As per Nems' post, if you're ever in Wellys let us know and come out with us!! Hows the diving in the bay?? Never been diving up there, but hoping to at some stage this year :D
To infinity and beyond!!!
Chels
NIGHTDIVERS99 Crew

Postby P38 » Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:16 pm

Chels wrote:Kia ora Pete, welcome to the forum mate!!! As per Nems' post, if you're ever in Wellys let us know and come out with us!! Hows the diving in the bay?? Never been diving up there, but hoping to at some stage this year :D

Thanks Chels

The diving is great in and around Hawkes Bay .... the vis sucks most days 1-5m, but when it clears 10m+ the diving is awesome.

However learning to dive in poor vis has it's advantages..... can navigate pretty good, dont freak out when ya can no longer see your hands ... dive buddy etc :wink: really appriciate any dive site where you can see more than a body length in front of you.

Pania reef is interesting but very weather dependent. Northern rock is good for diving with the kingis, Lots of crays here too.
However it does loose its shine a bit once you have logged 50 or more dives in this area.

Some shore diving south of Hastings including Te angiangi marine reserve.

Kairakau is my favourite for gathering Paua, Snorkel ony.
Poaching has meant a long walk rock hopping but I figure it's worth it.

I hear Bare Island off Waimarama is good too but havent had the chance to dive there yet.

I'd love to dive around Wellington but not knowing anyone or any of the local dive sites and conditions down that way has been the drawback.
P38

Return to Haere mai!